Author Topic: 🦍 Audax 🐋Animal 🐌 Award (AAnA)  (Read 3711 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
🦍 Audax 🐋Animal 🐌 Award (AAnA)
« on: 06 August, 2018, 02:05:17 pm »
I thought this thread could add an 'I-Spy' dimension to Audax rides.

1. Count the number of animal species you've spotted during the ride (e.g. if you see 100 alpaca in a field that only counts as 1 point);
2. Add a bonus point if you're naming a species for the first time in the thread (excluding this OP);
3. Divide this overall number by the distance points to get your AAnA score. For BPs use a nominal 1 per 100km;
4. DIYs and ECEs count in the same way.

For example:

Essex R&R
Spotted - cow, sheep, horse, pig, chicken, alpaca, cat (x3), deer (small) - total 8 species
Divide by 2 points (200km)
AAnA score is 4.

Over to you and photographic 'brevidence' (in this thread) is very much encouraged.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: 🦍 Audax 🐋Animal 🐌 Award (AAnA)
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »
Unfortunately I saw Mr Badger and Mr Fox having a sleep on the roadside in my last brevet, would I count them? 🤔
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2018, 02:15:40 pm »
That's a good question. I left out Mr/Mrs Rabbit from my list for the same sad reason.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2018, 02:29:34 pm »
Okay. 240km DIY on Saturday:
Alpaca! at least I think it was an alpaca, could have been a llama.
Dragonflies
Butterflies, at least three species
Heron
Buzzards
Kestrel
Swallows
Cows
Sheep
Horses
Tractors don't be silly!

That makes 12 species (counting 3 butterflies – but not counting the tractors!) so 6 AAnA points. But this ride also saw the evolution of a new species, or rather the metamorphosis of one species to another; from normal randonneur to super randonneur! (not me, I hasten to add)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2018, 05:42:56 pm »

I passed this pheasant plucker on the 2017 Yr Elenydd 300km. He was quite happy with himself having bagged a pheasant in the first 100km which he carried all the way around with it's head hanging out of his saddlebag. At the final control in Brampton he came in and told us he had picked up another so had a brace of pheasant to show for the day out. I asked him if he had bothered with the badger (which you smelt about a mile before you saw its bloated decomposing body) but he said he had left it there. We had spoke earlier in the day and he told us on one audax he came across a small dead deer which he put safe and got his dad to collect for him.
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2018, 07:14:32 pm »
Putting the lid straps to good use; old skool!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »
Unfortunately I saw Mr Badger and Mr Fox having a sleep on the roadside in my last brevet, would I count them? 🤔

This brings us to one of my favourite Audax games...... "Dead or Resting"   ... mostly applies to animals, occasionally fellow riders.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »
I passed this pheasant plucker on the 2017 Yr Elenydd 300km. He was quite happy with himself having bagged a pheasant in the first 100km which he carried all the way around with it's head hanging out of his saddlebag. At the final control in Brampton he came in and told us he had picked up another so had a brace of pheasant to show for the day out. I asked him if he had bothered with the badger (which you smelt about a mile before you saw its bloated decomposing body) but he said he had left it there. We had spoke earlier in the day and he told us on one audax he came across a small dead deer which he put safe and got his dad to collect for him.

Surprised by the deer; you need to Gralloch them pretty quickly after they cease to be; otherwise they turn rancid; which apparently is one of the reasons poachers are easily traced by gamekeepers who catch thme in the act.

I've a history of the things landing on my car bonnet, so am rather jittery when they are caught in my bike lights; the mess the one that decided to try and rut my grille with a 40mph speed differential thankfully only took out the bonnet, bumper, air con condenser as it was the middle of nowhere and dark.
The one that hopped over a fence onto the nose of the bonnet was a different matter; both lights, air con condenser (thankfully protecting the radiator), bonnet, indicator units and the crush bar... and I'd not long bought the car.

Both cost less to rebuild than replacing a bike would.

not a DIY, but I was out last friday night, and startled 6 of them before I left Fife; didn't see any for the other 60km round the Tay.
Even more surprisingly for a Friday evening, I didn't see any wildlife in either Dundee or Perth either, must have just missed pub closing time.

Re: Audax Animal Award (AAnA)
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2018, 11:01:55 am »
This sounds a good point at which to mention the Cheshire Safari which goes through Tatton deer park and Chester Zoo.  You even get to see plenty of Cheshire diary farms.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2018, 10:49:13 am »
Yesterday's DIY 200: lots of small horses in Thurrock, dragonfly, cows, sheep, chickens, cats, dogs. Also passed Colchester Zoo but didn't clock anything there. So 8 (inc bonus for dragonfly) / 2 = 4 points. 
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2018, 12:27:19 pm »
Lizards
Cows with proper bells round their necks
A Manotea
Wild boar

and lastly ... but easily my favourite ..
A brace of Marmots.  :)  [the only photo is very poor - they are small, brown, and don't sit very near the roads]

[All May 2017 - a Perm on foreign soil.
I want to be clear that these were all alive, and we didn't bring any of them home with us.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:03:15 pm »

Do we lose points, if we ran the animal over? Just wondering how to count the rabbit and the frog I ran over...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:13:35 pm »

Do we lose points, if we ran the animal over? Just wondering how to count the rabbit and the frog I ran over...

J

Follow up question, does it still count if we ate the animal? (it was a fly, and I had no choice in the matter...)

J
--

Ben T

« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:36:36 pm »

J

Follow up question, does it still count if we ate the animal? (it was a fly, and I had no choice in the matter...)

J

While on that subject. You may assume that butterflies, being beautiful, are also intelligent enough not to fly into a cyclist's mouth.
(click to show/hide)
Warning. Butterflies are NOT intelligent.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 01 September, 2018, 07:36:44 pm »
Does this one count for anything?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109224.msg2316013#msg2316013

OK, I wasn't on a Audax ride but I was wearing an Audax jersey   :-\
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 08 October, 2018, 11:23:11 pm »

So, Saturdays 300...

Dragonfly
Wild Boar
Buzzard
Owl (making a kill, can I count it's dinner too?)
Frogs (plaaague of frogs!)
1 Toad
Smaller bird of prey than the buzzard
Heron
Huuuge murmuration of starlings
Horses
Cows
Chickens
Pigs
Sheep
Hare
Bee (It still counts if it bounces off your glasses right?)
Flies
Big beetles
Small Beetles
Earth worm
Bat
Black water fowl the name of which I can't remember
Pigeon
Cat

Which I think is 24, divided by 3, for 8 points.

J
--

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2018, 08:05:24 am »
Excellent!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2018, 08:24:57 am »
A splendid list, but not much time to study it....  I'm still running away from the Bear....