Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124014 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #525 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:45:44 pm »
Got upgraded to FTTC today.

My line is made from poorly-cooked spaghetti, and ADSL2+ speed has dropped progressively from about 15Mbit to 6 over the course of a couple of years.
It looses sync several times a day.
It really needs a Shaun the BT Slayer on it's miserable ass, but that's for another day.

With FTTC, I'm back up to 15Mbit, and we'll see how stable it is.

Oh, and the BT OpenRetch VDSL modem supports baby-jumbos, so I can haz 1500 MTU from my PPP endpoint machine! Yay!

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #526 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:47:02 am »
That looks very poor for FTTC. How far from the cabinet are you?
I would be having words with AAISP straight away.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #527 on: 19 November, 2015, 11:36:20 pm »
Just had the Virgin upgrade from 100 to 150

I remember when we first got broadband with Demon.  About 2002 I think.  0.5Mb/s and that seemed so fast.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #528 on: 28 December, 2015, 04:58:46 am »
Ho ho ho. Moved house. 38mbps promised. BT Infinity ordered. Congratulations - your Infinity service is ready, they cried...

Don't I just love BT?

« Reply #529 on: 28 December, 2015, 11:50:25 am »
Up to, dear boy, up to...... :(   My free Virgin "doubling" upgrade will cost me another £29 a month apparently, so won't be bothering.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

« Reply #530 on: 28 December, 2015, 09:04:34 pm »
'Guaranteed minimum' 20 Mbps. They'd better come good on that guarantee.

« Reply #531 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:59:18 pm »
We are an oasis of poor speeds that compare to TimC (28/12/15 post) so we have the Superfast project team and BT reasonably high paid help for the area coming to the next Parish meeting.  With much discussion about all the technical stuff thus far, I found the diagram here to be most useful, or depressing for some in our village:

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

Even with fibre to the cabinet in the village some folk might not be able to access BT Infinity, particularly as some of their cable is aluminium and not copper.  And we need 2 cabinets, apparently, as the capacity for the fibre is less than the old technology.

Perhaps George will look behind the cushions on the sofa and find some more money for the next Budget to help folk who are only 2 km from a brand spanking new fibre cabinet, to have the old cable replaced with new cable to increase the speed.  A farm between the new cabinet and a pole just outside the property has benefited from replacement cable after tree damage to the old cable and is now up to between 44 and 32 Mbps while only 400m away in the village the speed is similar to TimC as they use a different route from the same cabinet.  Oh the joy of technology!

Also, we are very near the conurbation of the West Midlands and can only watch as they all benefit from cable services (Council said 'No') smart TV, live sport etc etc.

« Reply #532 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:16:09 pm »

I remember when we first got broadband with Demon.  About 2002 I think.  0.5Mb/s and that seemed so fast.

I'm with Virgin and my figures are similar.

TimC

« Reply #533 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:40:05 am »
Ho ho ho. Moved house. 38mbps promised. BT Infinity ordered. Congratulations - your Infinity service is ready, they cried...

Don't I just love BT?

It's up to 3.8 mbs now. Engineer booked for today (would have been the 4th visit) didn't turn up. No excuse given. Promised call back (after an hour's hold to get to talk to someone) didn't happen either. Bill arrived for £146. Grink written to CEO.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #534 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:36:04 am »
It's up to 3.8 mbs now. Engineer booked for today (would have been the 4th visit) didn't turn up. No excuse given. Promised call back (after an hour's hold to get to talk to someone) didn't happen either. Bill arrived for £146. Grink written to CEO.

Yebbut 3.8mbps!  You must be wondering what to do with all your new-found bandwidth  :D
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

TimC

« Reply #535 on: 24 January, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »

Yebbut 3.8mbps!  You must be wondering what to do with all your new-found bandwidth  :D

Indeed! But it was frustrating - especially when my two teenage kids turned up at Christmas expecting to play PS4/X-Box MMO games while I'm trying to stream ancient rock music via YouTube!

Anyway, teh grink to Gavin had instant results. I had a reply from him before I woke up yesterday, and an engineer turned up by 10:30 am. A high-up manager from BT Customer Relations e-mailed promising me the earth, and I was Customer No1 for the moment. Engineer worked some magic, and now:

Ok, it's well below what some have reported, but it's within the service guarantee and it'll do for now!

