Author Topic: Familiar Roads and a Familiar Enemy  (Read 3511 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Familiar Roads and a Familiar Enemy
« on: 25 July, 2015, 11:15:41 pm »
My head was going crazy today.  I've had depression and anxiety for a long time, controlled to a large extent by medication, but there's been a fair bit of stress lately (when is there a rest from stress in life?  Ever?).  Today was a bad day, and that's a dangerous thing with this illness.

Luckily I found a good local support group who are immensely supportive.  I 'phoned an understanding friend, who did some breathing exercises with me down the 'phone.  She sent me her love, and told me to pray. 

I had a bath, made some nourishing food.  I praised myself for that, and prayed, and prayed.

When my first marriage broke up, it was a bike that saved me.  It was an escape, and I found I did my best praying on the bike. 

Between the tears, and the faffing, and the procrastinating, and the screaming for help to whoever would listen, it was another five hours before I got the Tourer out the back yard.  Damn, but that's a comfortable bike.  A shiny new drivetrain and front brake, too.  But deathly slow.

Fighting down the road, with the chattering monkey in my head doing its best to hold me back, draining my energy, sabotaging me, my weapons were prayers for help and that bike.  Trying to concentrate on the sensations in my body, my stiff legs, the pain in my feet, to bring me into the present.  Then feeling the air on my bare arms, the warmth of it, this was Now, and I was escaping from the Monkey and the pain.

Dimly aware that the sun was shining on the fields around me, the voice of nagging misery in my head went on, and on, trying to wipe out the sensory input around me, drowning out the sounds and the smells of an English summer evening.  But I could feel my feet on the pedals, and my hands on the bars, and I negotiated a junction, and that was real. 

I have no memory of the next village.  The only thing impacting me was the voice of fear and anxiety, dragging me down, and the rest was autopilot.  Sucking the energy from my mind and body.  Slow, slow, but still moving, revisiting roads I discovered years ago, and I was grieving and hurt then, too, and it was a different bike, and a younger body, and a different heartbreak, but the same weapons and the same fight.  Please take this away.  Please let me rest from this. 

My son's birthday is soon.  I miss my son.  I miss him.  You terrible mother, you loveless cow, you failed him, you failed, he needed you and you failed him.  Help me, help me.   And it rained, the taste of the salty sweat washed into my mouth, the water splashed on my arms, and my feet hurt, and I fought over the hill.  Fighting the drag of the heavy bike, the steep hill, the heavy mind.  A van, a man looking at me, shit, what if he follows me, I can hear it, he's following me, oh god, he's overtaken.  He's gone.  Shit.

I'll go into the shop in the next town and buy my boy a wonderful birthday card, there's time for it to get there on time.  I can do that.  I can remember his birthday.  But the shop's shut, is it really that late?  What time did I set off?  Really?  Why was it so late?

The rain was heavier now.  I put on my bright waterproof, felt a little safer being more visible, but still jumpy at the sound of wet tyres behind me.  Laughing with a drinker in the street, a little human contact, so normal from the outside, desperation and fear inside. 

Slow, slow up the hill, rain on my face, rain in my dirty hair, shall I visit friends?  Shall I seek their love and comfort?  It would be offered generously, I knew, but the fear was winning, and I fought on, the Monkey chanting failure and loss and lies and death, but the drivetrain was so smooth, and the road was smooth, and then there was sun between the trees, and the smell of wet grass.

It was quiet.  I stopped.  The sun shone on the wet road for a moment and everything looked different.

Past Judy Bear's to Yarm 010 by Ruth Turner, on Flickr

Thank you for my life.  Thank you for the health and strength of my body.  Thank you for the warm air on my skin.  Thank you for the sky, and the wren flying, and the raindrops in the puddles, and my children, and my friends.  And that was real.  The monkey was silenced, and I was thankful, and I rode home blessed.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Familiar Roads and a Familiar Enemy
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:33:05 pm »
Thank you for writing that.

(Is "Judy Bear" the name of one of your friends, perhaps? Cos I know some people called Bear. Not that any of them is Judy or lives anywhere near you. Unusual name, that's all.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:34:39 pm »
Thank you for writing that.

(Is "Judy Bear" the name of one of your friends, perhaps? Cos I know some people called Bear. Not that any of them is Judy or lives anywhere near you. Unusual name, that's all.)

