Author Topic: [HAMR] Feb 24th  (Read 5423 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
[HAMR] Feb 24th
« on: 24 February, 2015, 06:13:36 am »
He's having a lie-in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

Re: Feb 24th
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:46:31 am »
He's off now, or at least the SPOT is broadcasting.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:55:34 am »
[Drat. I could have been first. ]

Thought Of The Day:
He's nearly 2 months in. It's flown by! And if he can do 2 months in the weather we've had, you have to be optimistic about him knocking off 365 days to schedule.

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:14:16 am »
It seems Steve is redefining what is and isn't possible for someone with a lot of determination, and a great talent for riding a bike. Thankfully, I am not the only one he is putting to shame (though in terms of degrees of shame I must be right up there).

I spent much of my hour in the turbo dungeon (garage) last night listening to the rain hammering on the window, and the wind whistling round the corners wondering "how does he find the motivation day after day?"

I for one am glad he does

GO TEETHGRINDER!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:03:00 am »
Go Steve!
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:06:20 am »
'Ear 'ear!  Springtime's just around the corner.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:43:11 am »
Nice bright day out there for him today.
He'll get plenty warm enough today with all that clobber on.
Garry Broad

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:46:56 am »
As daylight and the sun's strength increase things can only get better for Steve and Tarzan I am sure there will be days when we are all sat at work thinking 'I wish I was out on my bike today like TG'
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:48:51 am »
Probably not the right thread, but I'll give it a go anyway. Steve was going to be spending three consecutive Tuesday nights in Bristol. The first would have been today, but when I checked the calendar last evening ahead of some TG tracking and possible interception, all three dates had been taken out. Is this is a long range weather forecast issue or the host unfortunately having to drop out?

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:05:24 am »
As daylight and the sun's strength increase things can only get better for Steve and Tarzan I am sure there will be days when we are all sat at work thinking 'I wish I was out on my bike today like TG'

I believe that unless Tarzan moves north he will not significantly benefit from longer days but may just frazzle under the sun given where he is in the US.   I suspect that he plans to move about.

Steve of course is not constrained to the UK but is dependant upon hosts.   I'd love to be able to afford to hire a suitable dwelling in the north of Scotland allowing him to benefit from the simmer dim.   :D   

TGS

« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:00:45 am »
Probably not the right thread, but I'll give it a go anyway. Steve was going to be spending three consecutive Tuesday nights in Bristol. The first would have been today, but when I checked the calendar last evening ahead of some TG tracking and possible interception, all three dates had been taken out. Is this is a long range weather forecast issue or the host unfortunately having to drop out?

I think tactical switches of location will be a useful part of Steve's strategy during the year. He switched to Bournemouth from Lowestoft on Saturday to avoid gale force headwinds on Sunday

Yep - that is why team chose to relocate him last night - original plan was Lowestoft again - which would have been a right B back into the rising wind today. So a total switch of direction for yesterday - to make today easier.

Team is doing its best to help Mr TG

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:16:54 am »
Looking at Tommy Godwin's schedule he didn't really start to pick up his mileage until the second half of May.  March and April can be windy months and it may be wind and rain as much as the cold that inhibits Steve's progress.  I think we will see TG very gradually pick up the daily distance so that 205 then 210 becomes the norm.   
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:30:12 am »

Dont know the answer -- but ALL pencilled in stays are  provisional - the physical location of host might be judged wrong ( ie after some really nasty ways in or too hilly ) or weather might dictate late switch (Lowestoft out, Bournemouth in last Saturday ) - host could call off - nasty colds/ flu around at home, Steve might just fancy doing something different -- etc etc

So calendar is not a guarantee and can be changed at quite short notice.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #13 on: 24 February, 2015, 11:19:08 am »
ALL pencilled in stays are  provisional - the physical location of host might be judged wrong ( ie after some really nasty ways in or too hilly ) or weather might dictate late switch (Lowestoft out, Bournemouth in last Saturday ) - host could call off - nasty colds/ flu around at home, Steve might just fancy doing something different -- etc etc

Excellent wisdom!

