Author Topic: Removing glass from flesh  (Read 3621 times)

Si

Removing glass from flesh
« on: 03 June, 2008, 08:11:37 pm »
How would one go about removing a tiny shard of glass from the flesh of one's fingertip?  Squeezing and poking won't do it. I've offered to have at it with my craft knife and a big needle but she won't let me near it...well we were watching Sweeney Todd at the time.  It's been covered in antiseptic cream etc to try and stop infections. 

Any ideas?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Removing glass from flesh
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:40:07 pm »
Leave it to 'work its own way to the surface'.
Avoid direct pressure to avoid pain.

Foreign body is usually out within a week this way.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:40:56 pm »
cut it off , unless you really need that finger.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:43:46 pm »
Get some epsom salts and glycerin from the chemist, make a paste with it, slather over the wound and pop a plaster or dressing on top. Should help to draw the glass out of the wound.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

gordon taylor

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »
Dig open the wound with a sharp object and rub some salt into it. The salt will dissolve the glass and heal the wound almost immediately.  ;D

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:34:54 am »
Dig open the wound with a sharp object and rub some salt into it. The salt will dissolve the glass and heal the wound almost immediately.  ;D

That's just rubbing salt into the wound surely?
Owner of a languishing Langster

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:37:52 am »
A sharp blow to the back of her head will stun her for long enough to administer the chloroform.  Then deal with the wound in the traditional manner with scalpel and sutures.  If you don't have either of these, a bowie knife, needle and thread should be fine, as long as you drench them in Jack Daniels first.

Hope this helps  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:03:41 am »
Nobody ever drenches me in Jack Daniels :(

Folk wisdom says soak it out. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Si

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2008, 12:09:30 pm »
Thanks, she has been dispatched to chemist for potion ingedients. 

However, if it takes a week I might have to resort to Charlotte's method, as SWMBO knows that it is in the bird giving finger on her right hand, but can't tell her left from her right and so keeps picking things up with it and screaming.  The cat is living on it nerves again.

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2008, 04:11:21 pm »

However, if it takes a week I might have to resort to Charlotte's method, as SWMBO knows that it is in the bird giving finger on her right hand, but can't tell her left from her right and so keeps picking things up with it and screaming.  The cat is living on it nerves again.

Stick a plaster or something on that finger, as a reminder?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2008, 04:20:08 pm »

Stick a plaster or something on that finger, as a reminder?

How about a felt ring or corn plaster to prevent pressure on the sore point?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:39:53 pm »
A friend of mine was in a car accident when we were in school - he reflexively put his hand out and it went through the windscreen. Pieces of windscreen were making their way out of his palms naturally for weeks afterwards.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2008, 09:01:11 am »
When our dog got a lump of glass in his paw, the vet dug it out with a hypodermic needle.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2008, 10:53:21 am »
Lumps is easy, amenable sharp toolz and usually graspble. Glass also usually shows up well on X-ray. Small splinters are different; you can do much damage attempting to locate and remove these things.
And still fail.
Most frustrating.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2008, 04:31:04 pm »
I locate the bit with a needle, and then squeeze behind so that blood is rushing out and while doing that using the needle to move the shard left to right slightly. It'll be out in a few minutes.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium