Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109408 times)

robbo6

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1325 on: 26 April, 2009, 11:18:57 am »
I've just ebayed a pair of cottered steel slightly rusty cranks for £90.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1326 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »
I rode 'not so pink, white and blue bike' for the first time in five months.

The problem with emergency repairs in November you put them straight in to LBS without cleaning them so I got a filth bike back.  On a planned service I clean the bike apart from the bits I know are going to be replaced so I normally get a nice bike back.

The chain is slippling so I will probably need to buy a new sprocket and chain.

It was raining this morning.

Despite dirty bike, slipping chain and arrival at work I am happy. Pink, white and blue bike is not Dawes Discovery 101. :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1327 on: 27 April, 2009, 04:20:27 pm »
Our fledgling touring career is likely to continue in 2009.  It looks like me, Twinkle Toes and Tina the Tandem will be attempting a 100 mile circuit one weekend in June.  The route passes through places that spell out her name.  We hope to raise money for her Cub pack.  It had better happen as I am currently helping boost the GB plc economy by purchasing panniers and sundry camping kit.  [Edit: I may not being helping much as so far the kit I have bought has come from France, Germany and the US.  I have been purchasing from UK retailers though]  ;D

At the end of May we are going on test ride to a local pub with campsite attached (The Huntsman and Hounds)

In 2010 The Boss tells me we will be going on a proper tour in French France  :o :o :o

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1328 on: 27 April, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »

At the end of May we are going on test ride to a local pub with campsite attached (The Huntsman and Hounds)

That's a bizarre co-incidence - I was contemplating a trip there (en-famille, with whopping big tent, so not cycling it) in late May (20th/21st - mid-week, so unlikely to overlap with yours, I guess) to test out all the new or new-ish camping gear for a couple of nights.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1329 on: 27 April, 2009, 08:10:23 pm »
it doesnt take over an hour to catch a bicycle, every day for the last week ;D

Mrs Mikes sense of humour?    Fail.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1330 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:27:02 pm »
it doesnt take over an hour to catch a bicycle, every day for the last week ;D

Mrs Mikes sense of humour?    Fail.

Did you laugh until you were a little hoarse?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1331 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:18:07 pm »
Talking of little horses, can Mrs Mike recommend any good riding stable (not too poncey) within reasonable reach of London? I've been bitten by the bug again :D

« Reply #1332 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:38:51 pm »
Talking of little horses, can Mrs Mike recommend any good riding stable (not too poncey) within reasonable reach of London? I've been bitten by the bug again :D
Have you tried the one in Wimbledon? Ridgeway(?). They are cheaper than the Richmond park ones. Kingston Riding Centre are very good and have a side saddle, but quite expensive. I think it might be worth looking around SE London as they get quite a lot cheaper quite fast. There used to be one near Bromley Common that I've heard good things about. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1333 on: 28 April, 2009, 01:22:04 am »
My girlfriend's colleagues have somehow managed to persuade her that tandems are cool, so we're in the market for a tandem. Woot!

« Reply #1334 on: 28 April, 2009, 07:06:19 am »

she say "no idea, sorry".  Friends go to one in Pinner, but I dont know if it's any good.

but do you fancy n+1?  There might be one for sale up here soon if he doesnt start behaving a bit better....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1335 on: 28 April, 2009, 09:06:29 am »
My girlfriend's colleagues have somehow managed to persuade her that tandems are cool, so we're in the market for a tandem. Woot!

Someone say they want a tandem? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1336 on: 28 April, 2009, 10:39:23 am »
Any one got one for sale? Bear in mind my gf is only 5ft and I'm only 5' 7", they build us small in the Far East...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1337 on: 28 April, 2009, 12:24:00 pm »

That's a bizarre co-incidence - I was contemplating a trip there (en-famille, with whopping big tent, so not cycling it) in late May (20th/21st - mid-week, so unlikely to overlap with yours, I guess) to test out all the new or new-ish camping gear for a couple of nights.

Cool.  If you're members of the Camping & Caravan Club then Retreat Farm at Little Baddow is very nice.  We're off to the Moon & Sixpence near Woodbridge, expensive but good.

« Reply #1338 on: 28 April, 2009, 01:47:43 pm »
Last time we stayed at 'Moon and Sixpence' our daughter was still in Baby Grows and slept in a cot in the awning.   She will be 33 this year.    Didn't think it still existed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1339 on: 29 April, 2009, 10:51:25 am »
Last time we stayed at 'Moon and Sixpence' our daughter was still in Baby Grows and slept in a cot in the awning.   She will be 33 this year.    Didn't think it still existed.

Still there and thriving from what we could tell.  It has the poshest loo block that we have ever used and we've visited countless sites at home and on the continent.  Go again, you'll like it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1340 on: 02 May, 2009, 02:30:20 pm »
Peli is in the cab on her way home from the hospital with our new addition to our family ;)

With hospital I mean Brixton Cycle and addition to the family I mean 2 new bikes
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1341 on: 02 May, 2009, 07:15:13 pm »
Peli is in the cab on her way home from the hospital with our new addition to our family ;)

With hospital I mean Brixton Cycle and addition to the family I mean 2 new bikes

I should damn well think so...  >:(

We'll have the YACF Wedding before before we have the YACF Christening/Naming Ceremony, thank you very much!  This is a family forum, you know...

***Picks out hat***
 ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

gordon taylor

« Reply #1342 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:20:18 pm »
After a decade of horrendous teenage troubles at the extreme end of the scale (drugs, courts, college drop outs etc...)

My four children have finally grown up and are lovely, lovely people.

I knew the time would some, but it has been a long and painful wait,

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1343 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:13:14 pm »
Empathy  matey.  Bloody empathy. 
Isn't it great when you all come out the other side?

Good luck, the Gordys
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

JJ

« Reply #1344 on: 14 May, 2009, 01:47:38 pm »
For the last 2 1/2 weeks I've had a trapped nerve in my lower back.  It feels a bit like a medium-bad cramp down the back of one leg, and it's been making me grumpy.  After lunch I lay down on the office floor and did my lower back exercise, knees together, over to one side and then the other.  There was an almighty cracking sound from my spine and as I type I am totally and utterly pain-free.  I don't know if it'll last but just for know I LIKE IT.

Thank you for listening.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1345 on: 14 May, 2009, 02:05:10 pm »
Ah.  I know that sense of relief.
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #1346 on: 14 May, 2009, 06:03:01 pm »
I have found my YACF buff that I thought I had lost just before departing for JoG 2 weeks ago :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1347 on: 14 May, 2009, 06:17:41 pm »
Was it round your neck?

« Reply #1348 on: 16 May, 2009, 11:28:08 am »
The Crossing Patrol man told me that the lowlife who assaulted him had been jailed for 9 months, a result which he found reasonably satisfying.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1349 on: 22 May, 2009, 03:30:27 pm »
It's nearly half term and we're off camping tomorrow :thumbsup:.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.