Author Topic: Is this any good?  (Read 2455 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Is this any good?
« on: 28 November, 2009, 07:13:26 pm »
Much as I'd like to buy from my LBS it seems that they can't compete with the likes of Boardman/Halfrauds and Decathlon.

I can't afford my ideal (steel/29er) but saw the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 today. It seems well specced for the price and their road bikes seem generally appreciated but how are their off road bikes. For the amount that I'll use it it fits the bill pricewise.

What's the downside?

Re: Is this any good?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2009, 10:44:24 am »
I've no direct experience, but looking at the bikes in the shops they appear to be well made and I recall one of the big bike mags (MBR, possibly) giving them a V. good write-up 3-4 years ago. I've seen nothing more recently, though.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2009, 12:56:35 pm »
The components seem reasonable for the price.

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2009, 02:51:40 pm »
IF in your size then I reckon a heavily discounted Giant XTC 2.5 is a better buy:

GIANT XTC 2.5 2007 :: £499.95 :: BIKES :: Mountain Bikes - Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

and there are others on the same site worth a look I think!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2009, 04:54:24 pm »
IF in your size then I reckon a heavily discounted Giant XTC 2.5 is a better buy:

GIANT XTC 2.5 2007 :: £499.95 :: BIKES :: Mountain Bikes - Front Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

and there are others on the same site worth a look I think!

At that price, it's worth buying as a donor bike, stripping it and selling / letting someone have the frame! :)

As for the decathlon: it doesn't give any geometry information.  Depending on what you want the bike for, the geometry could be all wrong.  I personally hate having a head angle more than about 70 deg. as I find bikes with steep angles twitchy and as if they are trying to pitch me over the handlebars on downhills!

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2009, 05:17:02 pm »
The geometry on the Decathlon will be fine, run the fork with more or less sag to tweak it.