Author Topic: Newhaven-Dieppe and ride to St Quentin [and back?]  (Read 31466 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Newhaven-Dieppe and ride to St Quentin [and back?]
« on: 09 February, 2015, 08:31:42 pm »
The Essex Peloton, or at least some of those heading to France in August, are contemplating the Newhaven-Dieppe route...

Last time this was organised for about 12 of us by Teethgrinder, who is, we gather, otherwise engaged...although we hope to see him at the start on 16th August! I'm happy to co-ordinate this time around: deciding which ferries to book and reserving a few rooms at a cheapie hotel to break the journey.

The cost is currently £61, for 1 person+bike, return, cabins extra.

Overview, based on what worked last time:

Weds     12th Aug - 23:00 overnight ferry, arr. 05:00
Thurs    13th        - F1 Hotel, Vernon
Fri        14th        - Arr. St Quentin
Sat       15th        -Bike Check
Sun      16th        - Start [unless on 84 hour]
Mon/Tues/Weds/Thurs - just keep pedalling...
Fri        21st        - Ride back to Rouen
Sat       22nd       - Ride to Dieppe, early evening ferry 18:00, arr. 21:00

From memory, the current ferry times look to be about 2 hours later, which may affect onward trains from Newhaven. With a later sailing on 22nd, we could go to Vernon on the way back too. This is just a rough idea at the moment...

Re: Newhaven-Dieppe and ride to St Quentin [and back?]
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »
I'd like to do it; the ride down, at least. 
It was great fun last time, as much as PBP itself!

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2015, 06:01:05 am »
I am up for this one way and would love to gatecrash...plan to stay i on in France for holidays
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2015, 06:18:46 am »
I will be up for this :thumbsup: Did you ride to Newhaven last time or was it car or train?
It's all about the breakfast

« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:31:54 am »
Last time we met up in Newhaven having made our own way there separately.   I rode down  from London.  I'm sure Steve also rode and probably others did as well. 

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:38:48 am »
I am keen to join and still making final plans as I have the family involved in the whole adventure as well. Currently I plan to be travelling over with the family in the car on a train on the Thursday the 13th. I expect we will probably aim to meet up with you in Vernon and I will join in for the Friday ride down to Paris.

« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »
nice one Tomsk thanks count me in please  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:00:42 pm »
Excellent! Make your booking of those ferries as and when. I'll round everyone up, probably after qualifying, to get a few rooms booked in Vernon. If not many are riding back [as last time], I'm prepared to take pot luck with accommodation [as I'll have my tent with me].

I trained it to and from Newhaven in 2011. There's a pub [Harvester or some such?] near the ferry, where we assembled :thumbsup:

...on the way back there were huge queues to exit the port, as Colonel Gaddafi had just gone awol...they waved us through - not even my capacious panniers could have concealed him.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2015, 05:28:09 pm »
This thread makes me more than a little sad.   The ride to/from Paris has been some of my most enjoyable miles of the last 20 years, eating in the same restaurant in Vernon each time.   

Due to extreme lack of holiday time and brownie points this year I have committed to drive down and back so yes, I'll be happily home on Friday night but I will lose some of the experience of the trip.

Rob

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2015, 05:34:43 pm »
Would love to do this but somehow I have ended up driving over by myself, but with all the  family's bikes and  them coming over on the train on the Thursday to meet me at the finish.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »
I would have been very keen for this but I've gone long (and perhaps wrong) by booking the ferry for the Thursday night, with a view to riding a DIY 200 to StQ on the Friday. I don't feel I can justify another day away from home by heading over 24 hours earlier and having havered long enough about the return journey, finally took the plunge today and booked a flight back to Ecosse, rather than going by Eurostar. I now just need to work out how I'll sort a bike bag one way for the flight!

If there are others out there who are sailing on Thursday night, do let me know. I'd also like to know about the (in)famous Vernon lunch stop and to hear from anyone who has a 200+km route they can share with me.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
...the (in)famous Vernon lunch stop...

As I recall, dinner in Vernon was at the 'Buffalo Grill' [yeehaaar tous le monde!], with a leisurely breakfast in the centre ville the next morning. Lunch the day before was memorable, when Teethgrinder consumed his weight in saussison and fromage [no, really ?  ;D] and various members of the party crashed out in the main square of Les Andelys, while others of the party went up-market at a restaurant and pretended they weren't with us...

« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2015, 09:18:37 pm »
I would have been very keen for this but I've gone long (and perhaps wrong) by booking the ferry for the Thursday night, with a view to riding a DIY 200 to StQ on the Friday.

In 2007 I had an enjoyable trip with Rob & Co stopping off at the F1 in Vernon, but I think Chris Tracey and myself got to Vernon about 4pm and could easily have carried on, but 2011 I did the whole lot in one day, which actually was fine. Thing to remember is that you're rolling off that particular ferry at 5am, so you've plenty of time to get down there without busting a gut. If I ride this year, I'll most likely do the same thing again.

Believe it or not I found the ride back on both occasions to be a rather relaxing wind down as well.
It is your holiday, after all :-)
Garry Broad

« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2015, 09:23:38 pm »
various members of the party crashed out in the main square of Les Andelys, while others of the party went up-market at a restaurant and pretended they weren't with us...
Oh dear, what a lot!
Being a tad on the pikey-side, I've used the supermarket in Les Andelys both times I've ridden down - then, while munching purchased grub, have both times seen Patrick Fields zip past on his RatCatcher.

It's a nice ride down.
Garry Broad

« Reply #14 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:47:49 am »
I think I might go for the return journey this time.  Saves the hassle with bikes on the Eurostar.  And there is always the option of a train to Dieppe if I feel too sore for it.

I'll have my tent with me

Are you camping down there?  If so, where?  I could only find those Huttopia sites.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:04:25 am »
^ I'm waiting to see if there's an official site in St Q - something will turn up...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:32:53 am »
I'm thinking I may take the ferry Thursday evening, as it's not even 200km from Dieppe to StQ by Google's reckoning, so the extra, slow day in France, while fun, would "cost" too much … I may let the train take the strain on the way back, though, given my distinct lack of legs after LEL.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:47:00 am »
I'll probably do the Thursday ferry as well - whilst I wish I could do the two-day thing, business is rather hectic and it looks like I've a project that will deploy in August (I won't miss PBP for it, just might require some rather long days in the build up to PBP).

It really isn't very far to Paris from Dieppe and can be done in a not too stressful day, especially as you are off the ferry at 5am or whatever it is. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:09:19 pm »
George and I are doing the Thursday night ferry with a Fleche de France to central Paris before wandering out to St Q.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #19 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:19:44 pm »
George and I are doing the Thursday night ferry with a Fleche de France to central Paris before wandering out to St Q.

Thats a good idea, I would like to do some of those one day. It's no problem doing them in reverse then ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 11 February, 2015, 05:01:54 pm »
Either way is fine but the routesheet is written for one direction only. You may also want to think about Relais and Diagonales.
http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/401%20-%20General%20Relais%20de%20France.html
http://cyclo-long-cours.fr/diagonales/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:00:23 pm »
I won't be joining those sailings. However a fellow velomobile rider and I are booked onto the Thursday night sailing, and back on the 18:00 one (Friday the 21st), please say hello if you see us.

Ian - orange one
John - red one

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2015, 09:43:25 pm »
Thanks for organising this Tomsk. Is there a camping option at Vernon?

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #23 on: 11 February, 2015, 09:46:34 pm »
+1 I would also like to join Tomsk and the Essex Peloton for the ride down and back. :thumbsup:

Will note those ferries to book later.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 12 February, 2015, 08:45:36 am »
Thanks for organising this Tomsk. Is there a camping option at Vernon?

Quick search shows nearest camping municipale is 35km from Vernon. I'll do some more research and see if other routes to/from Paris would work...meeting up again with non-campers for breakfast somewhere?