Author Topic: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.  (Read 156783 times)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
Re: Interesting and unusual boaty type things.
« Reply #125 on: 28 November, 2014, 04:45:57 pm »
Ah, but do they carry christmas trees?  Ours were unloaded in the night, to save xm*s for some barren treeless north Norway port, and replaced by a cherry-picker crane.  Which was in turn unloaded in Kirkenes:

Kirkenes, being only 5 miles from the Russian border, had a few interesting boaty type things, like

a bunch of Russian trawlers, and

the Geo Arctic, a research/survey ship.

I've added a few more pics, less boaty for those who are that way inclined, to the previous ones here

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #126 on: 28 November, 2014, 05:10:10 pm »
Or even this.

Yes, read his book too.  And I've read Charles Stock's book as well.

If I had the time to sail it and some spare cash, actually the time would be the harder to find than the cash, I'd have one of these built.  I think it's a beautiful boat, with a very clever design and would be perfect for exploring the east coast and Thames Estuary.
Hmm - I'd prefer something either much lighter or bigger, like a Cornish shrimper.

I'd happily own and sail a Shrimper plus any other boaty type objects of it's ilk.  I've also had a hankering for a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser.  It's a time thing really; I don't have the time to sail and cycle (having to work for a living is such a pain  >:(  )

What I like about the Faering is you can row it as well as sail it.  Rowing is something I'd like to try.

billplumtree

« Reply #127 on: 29 November, 2014, 04:21:14 pm »
Boaty-type things seen today:

MS Nordlys leaving Havøysund at 9am, having blocked the only berth for ages and kept us from unloading this morning. Ha!- who's the old-fashioned inefficient one, again?

Other-worldly LNG carrier off the Hammerfest LNG terminal this afternoon.

And some details from Lofoten, having had a tour of the bridge today:

The original 1964 telegraph to the engine room, actually still in use. But they do have other systems too - a disappointing little black lever is the main speed control.

Wonderful mix of modern and old.

I know, I know, the horizon's not level.  There is a good reason for that, you know...  And it was a damn sight less level than that in last night's force 7 and 5m waves!  The contents of my desk scattered themselves all over the floor at 4am, and the contents of my bed were close to doing the same.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #128 on: 29 November, 2014, 09:37:39 pm »
If Quentin Tarantino ever decides to make Kill Bill Vol. 3 there'll be a queue to play any assassin.

Some great pictures there.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

billplumtree

« Reply #129 on: 30 November, 2014, 05:31:04 pm »
 :-*

OK, so today we are mostly carrying, apart from what's hidden on pallets in the hold (up to 180 of em at a time, all loaded one at a time by crane - no wonder we get a bit late sometimes), rope and frozen fish.  The fish are kept on deck (it's not like it's going to thaw, is it?), ever since the infamous fishy water leaking from the hold into the cabins incident that resulted in the whole ship being evacuated.

Looking for fish...

Now that's what I call a museum. MS Finnmarken, propped up on dry land, with a roof put on her, was once the Hurtigruten flagship and is now (most of) the Hurtigruten museum in Stokmarknes.

The cabins have changed a bit...

...I suppose.

The 1st class smoking lounge

"11 days that will last a lifetime". Yeah, I can see that.

More, as usual, at the bottom of the becoming-very-long-and-unwieldy album here.

« Reply #130 on: 30 November, 2014, 05:35:03 pm »
Lovin' the pics Billplumtree.  :thumbsup:
Would love to know your itinerary, through whom you organised your trip, cost etc.
Insanely envious.

billplumtree

« Reply #131 on: 01 December, 2014, 09:21:15 pm »
Would love to know your itinerary, through whom you organised your trip, cost etc.
Will try to find time to fill in some of the details tomorrow, seeing as the weather forecast is for grey and bumpy.

Today was grey, if not bumpy, and no especially interesting ports of call, so a bit quiet.  Quiet cargo-wise an'all - heading north, there's all sorts of stuff being shipped from the populous industrial south to the rural north, whereas heading south, generally speaking, it's fish...

So, they took our two boxes of fish off at some point,

and took on

four boxes of fish.

Later on, we got dwarfed again, this time by the Hurtigrute MS Richard With:

(that's Lofoten on the left, wearing her new xm*s lights.  Pretty, eh?)

A quick tour convinced me I chose the right ship for me (Jurek, do your research on this!):

And off she sailed into the night, heading northwards to ice and snow and darkness and northern lights...

billplumtree

« Reply #132 on: 02 December, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »
Today, the penultimate day of the trip, we woke up in Trondheim (again), and loaded...

chain...

...wheelie bins, tyres (studded, of course), fish (of course), and assorted stuff wrapped in plastic.

And then we (the nerds that wanted one) got a tour of the engine room  8)  "Don't touch the tappy bits on the top", the chief engineer warned us.

The main engine, the 50-year old, 300,000 hours service, original. 3,500 hp, 1m stroke, runs at a constant speed of 190 rpm (ok, 200 in an emergency).  And has tappy bits on top  ;D  Connected directly to the single variable-pitch propellor.  No bow props or thrusters or any of that fancy stuff: just a propellor and a rudder, and artful turning on the anchor in port by the captain.

The business end of the telegraph.

Auxiliary engines for everything else apart from propulsion. The two grey ones are the original ones, now backups to the single, modern (relatively), green one.  Note the compulsory oily red rag.

Er, a lever and some dials.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #133 on: 02 December, 2014, 01:17:17 pm »
Interesting way of adding home comforts to the helming position on this ketch.

216km from Marsh Gibbon

billplumtree

« Reply #134 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:10:32 am »
Last day today  :'(

And today we are carrying,

hardly anything.  Just a few sheets of zinc steel mesh, plus whatever's on pallets in the hold. But no fish.

We're a couple of hours late, cos the weather is mostly doing this:

- we had another desk-clearing force 7 last night.  There was an almighty crash from the kitchen at one point, followed by some interesting-sounding and emphatically exclaimed Norwegian words which I couldn't find in the dictionary.

So, instead of scenery, here's a cheery pic of the interesting and unusual boaty dining room:

Bergen this afternoon, and then it's all over and I'll have to come home in one of those infernal, uncivilised jet airliner machines.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #135 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:41:20 am »
Thank you for your fascinating photos and words. It's especially wonderful to see the mix of passengers and odd cargo. I feel a great need to tour the coast of Norway.

Drift?!!! I guess it doesn't mean quite the same in Norwegian.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

billplumtree

« Reply #136 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:13:00 pm »
Thanks Cudz.  Final two from this afternoon to finish off:

When they said the ship was listed, I thought they meant for its features of historical interest...

Berthed back in Bergen.
The end.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #137 on: 05 December, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Very nice Mr Bumtree. Now you can have a drool over a book I have at work, with oodles of craft. You have to ask yourself … "Where are they now!"

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #138 on: 05 December, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »
Nice book, but stop posting your galleass.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Riggers

« Reply #139 on: 05 December, 2014, 04:22:11 pm »
Ha ha. And on the opposite page we have the Brighton 'Hoggie'. Don't think we have any more of these lovely looking chaps on the water.

Riggers

« Reply #140 on: 08 December, 2014, 02:15:18 pm »
Ride yesterday went past Shoreham Dock:

billplumtree

« Reply #141 on: 10 December, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »
Sorry Jurek, been busy sorting through a bazillion photos...

All done through Hurtigruten on the web.  There's loads of stuff on their web site, though not always easy to find.  In fact, while the boaty bit was, as you would hope, well-run and efficient, the admin side seemed a bit more hit-and-miss.  I warned them, when I booked, that I'm a nut-allergic vegetarian;  when I arrived on board they'd had no notification of this, nor were they expecting the other half-dozen veggies.  Chef just shrugged, got on with it, and we were fed wonderfully well for the whole trip.

