Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 238983 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #425 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:17:57 pm »
Cheers Del, that makes sense.

But what about the other issue?  Will a tandem/etc get around those apparently tight bends?  (Maybe I'll take the motorbike home that way from work and take a look).

« Reply #426 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:22:04 pm »
Cheers Del, that makes sense.

But what about the other issue?  Will a tandem/etc get around those apparently tight bends?  (Maybe I'll take the motorbike home that way from work and take a look).
It's a deceptive picture. From fence to dropped kerb I reckon it's about six feet. I you think it's a problem you could always turn right from the central reservation, were the picture was taken from, onto Prittlewell Chase and then take the immediate left onto the path.
It's not far from here, I'll go out with the tape measure if you like.

« Reply #427 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »
No need, but thank s for the offer.  I might need to pop home in a second in me lunch break, and it's no detour to go that way.

Clandy

« Reply #428 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
The story on the Echo website today:

Southend's new cycle track brings families together (From Echo)

Regarding the Chalkwell end of Death Alley, I nearly got wiped out by a BSM pupil on Sunday. I had just come off the green tarmac before the pedestrian crossing, was turning to go up towards Chalkwell Park and the BSM car just carried straight on into Chalkwell Esplanade! Drivers give zero consideration to cyclists at this point if they are on or exiting the cycle path. Maybe we don't register because we're not on the road?

I caught up with the instructor and pointed out he had nearly wiped me out, his reply? 'It was safe because I could see you the whole time…' Guess that makes it ok to just run cyclists off the road if you can see them then!  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #429 on: 23 June, 2010, 02:05:53 pm »
You can report offending driving instructors directly to the DSA.

complaints
Getting there...

« Reply #430 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:34:21 am »
I was in France earlier this month with the Family.  I now have the photographs off of their camera.  Here they are with comment.   Would these have been better ideas for Western Esplanade?

Here's a lane similar to Southend's.  There is little need for this to be two way since it's on a one way street and cyclists actually have problems continuing their route at either end where they have to cross this traffic lane if riding with the flow of traffic.  The key point to note is that the lane is flush with the carriageway and only defined with paint.  This makes it safe to enter and leave.  Southend's low kerb does not prevent vehicles entering the cycle path but does prevent cyclists from doing so.

Here's a lane similar to Southend's in that it is two way between the road and pavement.  Please note that it is wider, so useable.  Please also note that the kerb is chamfered so that if a cyclist rides into it they will rise onto the pavement instead of being unseated and falling off the bike.  Most importantly please note the concrete barrier preventing vehicles entering the lane.

Here's a much more aesthetic approach to the barrier.  The road and cycle path are safely separated, as is the pavement.  Also note how the zebra crossing extends across the cycle path; cyclists still have to give way to the pedestrians, but without the hazard of give way markings and belisha beacons.

Outside of town this path was found.  Note how easy it is to use by a large number of cyclists, and how the lead cyclists are weaving in their enthusiasm to wave at the camera.  This is not possible on Western Esplanade.  

Clandy

« Reply #431 on: 24 June, 2010, 07:35:09 am »

Here's a much more aesthetic approach to the barrier.  The road and cycle path are safely separated, as is the pavement.  Also note how the zebra crossing extends across the cycle path; cyclists still have to give way to the pedestrians, but without the hazard of give way markings and belisha beacons.

This would have been perfect on Western Esplanade.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #432 on: 24 June, 2010, 08:34:11 am »

This would have been perfect on Western Esplanade.
That was exactly how the Western Esplanade scheme looked on the plans I (thought I) saw at a Cycle Group meeting about 18 months ago.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

montysboy

« Reply #433 on: 24 June, 2010, 09:07:26 am »
This could all become a moot point soon anyway, as if the numptys who are fixing the sea wall/groynes continue to use it as their private tractor driveway from their compound at Chalkwell along the seafront, the entire path will soon become unusable.  The smooth surface is gradually getting more "corrugated" each day and with the recent warm weather softening the tarmac it is only expediting the problem....  >:(  >:(  >:(

Call me picky but its hard to believe the path was only "officially" opened on Sunday if you look at the state of it already....

Iain

« Reply #434 on: 24 June, 2010, 09:58:41 am »
That was exactly how the Western Esplanade scheme looked on the plans I (thought I) saw at a Cycle Group meeting about 18 months ago.

We've chatted about this a few times, and I'm puzzled.  I do not doubt you at all, but I believe I've attended all Cycle Group meetings and have not seen any plans.

The only reference we've had to Western Esplanade, as I recall and as minuted, was the route inspection back at the end of 2008 (November?) and then the subsequent report that a route inspection had taken place and three schemes had been put forward for design.  At that point though pen had not been put to paper so no designs existed... and the scheme that has been implemented is NOT any of the three options we put forward at the route inspection.

Can anybody else here shed any light on this?   Other than the plans we were provided in March 2010, has anybody seen any presentation or design for Western Esplanade?

« Reply #435 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:20:15 am »
At this point Anna Waite's face froze into an expressionless look at me, before she turned her back and walked away.

What the hell, you mean she didn't get her chain-saw out and cut your legs off  :o  :o  ;)

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #436 on: 25 June, 2010, 04:20:14 pm »
I also noted that had I entered the seafront via Shorefield Road, or any other side turning, there is no dropped kerb to allow me to get onto the cycle path  :facepalm:  (See above comment re Maplin Way).

Domestique noticed this and commented on it to me a couple of months ago. I was going to ask at the next Cycle Forum meeting how they expected cyclists to get on and off of their new showpiece cycle disaster.

I noted that many of the cyclists I saw on the path I saw several times.  It looked as though people were just cycling back and forth along the seafront.  

Probably because they can't find a safe way to get off of the path once they have miraculously found their way onto it.

Actually, come to think of it this is a brilliant piece of design by the council. If the odd cyclist finds their way on at one end or the other, but no one can find a safe way off again. Eventually every cyclist in Southend will be trapped on the path for ever and the council can boast that they have reached the critical mass of cyclists they were planning for.

Sheer genius  ;D
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

FatBloke

« Reply #437 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:56:42 pm »
I have received copies of the safety audit and cycling england inpection report for Western Esplanade if anyone would like to see them.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #438 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:37:07 pm »
The Prittlebrook Greenway is open from Vic. Ave to Gainsbourough, although there are still fences that could be dragged across the Vic. Ave - Prit. Ch. section. It's lumpy to ride over and I think it will have a coloured, probably green, top coat to smooth things out.

The section from Gainsborough Drv. to St. Georges Ave/Rd. is underway now. The original path has been widened to three metres.

I didn't measure it the workers left a subtle hint as to width.

From St. Georges to Gainsborough.

How the path looks now (try to ignore wacky camera trickery).

FatBloke

« Reply #439 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »
I prefer the original path. Why didn't they just remove the cycling prohibited signs and let those that wanted to cycle along the brook do so while thos that didn't would be able to use the road with less abuse from motons!  It would have been cheaper!!

« Reply #440 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:50:10 pm »
It would have been cheaper!!
They wanted the £3.2 million from cycling England to kill palms on the seafront and chop down other trees in the borough.

Clandy

« Reply #441 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »
A few highlights from today:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6bGWrmxLuk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/P6bGWrmxLuk&rel=1</a>

« Reply #442 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »
 ;D @ 0:26.

« Reply #443 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »
From St. Georges to Gainsborough

Whatever it is, lamp post or telegraph pole, it looks good stuck a third of the way into the lane ::-)

A few highlights from today:

I noticed yesterday that the new road section outside the amusements was open to road traffic heading east. From first impression that really doesnt look wide enough.

« Reply #444 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:35:50 am »
I prefer the original path. Why didn't they just remove the cycling prohibited signs and let those that wanted to cycle along the brook do so while thos that didn't would be able to use the road with less abuse from motons!   It would have been cheaper!!

Maybe you guys should change your campaign strategy. Instead of stopping the council building rubbish cycle farce-ilities. Perhaps you should approach the police and ask them to police the roads because of dangerous and abusive drivers. It'd better for all road users because it's not justs cylist that get abuse.

That way, if the roads are as good to cycle on as they should be, then the council won't have any reason to waste your money.

It would have been cheaper!!
They wanted the £3.2 million from cycling England to kill palms on the seafront and chop down other trees in the borough.

That sounds very likely to me. I wouldn't be surprised if there are back handers flying left, right and centre in a corrupt council creating lucrative jobs for the boys. They seem to be trying all the tricks to fob off anyone who shows them up.

I'd be up for a mass cycle ride along that road next weekend. Just to kick up a fuss and maybe get in the local rag. :thumbsup:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #445 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:39:48 am »
From St. Georges to Gainsborough

Whatever it is, lamp post or telegraph pole, it looks good stuck a third of the way into the lane ::-)

Definitely a telephone pole with an underground feed.

Clandy

« Reply #446 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:53:55 am »
Has anyone else noticed the assault course exit from East Beach into Blackgate Road? If you cycle through the gap for pedestrians and cyclists just six feet in front of you is this:

« Reply #447 on: 26 June, 2010, 11:04:03 am »
I reckon that'd be tight with panniers. Even worse on a tandem with panniers but not especially bad for a cycle route. Sustrans can cook up some crazy puzzles.
The local free riders will be glad for the balance beam to cycle along and practice their tricks though. :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #448 on: 26 June, 2010, 11:04:53 am »
Bet that'd be fun at twilight... :-\
Getting there...

Clandy

« Reply #449 on: 26 June, 2010, 11:07:07 am »
The gap isn't too bad, it's the stupid 18 inch high black painted steel rail 6 feet the other side of it.