Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 23rd  (Read 12004 times)

Re: Jan 23rd
« Reply #75 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:41:20 am »
When it comes to comparisons with the other competitors, it may well be exciting as the year progresses.  But really I'm only that interested in what Steve is doing because he's chasing a record set in Britain, albeit a different Britain and in British conditions.  Kurt or William may well ride to the moon (or they may well not) but Steve is the one I'm interested in because his type of riding in our conditions relates to what so many of us understand on this forum and in the TT and Audax "community".  That's not to belittle the others' possible achievements but it was Steve set up the challenge for himself and if he does what he hopes to do then he has completed his challenge successfully.  (Actually, if he stopped NOW, it's still been an amazing feat.)

Peter

very good points  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #76 on: 24 January, 2015, 08:10:38 am »
Frozen water weighs the same as water.

True. But frozen water is just a weight handicap - it ain't doing the hydration job it was taken on board for and it's sitting in the bidon all day rather than being consumed and "jettisoned" at some point en route.

« Reply #77 on: 24 January, 2015, 08:38:56 am »

Quote from: Peter on Today at 12:40:38 AM

When it comes to comparisons with the other competitors, it may well be exciting as the year progresses.  But really I'm only that interested in what Steve is doing because he's chasing a record set in Britain, albeit a different Britain and in British conditions.  Kurt or William may well ride to the moon (or they may well not) but Steve is the one I'm interested in because his type of riding in our conditions relates to what so many of us understand on this forum and in the TT and Audax "community".  That's not to belittle the others' possible achievements but it was Steve set up the challenge for himself and if he does what he hopes to do then he has completed his challenge successfully.  (Actually, if he stopped NOW, it's still been an amazing feat.)

Peter

very good points  :thumbsup:

I am in total agreement with this, Steve is going for the British record, whatever the other nationalities are doing they can't get the British record.   

« Reply #78 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:53:40 pm »
I am in total agreement with this, Steve is going for the British record, whatever the other nationalities are doing they can't get the British record.   

While Godwin was a British rider, riding on British roads, the Cycling year record was historically an international one - Ossie Nicolson (1933 and 1937) set it in Australia, and I assume that Marcel Planes (1911, the first holder) and Rene Menzies (also 1937) rode in France.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #79 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:57:04 pm »
Planes rode in the UK and Menzies possibly did the same (can't remember). Menzies rode for a British club when he rode PBP in 1948 and 1951. But yes, it is a world record.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #80 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:04:23 pm »
Thanks - I checked about Nicolson, but was too lazy to do so about Planes and Menzies.

red marley

« Reply #81 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:41:52 pm »
Ossie may have been an Aussie but he still advertised the most British of institutions

« Reply #82 on: 24 January, 2015, 11:24:48 pm »
Will Steve's saddles be in demand for the Brooks special collection too?