« Reply #14 on: 24 February, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »
He's having a lie-in.

Alas not

GPS #muppetry from me and issues safely removing device from computer made for a late start Low mileage day today

« Reply #15 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:55:26 pm »
I believe that unless Tarzan moves north he will not significantly benefit from longer days but may just frazzle under the sun given where he is in the US.   I suspect that he plans to move about.

Sure I read somewhere that Tarzan was planning to visit all the "normal" states during the year.
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #16 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:01:35 pm »
I see he is very close to a place called Quorn.  Isn't that something to do with sausages?  ;D

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #17 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:07:34 pm »
I see he is very close to a place called Quorn.  Isn't that something to do with sausages?  ;D

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #18 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:49:13 pm »
There might be a snack change, he's at Melton Mowbray, time for a pork pie or three?

« Reply #19 on: 24 February, 2015, 03:15:57 pm »
Fancy planning a bike ride near a village called Six Hills ???

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20 on: 24 February, 2015, 03:24:16 pm »
Fancy planning a bike ride near a village called Six Hills ???

Back where I grew up is a place called Seven Hills, though there are plenty of more 'scenic' towns in the area.  And it's not nearly as large or interesting as the original.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #21 on: 24 February, 2015, 03:30:24 pm »
There is Zevenbergen (seven Mountains) in North Brabant. It is absolutely flat.

The railway station is desolate on a Sunday night when you have just missed the train.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #22 on: 24 February, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »
Bother - he went virtually past my front door just after lunch whilst I was in a particularly pointless meeting at work  :(

Steve's route through Six Hills isn't exactly hilly.  It is nothing compared with his route up through Markfield and on to Copt Oak in search of the fabled North-West passage around Leicester.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 24 February, 2015, 05:57:20 pm »

I once had a whim and I had to obey it,
To buy a French horn in a second-hand shop.
I polished it up and I started to play it,
In spite of the neighbours who begged me to stop.

To sound my horn,
I had to develop my embouchure.
I found my horn,
Was a bit of a devil to play.
So artfully wound,
To give you a sound,
A beautiful sound,
So rich and round.

Oh the hours I had to spend,
Before I mastered it in the end.

But that was yesterday.
And just today,
I looked in the usual place.
There was the case,
But the horn itself was missing!

Oh where can it have gone?
Haven't you, hasn't anyone seen my horn?
Oh where can it have gone?
What a blow, now I know,
I'm unable to play my Allegro.

Who swiped that horn?
I bet you a quid somebody did.
Knowing I found a concerto,
And wanted to play it,
Afraid of my talent at playing the horn.
For early today to my utter dismay,
It had vanished away like the dew in the morn.

I've lost that horn!
I know I was using it yesterday.
I've lost that horn, lost that horn,
Found that horn gorn.

There's not much hope of getting it back,
Though I'd willingly pay a reward.

I know some hearty folk,
Whose party joke's pretending to hunt with the Quorn.
Gone away, gone away.
Was it one of them who took it away?
Will you kindly return that horn?
Where is the devil who pinched my horn?
I shall tell the police!

I want that French horn back.

I miss its music more and more and more.
Without that horn I'm feeling sad and so forelorn.

I found a concerto and wanted to play it,
Displaying my talent at playing the horn.
But early today to my utter dismay,
It had totally vanished away.
I practised the horn and I wanted to play it,
But somebody took it away!
I practised the horn and was longing to play it,
But somebody took it away!

My neighbour's asleep in his bed,
I'll soon make him wish he were dead,
I'll take up the tuba instead - WAA WAA !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_BFM_wJMU
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:39:45 pm »

Sure I read somewhere that Tarzan was planning to visit all the "normal" states during the year.

Somewhere in the "Comments" on the Automatic Diary is a link to a page about some chap who did this, though as I didn't read it when it was posted and now can't find it I don't know whether he cycled or how long it took him.  I shall investigate further.

Edit: it's a driving thing.  How to drive through all 48 of the continental United States in 113 hours.  You'd have to change the route somewhat to do it on a bike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime