Author Topic: Ti Frame Issues!  (Read 2597 times)

Re: Ti Frame Issues!
« Reply #25 on: 09 July, 2015, 01:46:52 pm »
I think someone on here recommended using a marker pen to find cracks - the dye will remain in the crack when you wipe off the pen mark (um, maybe use a whiteboard marker).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:58:43 am »
Update – Good News!!

Took it back to Leisure lakes where it was bought from 3+years ago and spent 90mins with the mechanic there. Much measuring, sucking air through teeth and fettling occurred.

- Frame is not broken
- Wheel is not dished correctly or true (despite being at the LBS for both of these 2days ago!)
- Preload (?) on the wheel hub not set properly, far too lose, tweaked and play removed. 
- There is more movement in the dropout than “normal” but when compared to the current VN frame not significantly so, double checked with vernier measuring kit.
- Tried a diff wheel, I managed to get that slipping to a new position to.
- Tried a decent shimano skewer, no movement!
- Wheel re-dished and retured, re tested in car park – no movement.
- Test ride this am before work, all still ok.

So it was the combination of the skewer and the hub not gripping together well enough – mechanic commented that the surface of the hub (extreme/miche from rose) and the dropouts where both quite smooth.

Amazing service by LL, they did all this investigating, truing, dishing and provided the skewer for £0.

I’m really impressed (for the second time) with their after sales service and once again annoyed at the LBS, I’m a bit disappointed that they couldn’t have diagnosed this themselves really.

« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2015, 03:28:08 pm »
On the Heart of England 300 a few years ago I snapped a pedal axle (Eggbeater) near Daventry. A local pointed me in the direction of Leisure Lakes, where they sorted me out with some Shimano A520s + cleats and got me back on the road in about 30 minutes. They saved my ride.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #28 on: 10 July, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »
Glad its all sorted ok

« Reply #29 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:49:25 pm »
Update – Good News!!

Took it back to Leisure lakes where it was bought from 3+years ago and spent 90mins with the mechanic there. Much measuring, sucking air through teeth and fettling occurred.

- Frame is not broken
- Wheel is not dished correctly or true (despite being at the LBS for both of these 2days ago!)
- Preload (?) on the wheel hub not set properly, far too lose, tweaked and play removed. 
- There is more movement in the dropout than “normal” but when compared to the current VN frame not significantly so, double checked with vernier measuring kit.
- Tried a diff wheel, I managed to get that slipping to a new position to.
- Tried a decent shimano skewer, no movement!
- Wheel re-dished and retured, re tested in car park – no movement.
- Test ride this am before work, all still ok.

So it was the combination of the skewer and the hub not gripping together well enough – mechanic commented that the surface of the hub (extreme/miche from rose) and the dropouts where both quite smooth.

Amazing service by LL, they did all this investigating, truing, dishing and provided the skewer for £0.

I’m really impressed (for the second time) with their after sales service and once again annoyed at the LBS, I’m a bit disappointed that they couldn’t have diagnosed this themselves really.

Excellent, good news!

« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2015, 08:57:40 am »
Update –... once again annoyed at the LBS, I’m a bit disappointed that they couldn’t have diagnosed this themselves really.
Don't you think you owe it to yourself to let your LBS know about this?

« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »
And if you've got fancy boutique ones, swap for a bog-standard Shimano as the clamping force is greater.
The power of yacf. That was the 2nd post.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2015, 08:54:51 pm »
I've had issues with the rear wheel slipping. In this case it was an Ultegra hub in Mercian chromed horizontal dropouts. No joy from Mercian - it was suggested that I try a Hope skewer :-\

Somewhere along the line the idea came to me to drill out two copper pennies. These then went between skewer and frame, on the outside. The softer copper gripped much better on the chrome than the skewer material. Problem solved. It's the only time I've ever thanked the queen (for services to the cycle industry) :P

« Reply #33 on: 12 July, 2015, 08:38:58 pm »
Final post on this from me.

Cycled 155miles yesterday with no issues at all, so I think it's safe to say it's sorted (and I'll be sticking with shimano skewers in future)

« Reply #34 on: 13 July, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »
Final post on this from me.

Cycled 155miles yesterday with no issues at all, so I think it's safe to say it's sorted (and I'll be sticking with shimano skewers in future)

what happened to the planned 200 miler ;)
often lost.

« Reply #35 on: 13 July, 2015, 05:48:30 pm »
Ride partner had bike issues which robbed us of too much time so I decided to get a train at 150 rather than finish after midnight. :-(

« Reply #36 on: 13 July, 2015, 05:54:52 pm »
Thats still one hell of a ride, congrats.
often lost.