Author Topic: Adding tracks to an etrex legend HCx  (Read 2317 times)

Adding tracks to an etrex legend HCx
« on: 20 April, 2011, 03:01:27 pm »
I created a a gpx track and copied it onto the memory card for my etrex. When I turn on the gps I can see the file if I look via tracks datacard setup, but it doesn't appear on the list of saved tracks.

Do I have to add the track via mapsource? Or can I copy it to the memory card if I get the naming right/wave majik wand?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Adding tracks to an etrex legend HCx
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »
The eTrex can't read tracks from the memory card.
You have to load tracks to the internal memory, by using software that works with the Garmin USB protocol.
So something like Mapsource or GPSBabel etc would work.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:20:06 pm »
I created a a gpx track and copied it onto the memory card for my etrex. When I turn on the gps I can see the file if I look via tracks datacard setup, but it doesn't appear on the list of saved tracks.

Do I have to add the track via mapsource? Or can I copy it to the memory card if I get the naming right/wave majik wand?

I stand to be corrected but I believe the only information written to the data card is the map file (.img) and tracks cut by the gps (when selected in track setup). Everything else is held in memory.

I've always loaded routes and tracks using mapsource. Looking now, there is no sign of any user generated routes and track files on the datacard.

XEdit with fuaran

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:24:51 pm »
hmm

I can tell the garmin to record tracks to the memory card. It's happy to do that and then load them from there.

Don't have mapsource - the download links seem to want me to have an earlier version installed. blast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »
hmm
I can tell the garmin to record tracks to the memory card. It's happy to do that and then load them from there.
Yes, it can write tracks to the card, but it can't read them from there.

Don't have mapsource - the download links seem to want me to have an earlier version installed. blast.
You can get around that by downloading and installing Garmin Basecamp or Garmin Training Center first. Then installing Mapsource will work. Though I'm not sure if it will actually run unless you also install some maps for it.

Or just use GPSBabel. Its free, and quick and simple for loading tracks.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:32:51 pm »
hmm

I have a mapsource disk.  PM me if you want a copy.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:39:52 pm »
hmm
Yes, it can write tracks to the card, but it can't read them from there.

You can get around that by downloading and installing Garmin Basecamp or Garmin Training Center first. Then installing Mapsource will work. Though I'm not sure if it will actually run unless you also install some maps for it.
Or just use GPSBabel. Its free, and quick and simple for loading tracks.

It might; there is a 'select no map' option.

n.b., Training Centre is really for Edge series devices using TCX files so don't expect to use it with your eTrex.

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »
babel looks ok, thanks, Mrb but I dont' have a cable at work for my gps - will have to wait until I get home.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:09:11 pm »
You must have the Garmin USB driver installed.  A works machine is unlikely to have this.
Didn't you get a software disk with the GPS?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »
2nd hand, and a not-helpful seller. Currently subject to an ebay dispute.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »
Well you need to download the USB driver from the Garmin website, (just being able to see the GPS SD card as an external drive isn't enough) - it's a recently-updated driver so worth getting anyway -
and to get Mapsource, try this tutorial.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll