Author Topic: Coasts and Castles - Daddy / Daughter Adventure  (Read 1711 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Coasts and Castles - Daddy / Daughter Adventure
« on: 03 October, 2015, 08:17:39 pm »
Last August Bank Holiday weekend my daughter and I had a two day adventure from Newcastle to Berwick-upon-Tweed. 100 miles over 2 days, trying to follow an old Coasts/Castles map and getting lost sometimes. We had an amazing time, even though Katherine gave 100% - everything she had. By the time we arrived at Berwick it was all she could do to roll downhill and over the bridge - stopping at the first pub we found.

We rested overnight at the Schooner Hotel in Alnmouth. Cheap. Unfortunately we flooded the bar - Katherine's shower leaked and drench the dozen or so blokes drinking in what they thought was "inside".

Blog post as per usual...

Re: Coasts and Castles - Daddy / Daughter Adventure
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2015, 12:46:50 am »
Lovely, Graeme.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2015, 09:18:31 am »
What a lovely ride report.  Love you guys    :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2015, 09:47:10 pm »
Great writeup as always Graeme.

ChillyPanda

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2015, 10:13:34 pm »
Nice write-up and pictures Graeme, as usual, keep them coming. Out of interest, what camera are you using for your one-handed cycling pics?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »
Thank you for being so lovely everyone.

ChillyPanda, I'm using a Fuji Finepix F660 EXR. On the plus side I love the manual settings, the excellent zoom and the quality of the pictures. On the down side, the rotating mode setting on the top drives me nuts, it rotates too easily and I usually have check my setting because it changes while in the back pocket of my cycling top. It isn't weatherproof, so I have to put the LCD screen facing inwards to stop the lens fogging from the heat of my body. The sliding dust cover no longer covers the lens when switched off. Despite all that it works - it survives the knocks.

I can't afford to replace it. But if I could, I'd go for an Olympus Tough camera. If I'm right then it has all the manual settings I like, but would resist fogging and dust and the setting switch might just stay put.

I've also tried using my Moto G but that requires two hands, and there is too much risk of dropping it while riding no-hands and not looking where I'm going: ridiculous.

The other nice thing about a dedicated camera in one-handed use, is the ability to snap away at silly angles and just discard the rubbish images later.

I hope this is useful info.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2015, 11:39:25 pm »
Settings seems to stay put. Manual mode only seems to have two aperture settings. Read LCD glass is not scratch resistant by any stretch of the imagination. Dust and waterproofness is wonderful.
It is simpler than it looks.