Author Topic: Dick Turpin's Day Out 200km Permanent on Saturday 23rd January  (Read 15983 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Dick Turpin's Day Out 200km Permanent on Saturday 23rd January
« on: 07 January, 2016, 09:06:33 am »
The Essex Peloton have a window of opportunity for a January 200 on Saturday 23rd.

I've not ridden DTDO recently so that's the plan: others are welcome to join us, either from the start in Dunmow [provisionally 08:00] or en-route. If you want to do your own DIY from home, but hooking up with us and utilising part of my route, that's ok by me.

There might be a cheeky First-Audax-of-2016 celebratory beer, somewhere along the way...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Dick Turpin's Day Out 200km Permanent on Saturday 23rd January
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:17:29 am »
Sounds like a plan, provisionally in!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:51:26 am »
Is anyone who rides remotely at my speed (ie glacial) going to do this ?

So far it's all fast types that have expressed an interest whether in this thread or in actual real life.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:03:23 am »
I'm interested, weather and RealLifeTM permitting.
Mr Smith is dependant on the preceding weekend's weather (we're Warming our Willies, and he doesn't want to ride both).

ted- I'm not as fast as Tomsk but I've never ridden with either jiber or yourself. I'll be solo, and possibly fixed, so that generally means somewhere about 20-24kph moving average.
Tomsk has always been very gentlemanly when I've ridden with him and pretended quite convincingly that my speed was the speed he would be going anyway.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:32:28 am »
For anyone thinking of joining Tomsk et al. it's possible to start & finish this perm from Braintree train station, like so: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/7511708
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:09:09 am »
I'm interested, weather and RealLifeTM permitting.
Mr Smith is dependant on the preceding weekend's weather (we're Warming our Willies, and he doesn't want to ride both).

ted- I'm not as fast as Tomsk but I've never ridden with either jiber or yourself. I'll be solo, and possibly fixed, so that generally means somewhere about 20-24kph moving average.
Tomsk has always been very gentlemanly when I've ridden with him and pretended quite convincingly that my speed was the speed he would be going anyway.

I think we did Santa in 18kph average, I'm not fast I don't think, just not very well disciplined at keeping a pace yet, so happy to be forced to go slower if I am going to fast :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:10:58 am »
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/7511708

Is that Coddenham to Needham Market bit rideable? And is that the official route? I've looked down that track and decided against it!

I've done this perm (years ago) but don't really remember...

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:22:24 am »
I think we did Santa in 18kph average, I'm not fast I don't think, just not very well disciplined at keeping a pace yet, so happy to be forced to go slower if I am going to fast :)

That was elapsed time average.  I would hope that our moving average would be closer to 25.

As you know, I can keep up normally.  It's just that if Tomsk and Tippers decide on a podium ride and everyone else joins in then I might struggle on fixed.  You haven't experienced the delight of the Essex peloton on the occasions when they have left me behind as DL and AndyC33 put the toe down while I try to intercept them  :facepalm:

Anyway, sod it, I'm in it looks like fun and I haven't ridden DTDO before.  Fingers crossed for some decent weather  :thumbsup:

My real concern is probably finding myself drawn into RRTY.  I know if I start it then it will become another obsession and then I will end up riding a 200 at some point instead of doing something else.

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:23:52 am »
I did it a few weeks back and all was in order. The slight incline out of Debenham was as much fun as ever!

Ted, I think you should join us for sure. I'm planning on taking it a bit easier, January I struggle to get anywhere in any hurry and I am likely still going to have a few sore patches...and I'll probably manage to fine the only pieces of glass on the road again!

With a Smaller group of folk the pace usually moderates itself to a point where everyone can be as comfortable as possible, I'll growl at JiberJaber again when he keeps trying to pick up the pace  ;D

February things get a bit more lively again :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:28:11 am »

My real concern is probably finding myself drawn into RRTY.  I know if I start it then it will become another obsession and then I will end up riding a 200 at some point instead of doing something else.
well....you'l have Dec and Jan done so as good as there! You can still say you are being normal, look at Wilkyboy who has 2 RRTY's on the go at the same time. As I said, in the summer you really can work it so it has minimum impact on family life as long as you are willing to get up early and push on a little if you do a DIY you can even avoid stopping a lot.

My problem is more often that I find myself doing something else instead of riding a 200, very annoying.

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:53:31 am »
Mummy, make the bad man stop,

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »
Half tempted to join you guys - I posted an entry for DTDO to Tomsk a couple of days ago to get in a January 200k, and was planning to ride midweek on an OK looking weather day (if we ever get such a thing in January), but I may end up either riding it with you guys, or even riding it twice(!).

Tippers, Tomsk and I have some previous of silly winter 200k perms from last year, let's hope the weather isn't like that again!

« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »

Tippers, Tomsk and I have some previous of silly winter 200k perms from last year, let's hope the weather isn't like that again!
Oh how I miss the flakes of snow burning against my face and the feeling of slipping back into wet gloves with fingers I no longer feel!  ;D

Would be great to see you again!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:41:09 pm »
Is that Coddenham to Needham Market bit rideable?
Well it's rideable if one likes bouncing down a dirty track.

And is that the official route?
No, and for good reason.

I've looked down that track and decided against it!
Whereas I've looked down it and decided to give it a go, a mistake I'll only make once! The problem arises because Coddenham Road is a dead end and it isn't possible to cross the A14: https://goo.gl/maps/kpCHGAv86tH2
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:13:34 pm »

That was elapsed time average.  I would hope that our moving average would be closer to 25.

As you know, I can keep up normally.  It's just that if Tomsk and Tippers decide on a podium ride and everyone else joins in then I might struggle on fixed.  You haven't experienced the delight of the Essex peloton on the occasions when they have left me behind as DL and AndyC33 put the toe down while I try to intercept them  :facepalm:

Anyway, sod it, I'm in it looks like fun and I haven't ridden DTDO before.  Fingers crossed for some decent weather 

23.6 kph moving.
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:58:30 pm »
Oh how I miss the flakes of snow burning against my face and the feeling of slipping back into wet gloves with fingers I no longer feel!  ;D

This?   ;)   (you still managed not to drop the camera, so it can't've been all that cold)

I just remember being slower than all of you after about 80km  :facepalm:  Oh, and catching up with you briefly when you had that double-snakebite from the submerged pothole   ::-)

Real Life: I'm out.  I'm still not sure when I'm going to get to ride this month.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »
Ah, the memories...not seen much of that this year although I can claim to having had a couple of flakes of snow on my legs around the Heddinghams earlier last year, that was a spectacular misjudgment on the outfit and it is probably the first time I nearly stopped for a little cry.

That actually reminds me, must get the camera charged and ready, this year is going to be more about the story of the miles I do....more photos and more blog. Miles can come again next year on the run up to LEL.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2016, 06:00:04 pm »
Half tempted to join you guys - I posted an entry for DTDO to Tomsk a couple of days ago to get in a January 200k, and was planning to ride midweek on an OK looking weather day (if we ever get such a thing in January), but I may end up either riding it with you guys, or even riding it twice(!).

! I just emailed you...well spotted!

« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2016, 12:47:07 pm »
Hmmm,

Had been aiming at the Horsepower 200 in March for my first go at an Audax over 100km but there is now a date clash that day so could be looking for something else.

If you'll accept a near virgin with no real idea of actual pace I can ride at but I've comfortably ridden similar distances in the past and I've had a half decent crack at winter commuting this year. I might check and see if Mrs Trekker doesn't mind me disappearing for a day on one of our few spare weekends.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2016, 05:59:52 pm »
Hmmm,

Had been aiming at the Horsepower 200 in March for my first go at an Audax over 100km but there is now a date clash that day so could be looking for something else.

If you'll accept a near virgin with no real idea of actual pace I can ride at but I've comfortably ridden similar distances in the past and I've had a half decent crack at winter commuting this year. I might check and see if Mrs Trekker doesn't mind me disappearing for a day on one of our few spare weekends.
:thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:31:06 pm »
I won't be racing round. Scheduling for something like 12 hours with a few decent stops, [but might be less].

Burns night at the Angel & Harp in Churchend at the finish? [But you'd need to book a table if you want the full Haggis, Neeps n'Tatties]. We're expecting tedshred to wear his kilt.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #21 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »
Burns night... Now there's an idea!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:52:48 pm »

And still of a winter’s night, they say, when the wind is in the trees,

When the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,   

When the road is a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,   

A highwayman comes riding—

Riding—riding—

A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

From "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes, not Rabbie Burns...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #23 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:13:54 pm »
slightly OT - if I wanted to do a Perm Boudiccas 100, can I just get a Brevet off you on Wednesday and decide on a day in the future to do it ?? (was thinking Sat or Sunday at the moment but could I keep hold and nominate a different date if this weekend didn't work out...)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:55:13 pm »
slightly OT - if I wanted to do a Perm Boudiccas 100, can I just get a Brevet off you on Wednesday and decide on a day in the future to do it ?? (was thinking Sat or Sunday at the moment but could I keep hold and nominate a different date if this weekend didn't work out...)

Yes ok - just let me know when you're riding. You'll need to fill in & sign the AUK paper entry form to give me.