« Reply #536 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:36:09 pm »

I'm with Virgin and my figures are similar.
I'm with Virgin too.  Do you notice variation in speed across the day? Also, what networking setup are you using to get over 100Mb/s?
I've run tests and got anywhere between 20 and 40 Mb/s on my laptop (wifi), and 25-75Mb/s on my (powerline wired) desktop. And I just got 110Mb/s on my mobile! The upload seems quite steady at about 13Mb/s no matter which device.
Cheers
Duncan

Chris S

« Reply #537 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:53:25 am »
Still no Broadband at Nouveau fboab/Chris S Towers, so we're using a 4G LTE router and an EE data-only sim to serve the house WiFi internet needs.

EE 2x 4G isn't too shabby - if it wasn't capped at 25Gb a month, I'd probably stick with it as a solution and not bother with a land line at all.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #538 on: 19 March, 2016, 11:11:21 am »
Up to, dear boy, up to...... :(   My free Virgin "doubling" upgrade will cost me another £29 a month apparently, so won't be bothering.

I'm still trying to get my head around how on earth a "Free upgrade" can cost £29 a month and not be a breach of some advertising law.

Truly the mind boggles.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #539 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:02:55 pm »

Truly pathetic.

Morat

« Reply #540 on: 25 March, 2016, 09:23:02 am »
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1825600085

No BT copper involved. Wireless for the win.
I managed to bring about a partnership between my work and a local WISP. They now have a gigabit connectionfrom Virgin which feeds the local area and our offices.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #541 on: 25 March, 2016, 09:27:06 am »
But ur image, it is full of FAIL :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Morat

« Reply #542 on: 25 March, 2016, 09:31:13 am »
But ur image, it is full of FAIL :P
Isn't it  :(
I'll have to sort it out when I drag myself out of my pit towards the full sized babbage engine :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #543 on: 10 April, 2016, 01:45:05 pm »

BB at Llanerchindda is much improved...

Chris S

« Reply #544 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:50:41 pm »
Finally! Only two months late  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #545 on: 12 April, 2016, 08:20:04 pm »

Good (in some ways) to be back home...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #546 on: 14 April, 2016, 06:28:09 pm »
Got regraded from AAISP's ADSL units tariff (on BT backhaul) to their shiny new Home::1 Terrabyte ADSL package (on TalkTalk backhaul) this morning.

It's ostensibly the same old ADSL2+ (which is fine, as it's just the two of us and we're all of 300m from the exchange), existing IP allocations etc. remain the same, but the wholesale bandwidth is much cheaper, so we get a flat-rate allocation of 1TB/month and no peak/off-peak hours to worry about.

Downtime was about 6 minutes.  (And a hiccup from the billing system, causing some spurious invoices to be sent and then cancelled.)

Presumably as a result of differently configured equipment, or perhaps the BT engineer blowing the fluff out of the cable when re-patching things at the exchange, the latency has halved.  Line performance is otherwise comparable.

And, for maximum LOLs, RevK has credited Terrabyte customers with an extra 3TB of quota to use this month, just in case anyone wanted to download the Panama Papers.  Exactly *how* to use up 4TB of quota in 2 weeks[1] on a ~15Mb line (without resorting to underhand L2TP tactics) is left an an exercise for the reader...  :)

[1] Okay, it carries over, so it's actually 5TB in 6 weeks.

« Reply #547 on: 14 April, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »
Meanwhile I'm in what used to be a very posh hotel in Berlin (and is now just fairly posh) and the free wifi is throttled to 256kbps. And we're not getting that all the time! I recorded an upload speed of 0.01Mbps last night.
MrsC has been uploading photos to Facebook. I have not been bothering.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #548 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:49:42 pm »
Supplemental to the above, as the line is no longer provided by our-favourite-telco, the ISP gets an API with finer granularity of control over the line profile.  AAISP naturally present this to the customer, so I've tweaked the SNR margin down to 6dB and gained a couple of extra megabits downstream, at a minimal error rate.  We'll see if that remains stable when the students come back and power up all their electronics.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #549 on: 16 April, 2016, 10:58:23 pm »
It's a strictly YMMV situation.

I moved my AAISP to BE backhaul a long time ago.
This was cheaper.

But then BE got borged by sky.

But when AAISP migrated from BE to TT, it went tits-up big time here.
TTs exchange kit just could not sync reliably with me.
It took several changes of hardware and a bunch of support time to get it to work at all.