Author Topic: Titanium Stoker Stem  (Read 4673 times)

Titanium Stoker Stem
« on: 13 May, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »
Hi All, thought I would share my experience with you for usually a little considered piece of tandem hardware - The Stoker Stem. I knew what I wanted, a mix of stems I have had with Tandems from Jack Taylor and George Longstaff, alas, the Taylors are no longer around and Longstaffs no longer build Stoker stems.
A guy from another forum mentioned he was having a Titanium stoker stem manufactured by XACD in China and the process he went through. Having dealt with the Chinese before, I new patience was the order of the day. Once I contacted Porter at XACD and sent him a rough sketch with dimensions, he then sent a full CAD drawing for my approval. Several drawings later and the last one I printed out at a 1:1 scale, made a cardboard template to try for size, fit, I approved the drawing, paid my money ( cheap in comparison to whats available off the shelf) and then waited, what a surprise when only five days later it arrived on my doorstep. The craftsmanship is second to none as you can see from the photos, really pleased and its fits and looks like I wanted it to.
In the photos, I have "Mocked" the build up before a complete strip down, soda blast and repaint. Im just waiting on the XShifter to be ready so I can drill the frame and set it up before paint it.
http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=562973&stc=1&d=1494602944
http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=562972&stc=1&d=1494602944

Re: Titanium Stoker Stem
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »
That is very pretty  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »
All I can see is:

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page."

Quite frustrating!

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2017, 07:42:58 pm »
All I can see is:

Quite frustrating!

Ditto!

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2017, 08:14:32 pm »
All I can see is:

Quite frustrating!

Ditto!
Apparently, I must have registered in the dim and distant past as I could log in as Butterfly. Good thing I'm not too imaginative with my forum names!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2017, 10:49:45 am »
Yea, dont know how I did that, seems i linked the photos to another forum, could'nt do it again if I tried. I read the forum rules for posting photos, could'nt really get my head round it.
If any one can explain in simple terms how to attach a photo, I will

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2017, 01:18:26 pm »
You cannot host photos on yacf. You have to upload your photos on an external photo hosting service (photobucket, flickr, or whichever you prefer). Once  your photos are there, copy the URL of the image file, and then, on your yacf message, click on the  "insert image" button, past the URL between the tags, et voilĂ !

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2017, 01:49:31 pm »
Juke41, check out No.5 on this page.

I'm genuinely interested to see what XACD did for you / might have some components I'd like them to make for me.

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2017, 04:39:13 pm »
Ah, now its posted, click the link, sorry for any confusion

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2017, 06:31:01 pm »
Very nice! Also, what vintage is the Cannondale? I've been looking for a second hand one for ages :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
its a year 2000 model, which I found the best to fit our needs, especially the mount for the rear disk brake and the fork steerer which is 1"1/8 so gives you a lot of choice and the ability to fit front forks with disk brakes relatively easy.

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:39:01 am »
That's truly gorgeous! Probably the first time I see a curved stem like this. All you need now is a matching front stem  ;)

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:19:57 am »
Longstaffs no longer build Stoker stems.

That would explain why we don't have one despite them promising it...