Author Topic: Hotel in Richmond, Surrey  (Read 4138 times)

Hotel in Richmond, Surrey
« on: 01 April, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »
Liz and I are going to be in Richmond for a night on 25th April.  Can anyone recommend any good hotels and places to eat around there?  Liz is going to an open day at the Institute for Optimum Heath in Lower Mortlake Road, so somewhere fairly close to that would be good.  We won't have any bikes nor car with us as we're flying down to Heathrow on Friday afternoon and flying back on Sat evening.

Any local knowledge would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone would like to meet us for a drink on the fri eveing, it would be good to meet some fellow forumers ;D

Thanks... Paul

Re: Hotel in Richmond, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »
If there's money to splash around then stay at the Petersham. (£170 for a double, £235 with a river view).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:21:02 pm »
If there's money to splash around then stay at the Petersham. (£170 for a double, £235 with a river view).

Hmmm, looks nice and double room available for £150.  We had looked at another place near this which was £110 pn but no breakfast and didn't look as nice as this place.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:39:50 pm »
Actually, we'll be bringing our Bromptons so we'll be able to get around ;D

Question - how do we get from T5 to Richmond?  We're just country bumpkins not used to big cities (well, we live in Glasgow ;D ;D)

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:45:46 pm »
Actually, we'll be bringing our Bromptons so we'll be able to get around ;D

Question - how do we get from T5 to Richmond?

Assuming you can get out of T5 to the west of Heathrow (it would be insanity if you couldn't) it's only a 3 mile cycle from there (down a fairly busy road) to Staines. From there you can get a train direct to Richmond in under 20 minutes.

If you don't want to cycle it then get a cab from T5 to Staines and get the train.

A black cab the whole way to Richmond would be about £20 to £25.

Cycling the whole way isn't that interesting unless you took a reasonable detour south and would be about 15 miles.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:55:01 am »
Damn, I'm going to be in Ireland for the CTC AGM on the 25th.  Otherwise I'd have come along to anything if there was an acf bash being organised.

I live just up the road in Ealing and if you want a cheapish place to stay, you could always look at the Travel lodge in Kew.  It's a ten minute pootle to Mortlake from there, past Kew Botanical Gardens - one of my favourite places.  Richmond's packed with good restaurants; you won't go hungry, that's for sure.

I think if I wanted to get from Heathrow to Richmond, I'd take the tube out to Hammersmith and change for the district line back to Richmond.   Don't try to cycle it unless you're very determined.  Pretty much any of the routes you could choose will be horrible.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 02:14:02 pm »
Hadn't even though of Travelodges  :-[

I'll have a look at that one - I guess that anywhere in the vicinity is close when you've got your B with you ;D

Any more suggestions welcome  ;) ;)

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:26:41 pm »
A second vote for Travelodges, basuc clean simple, and leaves more moolah for entertainment. After all silk wall hangings don't guarantee a better nights sleep!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2008, 08:26:50 pm »
And by bicycle, the journey from Richmond to the Travelodge at Kew is a very pleasant ride along the south side of the river.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:46:15 pm »
We got a good deal in the Holiday Inn Brentford Lock  £89 DBB room rate ;D

Booked BA using airmiles, so cheap flying visit ;)

Just hope all the hasstle with T5 at Heathrow is sorted by then.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Paul

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2008, 12:02:41 am »
As well as having a lap of Richmond Park on your Brommies, if you're staying in Brentford, you must pop into Syon Park.  I ride home from work through there quite a lot and it's ver' pretty  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2008, 12:28:54 am »
As well as having a lap of Richmond Park on your Brommies, if you're staying in Brentford, you must pop into Syon Park.  I ride home from work through there quite a lot and it's ver' pretty  :)

Will do  ;)

Enjoy the your weekend.

Paul

Zipperhead

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:23:14 pm »
I'm up for a drink that evening (I don't think I've got anything on). Perhaps meet up in the park, enjoy a lap and then a drink at the top of the hill enjoying the sunset.

I can't come by Brompton 'cause mine is going traveliing without me.

« Reply #13 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:05:22 am »
Sorry Zip, change of plans  :-\

We've booked to go see Joseph on Friday night, so won't be able to meet for drinks.

Next time?

Paul

Zipperhead

« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:58:42 pm »
Sure.

Make the most of the tourist opportunities that are close by.