Author Topic: Spoke Tension  (Read 3047 times)

Spoke Tension
« on: 06 July, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »
Could anybody advise me of a typical spoke tension for my rear wheel?
It is a Giant factory wheel pr2 28 spokes drive side 2* crossed, non drive side radial spoked.

I have been experiencing a creaking noise when I put pressure on the pedals when going uphill, normally quiet. I've done all the usual checks and have found the tension was around 110 Kgf on the drive side & the tension didn't register on my park tool tensometer for the 1.7 mm straight steel spokes used. I've re-tensioned to 85 Kgf on the nds, while maintaining the 110 Kgf onn the drive side. Wheel gets pulled over when I increase the nds tension any more, but I suupose I could re-tension the drive side more.

What would a typical tension be for both sides given I am about 80 Kg drippin' wet and avoid potholes as best I can. I don't want to change my wheels yet as I love them so free wheeling.

Re: Spoke Tension
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:29:20 pm »
Last rear I built, and the current on in build, finished up at about 130kgf DS. NDS falls where it will. I think this is necessary with 10/11 speed dishing and a good wheelbuilder also suggested this.

Hope your rims will take it.

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2015, 06:40:41 am »
Thanks for replying Mike, will try to get DS a little higher, I'm currently on 8 speed cassette, so will start at around 120 Kgf and see how it goes, seeing the front wheel is at 110 Kgf both sides.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2015, 07:01:26 am »
Phone Giant and ask what the maximum is.

I also tend to tighten the drive side to 120-130 depending on the rim.  IME you need around 90 on the NDS to ensure a reliable wheel but that's my observation not gospel.  Evenness and consistency is also really important.  You can also cheat by using spoke freeze or similar on the NDS.

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2015, 08:16:32 am »
The balance of tensions from DS to NDS will be what they will be when the rim is central.

Pull the NDS a bit, and the DS will need a liitle bit more. Gauge tension on the DS and the NDS will be less.

Evenness and consistancy will be dependent on rim uniformity. Its usually good, but a rim with low uniformity will require different spoke tensions to keep true.

The three things you need are a true rim, the tightest spoke to be within limits, and the loosest spoke to within limits.

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2015, 08:02:00 pm »
Thought I'd better complete this thread for any future use,

Tensioned rear wheel drive side to 122 Kgf (Park tool 20) and non drive side to 85 Kgf. Wheel now beautifully true and centred.

Took it on a test ride today and after a few initial small twangs all is quiet finally no more twangin' and a creakin' coming from the back. Ahh! silence is golden.

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2015, 06:49:18 am »
On a commute to work many years ago, there was a dog that barked at me through a heavy wrought iron gate. One morning the dog’s owner was stood in his front yard to see what made the dog bark. He scowled at me as I rode past.
To be polite, I loosened all the spokes in both wheels about a quarter turn to change the resonant frequency of the spokes. No more barking dog.

B' all difference to the feel or behavior of the wheels.

« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2015, 08:15:00 am »
Interesting on the dog's behaviour. The racket my bike was making at the merest hint of a hill was as if I was riding a combined harvester, with all the thrashing sounds it was making. At one point I was thinking the frame was bending under pressure.

As you say, it's made b'all difference to the ride or feel of the bike, apart from the noise.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2015, 01:27:54 pm »
On a commute to work many years ago, there was a dog that barked at me through a heavy wrought iron gate. One morning the dog’s owner was stood in his front yard to see what made the dog bark. He scowled at me as I rode past.
To be polite, I loosened all the spokes in both wheels about a quarter turn to change the resonant frequency of the spokes. No more barking dog.

Yeah, but did the phone still ring?

« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2015, 02:11:21 pm »

Yeah, but did the phone still ring?

Before ( sensibly lightweight ) mobile phones.