Author Topic: iLove my iPhone  (Read 25804 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
iLove my iPhone
« on: 29 September, 2009, 05:35:10 pm »
I've fallen completely And hopelessly in love with my iPhone.

I recently upgraded my contract, tagging £5 a month onto the contract and got an iPhone 3G s 16GB - a great move considering it has reduced my monthly phone bill by around £10 and got me a super-awesome phone to boot!

It has revolutionised my life.

I now spend less time each day in the office, because I know that if a client emails in a query, or my boss needs something doing, I will know about it and either be able to respond immidiately or when I get back to my home pc. I can take time out at the weekend without worrying that soemething is blowing up without me. It is good for our client service, as even if I can't answer their question right away, I cam respond to them and let them know someone is looking after them.

When my dad was given his work blackberry, he didn't stop harping on about how it was a tool of the devil, but for me, it has given me more free time and less worry.

My only complaint is that the battery can only just cope with a day out of the office handling phone calls and email.  A few times I have gone home with a dead battery.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: iLove my iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:37:12 pm »
I know what you mean, I'm hooked. i'd recommend getting a Power Monkey, for those flat-moments!

https://powertraveller.com/

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:39:57 pm »
When my XDA Orbit died on LEL not having a phone was a nuisanse. Not having email and the net was a disaster!

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
Our Corporate IT Security rules mean no forwarding work emails to personal accounts, and our work email is not available via LDAP or POP from the outside world. I love this. Being able to read my work email outside work would just annoy me, and others around me but then I'm rarely ever working without my laptop (and therefore access).

As for battery life, get a PowerMonkey or, cheaper, a cheapo battery pack that takes 4 AA batteries and provides power by USB although the latter are somethings a bit iffy (mine failed to work on LEL until I was at the finish!). 100g or so and it'll be good for a couple of charges.

If I'd remembered to put my iPhone on flight mode in between every control1 on LEL I reckon I could have got through the entire 5 days without needing to recharge with about 10 minutes of phone use a day, 10 minutes of t'internet and 4 or 5 photos.

A flash for the camera would be about the only thing I'd want for it.

1. No/crap signal means the phone boosts the power in the search for a base station. I forgot to do this a couple of times and it quickly sapped the power from the battery.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:47:25 pm »
I have a BlackBerry for work and am going to get an iPhone for non-work stuff.  I am looking forward to comparing the two.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:59:08 pm »
Comparing my iPhone with my colleague's blackberry, the iPhone wins hands down. It wins on just about every count going apart from the fact that we pay £2 a quater to allow my phone access to our exchange server. But for those £2, I get full functionality, the guys on blackberry don't.

I particularly like the way that if you shake the phone, it opens an 'undo' facility and also the rate at which the phone will accept a charge. From the mains it is lightning fast and through USB it is still faster than my previous phone would take from the mains. The charger is natty too, letting you unplug the cable and carry it unobtrousivly for USB charging in your pocket, the only prob being it is rather a short cable. Ooh, I also love the quality of the auto-correct for typing. I don't know if it actually does, but it is appearing to learn my commo mistakes.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2009, 06:04:13 pm »
Like all things Apple, the accessories (like the cable) aren't cheap though.

A dock? That'll be £19, and no cable included. USB cable is another £12 if I remember correctly.

There are non-apple versions available for cheaper though.

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »
I'm looking forward to getting mine, but my current contract doesn't run out until the end of the year, which coincidentally is when Vodafone and Orange are allowed to start selling them, so with any luck there'll be a price war and a few better deals around than the current O2 contracts.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »
My wife has just gone from a BlackBerry to an iPhone and is finding the iPhone keyboard harder to use.  With the BB you type with both thumbs.  The iPhone seems to work better using the tip of one finger.

ian

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »
My wife has just gone from a BlackBerry to an iPhone and is finding the iPhone keyboard harder to use.  With the BB you type with both thumbs.  The iPhone seems to work better using the tip of one finger.

It's a different way of typing - take a little getting used to if you're already au fait with the BB.

Personally, I find the BB sucky in more ways than I can adequately enumerate - still trying to persuade the mothership to provide me with an iPhone for 'research' purposes.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »
I know what you mean, I'm hooked. i'd recommend getting a Power Monkey, for those flat-moments!

https://powertraveller.com/

A neater (in my opinion) is the Mophie Juice Pack. It's effectively a jacket that wraps round the iPhone containing a rechargeable battery. A little pricy but battery life is no longer a worry. It does make the  phone a little more bulky but it still slips neatly into a jacket pocket.

« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2009, 10:39:46 pm »
Hopefully opening it up to Orange and Vodafone should ease the strain on O2's data network. Anywhere with a large number of people and the iPhone is back to being a basic phone and a not-so amazing camera, you just don't get any data. 3G to Edge to GPRS to nothing in seconds whenever you try. I went to the England vs Croatia game at Wembley and couldn't anything from the data network from the time I got the train from Marylebone until I was back in a pub just round the corner from Marylebone station.

I'd switch to Orange if I could (better phone reception at the in-laws in Cornwall but still no 3G data according to the coverage).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »
Do they actually have separate networks?  I thought they all just leased spine from some nefarious cabal (or BT).

I still crave one. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:43:25 pm »
spine is common - someone like Arqiva, maybe - but the radio parts of the networks are mostly distinct.  This was part of the licence constraint but it doesn't always work in favour of the user.

Jakob

« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:45:17 pm »
My iphone is the best single gadget I've ever had. Ever.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:48:27 pm »
I'd love to see a sharing of masts. Then you'd buy on the basis of service, not geography.

Or something like that. I've not thought this through. It is late.
It is simpler than it looks.

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:50:22 pm »
I'd love to see a sharing of masts. Then you'd buy on the basis of service, not geography.

Or something like that. I've not thought this through. It is late.

It's happening a bit - which when the licences were granted was not meant to happen

But yes - roaming within the UK would make life much easier

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2009, 12:02:05 am »
iPhone today.

Check into YACF. Post on it
Collect and reply to emails
Use LogMeIn to fix a customer problem
Find out where the Halifax is in Basingstoke
Find out if there is a David Clulow in Basingstoke
Use Railtrack App to check trains are running OK.
On a delayed train check other options.
Skype colleague in Canada
TXT/Phone calls (it is a phone too  ;D)
Look at voice messages and ignore the ones that I can leave 'til tomorrow
Update task list (knowing this will be updated on the cloud)
Set Sky Plus to record programme I read about in the paper on the train
Have a 15min nap using pzizz
Check the England Cricket score via the ECB Cricket App
Have push notification of football team's progress
Relieve some of the pain of being in Basingstoke.*

*OK, that last one was made up

I don't really feel like I used it much today.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2009, 12:29:38 am »
Our Corporate IT Security rules mean no forwarding work emails to personal accounts, and our work email is not available via LDAP or POP from the outside world. I love this. Being able to read my work email outside work would just annoy me, and others around me but then I'm rarely ever working without my laptop (and therefore access).

Similar here, other than I haven't dug into the rules.

To me a phone is something to pick up and talk to somebody on if I really need to.  If I'm not at my desk, or am out then I don't want to be bothered.

Some of my family are gadget freaks, one with an iPhone and one with a googlephone (which I find easier to use as it has a keyboard instead of a flat screen I press 6 keys at once on).

When we have family get togethers they are the unsociable ones huddled in a corner checking emails and the internet instead of communicating with the family.

« Reply #19 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:21:15 am »

Some of my family are gadget freaks, one with an iPhone and one with a googlephone (which I find easier to use as it has a keyboard instead of a flat screen I press 6 keys at once on).

When we have family get togethers they are the unsociable ones huddled in a corner checking emails and the internet instead of communicating with the family.

They're probably emailing one another, using it as an excuse to escape. "Jeez, that nutty, how many bees can one bonnet hold?"

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:35:37 am »
I want a HTC Hero. Does just about everything an iPhone does.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 09 October, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »
Got an iPhone now.  Totally love it though it does take some getting used to.

Previously I carried my BalckBerry with me at the weekend and on holiday as my personal e-mail, Facebook and calender were on it.  Trouble was I kept getting caught up in work as work e-mails were coming thru.  Now I can just carry my iPhone as all my personal stuff is on it.  Thanks to this funky bit of tech I have now achieved more separation from work - happier me  :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2009, 06:41:04 pm »
Me got one too. Its way more versatile for me than my Blackberry that didnt have 3G or GPS. I don't use it for work email tho got another PDA for that.

I can understand when people say they 'love' it.

What apps you got guys, any cycling ones, what do you recommend?

I've got aroundme, ebay, echofon, tubemap, doodlejump, flightcontrol. All work well.

simonp

« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2009, 06:52:32 pm »
Hundred push-ups app. Two hundred sit-ups app. Tweetie. National rail.

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2009, 10:37:28 pm »
Am I right that there is no Bluetooth on iPhone? Would like it to talk to my car when out and about (when stopped obviously)