Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 23rd  (Read 11994 times)

[HAMR] Jan 23rd
« on: 23 January, 2015, 05:12:24 am »
Steve's just on the road to Malmesbury. Taking a route via Banbury and Chipping Norton to avoid the lanes until it warms up. Very frosty in MK this morning.

Muesli was the breakfast of Champions today. 8 sausages and 2 chunks of malt loaf as pocket food.

Bonne route Steve!

Re: Jan 23rd
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2015, 05:55:43 am »
Good lord it's cold out there right now.

Go Steve!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:11:37 am »
Another early start. I hope the frost lifts early too.

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:22:14 am »
-6 Centigrade out there right now :(

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:22:24 am »
As a London commuter I am an early riser but usually Steve has already been on the road for an hour by the time I get downstairs to check on progress.  When it is -6C outside such dedication is an inspiration. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:49:10 am »

Truly a man of Steel. I last about half an hour in those temps before my feet fall off!

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:08:50 am »

Truly a man of Steel. I last about half an hour in those temps before my feet fall off!

Indeed---slightly less cold air coming across though as just 0c here---just looks VERY brisk in South / SW this morning , -8 @ Benson
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:11:07 am »
A southerly 10 - 15 mph breeze blowing up later.

hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:16:50 am »
It's chuffing freezing outside.  Steve's balls of steel must be in his chest right now.

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:29:48 am »
So Steve may well be attending our club dinner this evening (North Bucks Road Club). Aside from worrying that he'll scoff the lot after another hard day in the saddle, we are holding our event in a bar - there will inevitably be beer around. Do we need to be careful about photography at the event, given the fuss about an unopened bottle of wine visible in an earlier photo?

Robert

« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:34:20 am »
To be on the safe side you should photoshop out anything and everything that implies it's a bar. Including the bar itself, glasses, beer mats, drinks, drinkers, etc.

In fact probably best to keep the lens cap on whilst taking any photos.

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:40:12 am »
To be on the safe side you should photoshop out anything and everything that implies it's a bar. Including the bar itself, glasses, beer mats, drinks, drinkers, etc.

In fact probably best to keep the lens cap on whilst taking any photos.

It;d be easier to take a photo of a Polar Bear in a whitout!   ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:42:55 am »
Perhaps just take photos outside the building, then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:59:30 am »
Perhaps just take photos outside the building, then.
...and not facing towards it....it's not worth the risk of leaving opportunity for negative reactions from UMCA.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #14 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:03:51 am »
Out of interest, why can't - presumably all three competitors - take an alcoholic drink?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
Because the roolz say so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:38:52 am »
The Rule is standard for all UMCA competitions / events. Which if you consider their normal fare of RAAM and other 7 day type events where sleep debts can be accumulated by riders and crew as they race to the finish makes sense. They just didn't think about this one as a one year mile eater where the sleep debt can't build up too much as the end is too far away to recover it.

« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:41:43 am »
Warmed up to -2 here now.

Jeez...  :o

hillbilly

« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:54:56 am »
Toasty. 

Are his water bottles freezing up?  Or is he doing the trick of putting them in your back pocket?

« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:15:42 pm »
6 mins ago.  They've frozen.

"Down to minus 8 this morning. Turning at Cirencester Ice finally starting to melt at midday both bottles still frozen"

« Reply #20 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:27:32 pm »
The Rule is standard for all UMCA competitions / events. Which if you consider their normal fare of RAAM and other 7 day type events where sleep debts can be accumulated by riders and crew as they race to the finish makes sense. They just didn't think about this one as a one year mile eater where the sleep debt can't build up too much as the end is too far away to recover it.
I hadn't appreciated the no-drinking rule.  Bit over the top health & safety, surely?!

I consider going a week without a beer as good going!! 

« Reply #21 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:42:43 pm »
Flippin cold 'Uppt North' today, very strong windchill factor going on.

I noticed one of the hosts mentioned they'd never seen someone layer up quite like Steve.  Any chance of a winter cold days riding Clothing Kit List?  I'm sure the sponsors would like this.

Just considering whether to change to Winter Bib Tights, rather than my Bib Shorts, Aldi Merino long johns with Ski Socks and Crivit cycling trousers over the top of those.  They do the job, but it's quite a few items to gather together and faff with pre ride.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #22 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »

Not really. +5 this morning  :) :)

« Reply #23 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:15:06 pm »

I noticed one of the hosts mentioned they'd never seen someone layer up quite like Steve.  Any chance of a winter cold days riding Clothing Kit List?  I'm sure the sponsors would like this.

He's riding at a very low intensity so he'll need the extra clothing.

« Reply #24 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:56:40 pm »
I hadn't appreciated the no-drinking rule.  Bit over the top health & safety, surely?!

I consider going a week without a beer as good going!!

I think it was more a case of failure to remove it from a standardised ruleset than a designed prohibition.