Itinerary depends when you go.  Here's mine, for instance.  Excursions, such as sledging with huskies, are extra.  I didn't bother mostly, and was happy just wandering around the various ports we stopped at (sometimes for half an hour or less, other times for 3 hours in the bigger places like Trondheim, Tromsø).  This time of year though, is the quiet time - we had 53 passengers at most, and at times had fewer passengers than the 41 crew - which is great for prices but means a lot, like most, of the excursions get cancelled for lack of numbers.  So, if that's what floats your boat, go when it's busier.

I did the full round trip, Bergen - Kirkenes - Bergen.  Quite a few just did the Bergen - Kirkenes bit, and all the ones I spoke to regretted not choosing the full journey!  For me, booking fairly late, it was a no-brainer:  taking the inducements such as full board, free Nordkapp trip into account, it was actually cheaper to do the whole trip than a shorter one.  This time of year, they really are desperate to get as many paying punters on board as they can...

So pricewise, now is about the cheapest time to go, it's merely expensive rather than eye-watering.  Bear in mind, it /is/ Norway, full board, and a 2500km round trip though...  Look out for single supplement waiver offers too, if you're going on your own, otherwise it's just ridiculous.  You can book the whole thing, including flights and airport transfers, through Hurtigruten, but it just adds even more to the cost; I booked my own flights and had no trouble catching the Flybussen into Bergen, and saved a couple of hundred quid. 

Pricing is very much based on demand.  If you go to www.hurtigruten.com/uk/norway-voyages/Winter/Voyages/classic-winter-voyages/ and use the Search button on the top right (took me ages to find this), it takes you to a live monthly pricing grid, listing ship and price for each day.

Choice of ship is possibly the most important decision to make; it's certainly at least second, after when to go.  I loved the Lofoten, 50 years old, down to earth, cosy, characterful, you always knew you were on a boat ;-)  Others are bigger, more comfortable, stable, air-conditioned; had their own hydraulically-lowered gangways rather than one delivered on a forklift truck, that kind of thing.  YMMV, obv.  There's a different one leaves Bergen each day, on a 12-day cycle, so you can juggle ship and day choice to suit you.

There's a very readable blog of a trip on the Lofoten a couple of years ago with loads of information in it which might be of interest.  And feel free to PM me for any more information.

« Reply #142 on: 11 December, 2014, 07:45:46 am »
Thanks for that Billplumtree - something I'll doubtless look into this weekend.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #143 on: 11 December, 2014, 07:17:56 pm »
Thank you for your fascinating photos and words. It's especially wonderful to see the mix of passengers and odd cargo. I feel a great need to tour the coast of Norway.

Drift?!!! I guess it doesn't mean quite the same in Norwegian.
No. It can mean many things but in this case means power or drive. Start and Stopp mean what you think. On the telegraph, Sakte == softly and Ganske Sakte means quite softly or extremely softly, so slow and dead slow being the English.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #144 on: 13 December, 2014, 11:43:30 am »
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #145 on: 15 December, 2014, 10:35:16 am »
 :o How does that thing manoeuvre in a crosswind?

The scale of nautical things is amazing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #146 on: 15 December, 2014, 11:03:58 am »
And how do they load the barges?  Does the whole thing sink and the barges float on?  But then how do the barges get stacked?  It's an amazing vessel.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #147 on: 15 December, 2014, 11:19:43 am »
It is a semi-submersible barge, so would be able to sink allowing the preloaded barges to float into position. They would need to load the bottom most barge with their cargo of barges and they must have been close to sinking themselves unless they were loaded conventionally.

It has a bow thruster and a couple of retractable thrusters for manoeuvrability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Blue_Marlin
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #148 on: 17 December, 2014, 04:25:13 pm »
Crikey - load deck almost 600 feet long, big enough to carry a destroyer.

Or an uncompleted helicopter carrier, whose bows were obviously hanging off the Marlin's stern.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #149 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:52:56 pm »
Crikey - load deck almost 600 feet long, big enough to carry a destroyer.

At first I thought that was the HMS whatever which got a bit stranded in Aus, but it is a US boat instead.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes