Author Topic: Old style razors  (Read 6332 times)

Old style razors
« on: 12 November, 2022, 06:28:57 pm »
Not cutthroat razors.  Thoughts? 
I’m thinking there would be less waste and it could be cheaper than wet razor cartridges.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Old style razors
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2022, 06:40:27 pm »
There’s a whole thread about them somewhere on here. I’m sure one of the cognoscenti will be along to guide you to it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2022, 06:54:15 pm »
itym safety razors.  Both my little dears are users, and have been for well over a year by now, particularly younger little dear.  (tbh as they hav flown the nest it's possible they've changed since  ::-))
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2022, 06:59:19 pm »
Much as I would love to be able to help, I have to confess that this is not one of my areas of expertise.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2022, 06:59:30 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2022, 07:01:54 pm »
I gave up using the cartridge type multiblade things approx 2000. A lot cheaper, a bit less waste – more steel but no plastic waste, and just as efficient.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2022, 07:02:53 pm »
Well, I have a Beard of Authority now, though I still use a double-edged razor to maintain the edges. Back when I didn't have the beard, I bought a couple of hundred DE blades for less than the price of a pack of five standard razor cartridges. A fairly plush razor to hold the was about £35. Since I don't plan on losing the BoA, no matter what my wife thinks, I'll have to live to about 300 at the current rate of usage before I need to restock.

Anyway, I found they gave a perfect, if not better, shave and, of course, far, far cheaper. You need a bit more care when shaving but you soon get the knack of it (or, I suppose if you don't, you die trying, exsanguinated on the bathroom floor).

There are entire forums dedicated to blokes being blokey-blokey about this stuff, the perfect blades (probably sharpened by Japanese ninjas on a mountaintop) etc. The basic stuff works fine and you can get a selection of blades to find whatever one works best.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2022, 07:54:23 pm »
Much as I would love to be able to help, I have to confess that this is not one of my areas of expertise.

I came here to check for this comment and was not disappointed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2022, 08:29:08 pm »

I came here to check for this comment and was not disappointed.

:D :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2022, 08:51:27 pm »
I got one of these during lockdown, when not so many people saw my face. I tried about 4 varieties of blade over several months. All left me with more blood on my face than a cartridge razor, however careful I was, whichever direction I shaved in, and whether I only went over one bit of skin once or not. I could post it to you, though I fully understand if all that blood staining doesn’t appeal!

« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2022, 09:09:26 pm »
I don't see the point of eschewing progress.

'Safety' razors are shit.

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2022, 11:42:51 pm »
dan, is it the blade or the razor that makes the difference as to how aggressive the cut is?

« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2022, 12:39:45 am »
I was given a standard safety razor as soon as I had a use for it. It lasted 50 years. I got one of these as a replacement & I'm very happy with it. It should see me out.

https://www.gillette.co.uk/kingcgillette-double-edge-razor/12551969.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiApb2bBhDYARIsAChHC9twrfbtSAE5MjkmpB1qk4opbD6sOAJ9uW0D1a5caMuw6zPijk8-NDQaAjuGEALw_wcB
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2022, 08:39:44 am »
I use an old style safety razor, good quality shave if done right, the blades cost peanuts compared to cartridge blades and there's no pointless plastic waste.
Blade choice is important.  Derby Extra blades work out at only 7p each when bought from Amazon, Feather blades are more expensive but give a nicer shave, good old Wilkinson Sword are my favourites though.
One more thing; try Proraso shaving cream, Italian product that I've never seen in the shops over here, available online though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proraso-Shaving-Cream-Tube-REFRESHING/dp/B00837ZOI0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2KERDD3CM004C&keywords=proraso+shaving+cream&qid=1668328628&sprefix=porasso%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-2

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2022, 09:12:52 am »
I use the Proraso pre-shave cream (about £13 on ebay for a huge barber shop pot). Apply before putting on shave foam. Gives a great shave.

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2022, 10:27:26 am »
I was given a standard safety razor as soon as I had a use for it. It lasted 50 years. I got one of these as a replacement & I'm very happy with it. It should see me out.

https://www.gillette.co.uk/kingcgillette-double-edge-razor/12551969.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiApb2bBhDYARIsAChHC9twrfbtSAE5MjkmpB1qk4opbD6sOAJ9uW0D1a5caMuw6zPijk8-NDQaAjuGEALw_wcB
I was expecting to have to either go for an uber cheap boots version or the super expensive German model, so that does look like a good shout.

« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2022, 12:47:11 pm »
My beard lacks authority but when I had to shave daily I used a safety razor. Note what Joe.B says about blades. Some online shops do a selection pack so you can try a few.

Most importantly, don’t use foam. Besides the needless waste the only purpose of foam is to show where you’ve shaved. Get the most expensive brush you can afford. Expect to pay more than the razor. For soap the least messy option is a soap stick. Rub the stick on your face and use the brush to work up the lather with more a stippling action than a painting action to get the lather into the stubble.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2022, 02:39:03 pm »
I've used this lot in the past - nice people and pretty quick:

https://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/

Experiment with different blades. I ended up with Merkurs which seemed to suit my cursed inheritance - one half of the family have wire for bristles, the other half of the family are hairy bstards!
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2022, 09:14:10 pm »
dan, is it the blade or the razor that makes the difference as to how aggressive the cut is?
The blades differed, but none was really satisfactory. The razor had a bit of weight, but i like to think I'm not heavy handed. Maybe i just have a delicate face?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2022, 10:40:32 pm »
I realise my response is not what was asked for but my "journey" was driven by the same factors - cost and waste.  I had a third factor of detergent/soap sensitive eczema and so wanted to avoid the need for soaps and foams etc. (plus these add to the cost).

I took a look at electric razors and was horrified by the price that the top of the range ones are but saw a cheap (£12) Philips 2-head 2xAA battery razor about the size of a computer mouse so gave it a go (probably cheaper than re-stocking on blades and foam).  I run it with eneloops so less waste & cost than disposable AAs.

It's not as close a shave as a wet shave but it gets it close enough for me.  I can always have a second shave later on if I want.  iirc, the instructions said that it could take a week or two for a) the cutting heads to bed in, and b) for my skin to get accustomed (? can't properly remember).

A big plus, apart from a big reduction in skin irritation due to foams etc., is that shaving is no longer a rigmarole over the sink in a cold bathroom - I usually shave when my coffee is brewing, whilst I'm at the PC catching up on news and posts/emails.

I got that razor over 10 years ago and a couple of years later broke one of the cutting heads through some rough cleaning.  The cost of replacement heads was greater than the cost of a new razor so I replaced it but at the same time, was bought a three-headed rechargeable one which is admittedly better and is still going strong.  The battery one now goes camping with me (and when I'm travelling/overnighting generally).

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2022, 11:13:38 pm »
Yeah, I have a friend who has moved to electric and has denounced wet shaving as a total con.  I had a brief dalliance with an electric razor about 20 years ago, but wasn't taken.

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2022, 12:22:25 am »
I read Samuel Pepys diary a few years back and, as I recall it, he hated the palaver of shaving and took to rubbing his skin with a pumice stone to keep the stubble down.  Haven't tried it myself.

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2022, 08:20:46 am »
Switched to dbl razor years back, would never bother with the expensive multi blade things again.

Found wilkinson sword to be poor - thick blades that didn't cut well. Feather blades are great.

Using a good-quality shaving soap makes a huge difference. Hot water, shaving soap.

Much less waste, better shave. Multi-blades are a con.
<i>Marmite slave</i>