Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 178185 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #775 on: 06 August, 2024, 03:54:53 pm »
The Man has resurfaced the roads in the wee trading estate wherein lurketh my local branch of Screwfix.  Hurrah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #776 on: 16 August, 2024, 03:00:39 pm »
Had to go into Keynsham for utilitarian reasons. Normally I'd either go through the industrial area behind Temple Meads, joining the A4 in Brislington then down the hill into Keynsham, or follow the railway path to Bitton and then down the A4135 (I've probably invented that number) over the river and into the town. But on this occasion I decided to see what cycle.travel would suggest. To my surprise, it sent me out through Whitchurch, up to Queen Charlton, and into Keynsham from the southeast. About half as long again as a direct route but I'm so glad I followed it. I didn't know the lane into QC had been bollarded off. Met one runner, three other cyclists, and a group of three horseists. No motons. Nor even motards. Had a little rest under the shade of a gorgeous copper beech tree at the point where the road forks just outside QC.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #777 on: 16 August, 2024, 03:19:30 pm »
I was born and bred just on the Bristol side of Whitchurch. We used to venture off, five of us between 10 and 14 years old, on our bikes for hours at a time and my brother drew up a huge map of all the local lanes and streets over a long summer holiday. The Queen Charlton lane was very quiet back then and I'm sure the bollards have improved it nowadays. Happy memories.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #778 on: 17 August, 2024, 10:35:31 am »
All those lanes between Keynsham and that side of Bristol are quiet. On the way back I saw a police car parked just beyond the Bristol end of the closed section – a nice quiet spot for the officers' lunch!

« Reply #779 on: 17 August, 2024, 12:42:23 pm »
All those lanes between Keynsham and that side of Bristol are quiet. On the way back I saw a police car parked just beyond the Bristol end of the closed section – a nice quiet spot for the officers' lunch!

please don't use the Q word in relation to police. It's a banned word in emergency services in same way the P word is for cycling

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #780 on: 26 August, 2024, 08:40:26 pm »

please don't use the Q word in relation to police. It's a banned word in emergency services in same way the P word is for cycling
Makes sense.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #781 on: 26 August, 2024, 08:48:34 pm »
Rode to Sainsbury's stupormarket. (<Utility) (Adventure>) Set off with my toothy comestibles lodged in my trusty Carradice pannier but got no further than about 200 metres before spotting two friends, with two unknowns, walking along the road. They were going for an ice cream. Bristol's, Britain's, the World's best ice cream is made and sold on this street in a place called Panunzio's kitchen – recorded fact, no argument. So obviously I locked my bike up and went with them. I chose "saffron and roses", a new flavour. Sat, ate, chatted. No sooner had I returned to my bike than I spotted another friend, so more chatting and stuff. But no more ice cream. Eventually got back on the bike and rode down the hill and home.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #782 on: 28 August, 2024, 04:59:56 pm »
Rode to Sainsbury's stupormarket. (<Utility) (Adventure>) Set off with my toothy comestibles lodged in my trusty Carradice pannier but got no further than about 200 metres before spotting two friends, with two unknowns, walking along the road. They were going for an ice cream. Bristol's, Britain's, the World's best ice cream is made and sold on this street in a place called Panunzio's kitchen – recorded fact, no argument. So obviously I locked my bike up and went with them. I chose "saffron and roses", a new flavour. Sat, ate, chatted. No sooner had I returned to my bike than I spotted another friend, so more chatting and stuff. But no more ice cream. Eventually got back on the bike and rode down the hill and home.

That is not the World's (or even Britain's or Bristol's) best ice cream... as it is gelato.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor