Author Topic: The secret of good BBQ steak..?  (Read 1215 times)

The secret of good BBQ steak..?
« on: 19 April, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »
Anyone know how to do a mean BBQ steak?  I haven't done steak on the BBQ for years, and my attempt on Sunday was on the tough n'chewy side.

So... best steak cut, best timing, best technique?   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: The secret of good BBQ steak..?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »
Don't have the BBQ too hot ie leave it until the charcoal has white ash and is glowing not flaming. Make sure the steak is room temperature not cold before you put it on and don't cook it for too long. A couple of minutes per side for rare and maybe three or four for medium. If the steaks are really thick you might want to raise the grill so you can cook for a bit slower so as to give the heat chance to reach the middle before the outside is totally fragged.
I like sirloin or rump on a BBQ.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »
Yep, I'd go along with that.

Also, after cooking, keep it somewhere warm and let it rest for a few minutes - a pre-warmed serving dish loosely covered with foil is ideal. But not too warm cos you don't want it to continue cooking.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:35:52 pm »
OK cheers.  I did cook it later on, after the sausages and chicken, but probably left it too long.

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »
Smudge is right you must let it rest for a bit after cooking. It will be jucier. If you don't let it rest the juices just end up on the plate and the steak tastes tougher.

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:42:07 pm »
I would get an off cut of iron road plate to cook on, just enough to make a small skillet.

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »
Our butcher always recommends rib-eye steak for the BBQ as it has a bit more fat content and so tends to stay more moist when cooked.  It has never failed us (when I've managed to save up enough to buy them!)

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2010, 05:43:28 pm »
You don't really hear of people 'tenderising' steak much - either by bashing with meat hammer, or treating with fruit (papain) extract.  Anyone done this?

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:10:17 pm »
You don't need to with good steak.

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2010, 09:00:28 am »
Yesterday I bought two sirloin steaks (same packet), and one of them has been soaking o/n in the remains/scrapings off the inside of the cored skin of our fresh pineapple.  So this evening, I'll do a highly scientific 'experiment', and see if the treatment makes a noticeable difference.

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »
Thanks for the tips because the sirloin steak (Sat's 2nd bbq of the yr) was really tender and juicy - a vast improvement.  The pineapple marinated steak was more tender, though the surface of the steak had an almost powdery texture.  As you said pc, tenderising a good steak not necessary.