Author Topic: System EX fixed hub: replacing bearings?  (Read 3068 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
System EX fixed hub: replacing bearings?
« on: 29 May, 2017, 07:30:25 pm »
The bearings in the rear wheel of my Pomino have become, erm, crunchy.

The hub is branded EX, with a solid axle. I was expecting to find loose ball bearings but it has sealed cartridge bearings! How do I get them out so I can replace them?

I've tried a tentative tap on one end of the axle but nothing moved..... do I just need to give it a good whack?  ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: System EX fixed hub: replacing bearings?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:02:55 am »
you need a pretty firm whack to get them moving

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2017, 11:15:25 am »
In all the hubs of that kind that I have seen, the bearings are held in place by the axle 'cone' nuts.  The axle is probably stepped for the inner race to bear against.  Tapping one end of the axle should force the opposite bearing out.  It's worth being more scientific when installing the replacements.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2017, 12:18:33 pm »
Hype can either spend 20 minutes per bearing knocking them out with a blunt chisel and hammer or do the job in a few seconds with a bearing puller.

I got something similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Inner-Bearing-Puller-Set-Kit-Remover-5-pcs-Blind-Internal-Slide-Hammer-KTPY-/192023656742?hash=item2cb5807926. Best £15 I spent, although the one linked to is more expensive.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2017, 12:40:41 pm »
We had a similar issue with a bottom bracket, see here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102143.0

The old bearings took a fair bit of twatting to remove, but the new ones went on quite easily.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2017, 02:17:19 pm »
Thanks everyone.
A "pretty firm whack" followed by a "fair bit of twatting" with a massive clout with a bigger hammer to finish has done the trick.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.