Author Topic: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.  (Read 156640 times)

Re: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.
« Reply #100 on: 23 November, 2014, 03:58:16 am »

The "Freda B," a gaff-topsail schooner (so they said) used for tours and charters on San Francisco Bay, in the Golden Gate
scottclark.photoshelter.com

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #101 on: 23 November, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »
MS Lofoten, the darling of the Hurtugriten fleet that runs up and down the Norwegian coast, turned 50 this year and still going strong.

Interesting and unusual to me, especially, cos I'm aboard at the moment :)  And it's great.  They are working ferries, so the locals use them and they carry cargo (and, in the past, the post).  This one's the only one that doesn't carry cars, and all the cargo is loaded by crane.  It's like a slightly posher CalMac ferry with cabins...

We left Bergen late last night, had what the captain claimed was a very smooth overnight passage (well he would say that, wouldn't he), and have just spent a rather wet and rainy 3 hr break in Ålesund.  Now winding our way generally northwards through various fjords and channels and sunds, towards the reported cold and snow.  All 53 of us, on a ship with a carrying capacity of 350, so it's wonderfully peaceful and uncrowded.  Nordkapp here we come!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #102 on: 23 November, 2014, 04:02:35 pm »
Superb. I may well have been on that boat - in 1976 as a very young notyetdrme.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #103 on: 23 November, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »

The "Freda B," a gaff-topsail schooner (so they said) used for tours and charters on San Francisco Bay, in the Golden Gate
Very pretty.

Schooner. Check.
Gaff. Check.

I don't see a yard which would enable her to set a topsail though.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #104 on: 23 November, 2014, 05:52:19 pm »
I got that wrong. I was thinking that a topsail could only ever be a squaresail. A topsail is also the triangular sail that is set above the gaff.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #105 on: 23 November, 2014, 06:43:59 pm »
I got that wrong. I was thinking that a topsail could only ever be a squaresail. A topsail is also the triangular sail that is set above the gaff.

Correct. My guess is a topsail only gets set on the rear mast.

« Reply #106 on: 24 November, 2014, 01:57:49 pm »
It's unlikely but possible it will take a square topsail. The upper part of the rear mast might be lowerable independent of other rigging. Rig yrd for topsail on mast, hoist back up and off you go.

Bloody hard work tho.

I had to hoist up the bowsprit on our (sadly rotting) boat two weeks ago and it half-killed me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

billplumtree

« Reply #107 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:08:39 pm »

Woke up this morning to find another Hurtigruten ship, MS Nordkapp, at 11,000 tonnes, dwarfing my svelte little Lofoten (2,600).  This one's southbound - ships that cross in the night, eh? - and was around for long enough for the Lofoten ruffians to be allowed on board to see how the other half live:

The panoramic lounge

Staircase for them as choose not to use one of the lifts.  Lift?!

For comparison, here's our all-purpose meeting point/reception/ticket office:

And taking cargo on board this morning brings a new meaning to loading a skip:

I know which I prefer...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #108 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:27:53 pm »
Slumming it.
Getting there...

billplumtree

« Reply #109 on: 25 November, 2014, 03:35:13 pm »
Well, I suppose she's not so bad...

We lost our speedboat late on last night (see, more boat content) in Rørvik

and today we are been mostly carrying christmas trees :)

billplumtree

« Reply #110 on: 25 November, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »
More pics here btw,which I'll try to keep updating rather than head way off topic in this thread.  Boaty type stuff, however, I regard as fair game  ;)

Docked in Bodø this afternoon

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #111 on: 25 November, 2014, 05:30:50 pm »
More pics here btw,which I'll try to keep updating rather than head way off topic in this thread.
Some nice photos there, Bill. But that island - sure, it's bare, bleak, grim even - but I wouldn't call it fugly!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

billplumtree

« Reply #112 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »
 ;D  Lofoten's in Lofoten tonight - MS Lofoten docked in Svolvaer, capital of the Lofoten Islands; fish-drying racks on the left.

« Reply #113 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:47:11 pm »
Ace BPT.
Thanks!

« Reply #114 on: 26 November, 2014, 04:30:16 am »
I'm becoming very jealous of your trip, Mr. Plumtree

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #115 on: 26 November, 2014, 09:38:42 am »
I'm becoming very jealous of your trip, Mr. Plumtree

This.  My former in-laws have done it in the summer and were going to repeat it in winter at the start of this year but had to pull out due to one or other of them not being well.  Perhaps I should point them at this thread :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

billplumtree

« Reply #116 on: 26 November, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »

Leaving behind another of the bigger Hutrigrutes, MS Richard With, in Harstad this morning.  Taken at about 8am - the blue hour lasted for most of the morning...

« Reply #117 on: 27 November, 2014, 03:54:26 am »

Research vessels (my favorite kind of unusual boaty type things):

Oregon State University's R/V Elakha, outbound from Newport, OR

NOAA's R/V McArthur II
"The ship conducts oceanographic research and assessments, throughout the eastern Pacific, including the U.S. West Coast, Central and South America. McArthur II is involved in studies in several of the National Marine Sanctuaries on the west coast of the United States. The 224-foot ship engages in measurements of chemical, meteorological, and biological sampling for several large scale programs within NOAA."

The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute's R/V, um, Whatsername, Moss Landing Harbor, CA

R/V John H. Martin & R/V Sheila B., Moss Landing Harbor, CA
These research vessels belong to Moss Landing Marine Laboratories, which "administers the Master of Science in marine science program for California State Universities in northern and central California."

billplumtree

« Reply #118 on: 27 November, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »
The ship's Garmin this morning told us were above 71°N:

All thanks to our new, and equally esteemed, captain Eivind Lande (who I suspect of also being Norwegian),

This was how the not-sunrise looked at about 10am,

and it continued to look much like that until the not-sunset at around 2pm.  This was shortly before noon:

This bit was rather special:

Moonrise at the North Cape, 1pm.

A few more here, including the Action Man and Barbie recreations of the time the King of Sweden came to the Nordkapp...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #119 on: 28 November, 2014, 08:32:49 am »
If I had the time to sail it and some spare cash, actually the time would be the harder to find than the cash, I'd have one of these built.  I think it's a beautiful boat, with a very clever design and would be perfect for exploring the east coast and Thames Estuary.

« Reply #120 on: 28 November, 2014, 09:23:44 am »
In which case, this might be of interest.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #121 on: 28 November, 2014, 09:26:23 am »
Or even this.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #122 on: 28 November, 2014, 09:28:09 am »
If I had the time to sail it and some spare cash, actually the time would be the harder to find than the cash, I'd have one of these built.  I think it's a beautiful boat, with a very clever design and would be perfect for exploring the east coast and Thames Estuary.
Hmm - I'd prefer something either much lighter or bigger, like a cornish shrimper.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #123 on: 28 November, 2014, 10:28:17 am »
Hmm - I'd prefer something either much lighter or bigger, like a cornish shrimper.

It would be nice for inland waters, but I would like a bit more freeboard  for coastal sailing. I note there is no RCD specified for the design.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #124 on: 28 November, 2014, 11:17:22 am »
I often see rather interesting  vessels in Great Yarmouth harbour and the River Yare. They primarily support the construction and maintenance of offshore wind farms. The jack-up rigs and various support vessels are remarkably effective, manoeuvrable (and ugly). Unfortunately, my job prevents me posting pictures.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...