Author Topic: Clicking Achilles  (Read 3972 times)

Chris S

Clicking Achilles
« on: 25 May, 2008, 09:29:05 am »
This seems to be a regular post audax thing for me.

For a day or two after a ride, my achilles tendons click when I walk downstairs. There's no pain or swelling, but it is annoying.

It seems related to the total workload in the ride - an easy flat ride on gears probably won't make it happen, but a tough hilly ride on fixed (like yesterdays) will (and has).

Could this be a precursor to something more sinister, or is it just the way I'm built?

I was thinking of trying some stretches, but have read that achilles stretches can do more harm than good.

gonzo

Re: Clicking Achilles
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:46:03 am »
Does it involve a blood vessel or some cuh tubular thing under the skin flicking from one side to the other? If so, I have had the same thing after two rides recently apparently related to the padding on my socks (wolly bollys are fine, thin socks aren't).

I'll be interested to hear the reponses.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:47:48 am »
Mine usually creaks after long rides, mostly caused by having the seat to far back on the bent and ankleing (?) while pedaling.
Have not had it this week even after the BCM, I did put the seat forward a bit though and kept my foot still while pedaling.
That seemed to help.

Rich.

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:05:11 am »
Cut down your distances and rest more often.  Rides no longer than 5 miles for a couple of weeks I reckon.

No ulterior motive here  ;D