It's a nickname  :)

She's a colleague who I really like.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2015, 12:29:56 am »
Thank you for sharing this Ruth. I'm sorry to learn of the reasons why you needed to go for a ride, but pleased - on your behalf - that it seems to have done the trick.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2015, 08:39:45 am »
That was pretty bloody brilliant  :thumbsup:   :-*

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2015, 08:44:19 am »
What a vivid description. Well done on getting out there and good to hear it helped :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2015, 09:07:17 am »
A great yacf story.  Finding success from the gloom.

Well done Ruthie.

:-*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2015, 09:20:37 am »
Well done Ruthie, that was a very enlightening read.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2015, 11:47:05 am »
Thanks for sharing that, a beautiful ride report. I hope today and tomorrow are better days.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »
Thank you for my life.  Thank you for the health and strength of my body.  Thank you for the warm air on my skin.  Thank you for the sky, and the wren flying, and the raindrops in the puddles, and my children, and my friends.  And that was real.  The monkey was silenced, and I was thankful, and I rode home blessed.
Been reading about medieval history and have read* Francis of Assisi's "Brother Sun", of which this kind of reminds me.

*Or been reacquainted with, as I'm sure I must have known it in some way somehow sometime in the past.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2015, 01:03:36 pm »
Been reading about medieval history and have read* Francis of Assisi's "Brother Sun", of which this kind of reminds me.

*Or been reacquainted with, as I'm sure I must have known it in some way somehow sometime in the past.

I used to go to St Francis of Assisi Church (or Frank's, as we call him), yes he was a bit of a character, I think we'd have got on pretty well, but I don't think he'd be terribly impressed with the Church as it is now.  He was always putting his foot in it, same as me.
Milk please, no sugar.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »
Wow. That was special. Thank you.

« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »
Keep rolling forwards. The speed doesn't matter, just keep making forward progress.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2015, 10:15:20 pm »
Thank you for your kind remarks, Internet friends.  It all makes a difference.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2015, 04:28:41 pm »
I've only just seen this. It's brilliant. There are some people I want to show it to, might really help them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 20 August, 2015, 11:27:08 am »
Wow.  I'm a bit late to reading this, but it is amazing.  Thank you.
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 20 August, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
You could write books for a living Ruthie.
Moving but painful to read. Virtual hugs  :-*

« Reply #17 on: 25 September, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »
Stumbled on this - punched me in the belly!

Reminded me of some horrendous times in my own life, thankfully mostly behind me for the time being, and how something as simple as going for a bike ride can be hard and then brilliant in it's simplicity. I spent many many hours on my bike in the rough times - it makes you breath properly and keep at least some of the focus outside yourself. Oh yeah, and drugs and therapy!

Hope things are looking up.

A

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 25 September, 2015, 12:29:52 pm »
If you enjoy Ruthie's writing, and who doesn't, you might like Merlyn the Magician and the Pacific Coast Highway by Tom Davies.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #19 on: 25 September, 2015, 04:18:25 pm »
Some of the compliments paid to my writing in this thread have really touched me.  I'm reeling in surprise tbh.  And much chuffed.

Thank you.
Milk please, no sugar.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2015, 04:36:44 pm »
Some of the compliments paid to my writing in this thread have really touched me.  I'm reeling in surprise tbh.  And much chuffed.

Thank you.

I read your opening post again whilst I was having lunch today - very, very good, lump in throat material.

My comment about people "enjoying" your writing isn't quite right.  Yes, your writing style and ability to communicate powerfully and honestly are to be enjoyed.  The subject matter is tough to read, particularly as its about a real person - i.e. you!  But, I'm pleased I read it again as it gave me a thought provoking insight into something I know very little about.

I can't offer you any concrete advice based on proven expertise as to how to make things better but my instinct tells me you're heading in the right direction so on that basis suggest you keep doing what you're doing.  And please keep writing it down.

« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2015, 04:42:23 pm »
Powerful stuff Ruthie. As someone you probably recognise, said a lot time ago....

'All shall be well,

and all shall be well

and all manner of things shall be well'.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2015, 04:59:50 pm »
Julian and I, simple creatures, unlettered.

Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #23 on: 25 September, 2015, 08:22:29 pm »
Beware men bearing bricks....

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #24 on: 25 September, 2015, 09:41:21 pm »
Beware men bearing bricks....

Never trust a bricklayer.
Milk please, no sugar.