Author Topic: Grand Union Canal Towpath  (Read 3346 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Grand Union Canal Towpath
« on: 22 September, 2014, 10:13:58 am »
Here's what m'brother-in-law and me done yesterday in London. First time I'd actually cycled along a towpath and, on the return journey, first time I'd cycled the streets of London too. I hadn't realised how quiet and peaceful it would be, the amount of long boats there are on the canal, nor it's actual path through the city. He had to photograph a building near Uxbridge, so we cycled 16-odd miles out, then took to the roads on the way back.
If this is in the wrong place, do let me know. Route, etc, etc, below:

http://cyclemeter.com/0f11523b0a45d91c/Cycle-20140921-0933
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Otto

• Biking Bad
Re: Grand Union Canal Towpath
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:54:49 am »
Here's what m'brother-in-law and me done yesterday in London. First time I'd actually cycled along a towpath and, on the return journey, first time I'd cycled the streets of London too. I hadn't realised how quiet and peaceful it would be, the amount of long boats there are on the canal, nor it's actual path through the city. He had to photograph a building near Uxbridge, so we cycled 16-odd miles out, then took to the roads on the way back.

The tow path is a really nice place to cycle ...... although I didn't see manyVikings in their longboats, I did however see lots of Bargees in their narrow boats  ;D

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2014, 11:29:50 am »
When I owned a narrowboat, I did used to keep a horned helmet at hand for those who insisted I was driving a Viking invasion ship! ;D

Riggers

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
There were plenty of boats chugging up and down Sunday morning on the stretch we did. Plenty of cheery "Mornings!" to them as well. There was only one miserable git who blanked us.

What I found fascinating was, each of us thought it might have been nice to simply cycle off the path into the water. Weird. The little voice that says: "Go on, you know you want to!"

Very happy to have used m'mountain bike, and could have done it with m'slicks on instead of the knobblies.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2014, 01:11:15 pm »

The tow path is a really nice place to cycle ...... although I didn't see manyVikings in their longboats, I did however see lots of Bargees in their narrow boats  ;D

What do you call a navigator on the River Plate?

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Riggers

« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2014, 01:14:55 pm »
Shut the door on your way out!

TimC

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
You forgot your coat.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »
When I owned a narrowboat, I did used to keep a horned helmet at hand for those who insisted I was driving a Viking invasion ship in case Mrs Torslanda ever came to visit! ;D

ITYM  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2014, 10:47:28 am »
Riggers!

I ride that path twice a week and just the other day noticed two shady characters swigging cans of Carlsberg Extra whilst loitering around a bench just the other side of the turn-off for Victoria Road North.

How remiss of me not to say 'hello' as I am sure it would have been you and your chum  :thumbsup:

H

Riggers

« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2014, 02:20:24 pm »
Hummers!

Indeed it is! Although we often are seen drinking Kestral as well. You must be that transvestite we see cycling past us. Big ugly thing. Are there two of you? Or is that the drink?

Hummers

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2014, 11:14:47 pm »
Hummers!

Indeed it is! Although we often are seen drinking Kestral as well. You must be that transvestite we see cycling past us. Big ugly thing. Are there two of you? Or is that the drink?

;D

H

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2014, 03:25:39 pm »
There was only one miserable git who blanked us.

That could have been my friend Leonie who hates everyone on the canal, or more accurately hates all the tourists that treat her home as if it’s a film location and will happily hop on board it to take pictures of themselves – and totally lose their shit when they see that she’s got a cat* on board too. 

What Leonie objects to are all of the people that ask her questions about where she’s going – effectively she’s moving house each time (she doesn’t have a permanent mooring so has to move at least every fortnight) and treats enquires the way you would if random strangers asked you questions about your house, as she doesn’t really want same random strangers knowing where her not-all-that-secure-home is to be found.

One time when she was pregnant and I was being her lockmonkey on a lengthy move, a USAnian tourist at Camden Lock told Leonie to smile while she took her picture.  Leonie predictably told her to fuck off.

The USAnian then told me all about it while I was doing sluice gate/lock opening & closing stuffs, as if I was going to suddenly agree with her about it all  – “She just told me to fuck off!” she said.  “Why are you still here then?” I asked.

That may seem like an odd response but goes to explain some of the behaviour you might experience on or about the canal anyway.  Some canal people are just fucking rude anyway, think Caravan Club crossed with ageing hippies.

*The cat hates people even more than Leonie does.  It keeps getting abducted by people that assume it’s lost (she had one cat stolen in this way).

Hummers

« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »

That may seem like an odd response but goes to explain some of the behaviour you might experience on or about the canal anyway.  Some canal people are just fucking rude anyway, think Caravan Club crossed with ageing hippies.

Priceless!

Mind you, I can't say I blame them hating cyclists. I get pissed off with them and I'm one of em!

H

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2014, 01:15:18 pm »
What Leonie objects to are all of the people that ask her questions about where she’s going – effectively she’s moving house each time (she doesn’t have a permanent mooring so has to move at least every fortnight)

Somewhat off topic I know but I'd love to live this way.  I gave it some serious consideration about 10 years ago when my marriage to The Previous (then Current) Mrs R went boobies skyward.  But circumstance and commonsense prevailed and living on a boat remains a dream. 

Good on Leonie though - top lady!   :thumbsup:

TimC

« Reply #14 on: 21 November, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »
When I owned narrowboats I quickly decided that living on one was not sustainable, for me at least. There really is very little room, even on a full-length boat (72ft), and they are Big Bastards and need plenty of physicality to get them from A to B. They also cost a lot to maintain properly - and good engineers are relatively rare in a market riddled with crap ones (well, in 1998-2002 anyway). A penichette on the French canals, or a Dutch barge anywhere in Europe, is another matter. Still expensive, but enough room to breathe.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 21 November, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »
When I owned narrowboats I quickly decided that living on one was not sustainable, for me at least. There really is very little room, even on a full-length boat (72ft), and they are Big Bastards and need plenty of physicality to get them from A to B. They also cost a lot to maintain properly - and good engineers are relatively rare in a market riddled with crap ones (well, in 1998-2002 anyway). A penichette on the French canals, or a Dutch barge anywhere in Europe, is another matter. Still expensive, but enough room to breathe.

I also looked at a 38' Colvic Watson motorsailer. 

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2015, 07:31:33 pm »
I have a narrowboat - don't live on it in the winter though as it is too cold and mud gets everywhere - absolutely everywhere. 
Have been through London a few times but don't linger.
London canals are stuffed up with crusty squatters who claim to be 'continuous cruisers'  so they can avoid paying for a mooring and get a cheap licence. It causes a lot of grief in the 'canal community' and is a source of much heated discussion. They think they are living the authentic alternative dream but maybe they are just abusing the facility others pay quite a lot for.
Boats are not subject to clean fuel legislation either so many boaters use the cheapest ropey old anthracite in their stoves. One night downwind of such a stinkpot and you really know it. The smell really lingers. Not much fun if you live by the canal and they set up camp.
Don't get me started on where all the sewage is going - disposal points are few and far between and many of the boats definitely don't move enough to get to them...
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird