Author Topic: How long does it take to recover from flu?  (Read 4149 times)

Chris N

How long does it take to recover from flu?
« on: 28 April, 2008, 09:54:01 am »
I feel terrible: headache, coughing, temperature, shivery, back ache.  I've never had flu before, so don't know how soon I'll be well again - I'm supposed to be riding a 400km audax this coming weekend - am I likely to have recovered by then?

Re: How long does it take to recover from flu?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:55:52 am »
No. Even if you feel well enough and your optimism and enthusiasm might tell you that you are I would say take the weekend off to allow you body to recover properly. You'll get a set back if you don't.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:59:42 am »
What he said :(.

I rode a 400 last year with just the threat of a cold (let alone full blown flu) and I was ill for almost a whole month afterwards. Your body won't like you one bit if you try it.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:21:25 am »
Arse.  I hope I'm better by the Bryan Chapman - though riding that without having ridden a 400 is going to make me a little nervous.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:42:16 am »
If you have 'proper 'flu' (as opposed to 'man 'flu') then the recovery period is normally two to four weeks.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

annie

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:42:30 am »
Ouch, flu takes it out of you.  It has taken me several weeks to get back to eating properly and feeling anywhere near human again.  Don't be tempted to rush into any really strenuous or you run the risk of being ill and off the bike for even longer.

Lots of fluids, rest and tlc.

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:49:27 am »
Ive had it as well recently, as I think everyone else has.  Blame it on the awful and unsettled weather of late.  All you can do is rest, but I have found it also boosts the motivation again for when you are fully recovered, so enjoy the summer!

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:58:58 am »
Generally worst 3 to 4 days in, by 7 days your body will normally be on top of it but cough can linger on for weeks (all assuming no complications, arise, like a bacterial chest infection).

Just got over a bout myself, and to keep myself occupied I spent far too much time on the internet reading about flu and how the body deals with it! As usual, wikipedia has a useful page (try the 'Symptoms and diagnosis' section).

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2008, 01:23:50 pm »
I think it's proper flu. :(  Currently resting by watching the entire Alien Quadrilogy.  Godfather box set next!