Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165152 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4975 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:05:35 pm »
^ I saw a  sign locally " Grow your own plots available to rent".   I guess they really meant allotments.
Maybe they're privately owned plots, in which case they're not allotments.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4976 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:07:34 pm »
And if you can grow them yourself, why would you rent one?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4977 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »
Gotta tax rebate!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  216 English Quids!!   ;D ;D

Mind you, it's from 2009-2010. I reckon if I'd owed them £216 for 3 years they'd have had ne hung, drawn and quartered with interest on top.   >:(
The buggers owe me £200 from last year's bonus, which they partly taxed at 40% although I'll be under the HRT limit for the fiscal year.  Chances of getting it without asking?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4978 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
Last year I got a tax rebate without asking for it. I was owed it and was expecting to claim it when I got back from whenever we ended up but HMRC just sent me a rebate at the end of the tax year.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4979 on: 05 April, 2012, 07:40:04 am »
NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #4980 on: 05 April, 2012, 10:55:10 pm »
NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS NO SLEEPS
No sleeps 'til the insomniacs convention?     :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

LindaG

« Reply #4981 on: 06 April, 2012, 11:59:58 am »
No sleeps 'til the insomniacs convention?     :-\

No sleeps till Bobb goes to see her.

Awww.   :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4982 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:08:25 pm »
Just booked a couple of nights away in Dublin next week for me and the missus. Yay!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4983 on: 07 April, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »
During this mornings ride I crossed paths with my next door neighbour who told me that he was returning from a ride organised by the bike shop in Uttoxeter.
It appears that this is a recent innovation.
Meet at the shop 0900 for tea & toast.Riding starts at 0930 & back approx 1230 to 1300hrs.
More t&t if desired at the finish
1 route: two groups (fast & notsofast) with the difference manifesting itself in the duration of the cake stop.

I'm going to give this a try

I've just spoken to the bloke who organises this & commited to tomorrow morning's ride.

In the last few weeks I have gone from living in a seemingly cycling-free zone to having the opportunity to ride with a group twice a week.
 :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4984 on: 07 April, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Easter is a time for new life. This morning one of my most olderest and besterest friends became a grandfather.

He's only one year older than me and has been saying for the past few years nine months that he's too young to become a grandfather, but he seems to have changed his mind now!  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4985 on: 07 April, 2012, 05:58:24 pm »
My beloved motorbike is finally taxed, insured, and full of petrol.

She's not quite running on song just yet, but passable enough to ride around until I can get her to a mechanic for some professional fettling.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4986 on: 07 April, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »
My son's new Islabike has arrived which means he's regained his cycling mojo!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4987 on: 07 April, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »

Yay.

:D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4988 on: 07 April, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »

Yay.

:D

Means I get to ride every day :). Made a bad choice with his Christmas present and bought him a gas pipe BSO which is heavier than some of my bikes ??? The gear shift was also to stiff for him. Lesson learnt.

« Reply #4989 on: 07 April, 2012, 07:27:07 pm »
^ I saw a  sign locally " Grow your own plots available to rent".   I guess they really meant allotments.
Maybe they're privately owned plots, in which case they're not allotments.

So obvious really once it's been pointed out.  Thanks.  Yes the plots are attached to a commecial garden centre.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4990 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:09:33 pm »
Despite broken wrists etc a certain someone conspired to get a rather spiffing present to me via audax express today....

T'is indeed most frabjous, thank you  :-*

Although it was pointed out that it had done a 400 to get to me and that therefore to enter into the spirit of the thing I should not use it until it had properly qualified by also completing a 200, a 300, and a 600....

« Reply #4991 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »
She's a good'un, isn't she?

LindaG

« Reply #4992 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »
 ;D

She has class.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4993 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:19:50 pm »
She certainly does.....in common with several ladies of this parish :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4994 on: 11 April, 2012, 10:22:32 am »
Hurrah!

Dear Ms Lion

Thank you for your telephone call of 8 April 2012 and subsequent email.  I am sorry that you have had cause to complain.

Scotrail are committed to taking every aspect of customer services very seriously, and I was concerned to learn of the circumstances that have prompted you to contact me.

As you are aware, your sleeper service between Edinburgh and Fort William was cancelled due to an earlier mechanical fault at Spean Bridge.  Your service was replaced by a daytime sprinter service, and I note that your journey was not the pleasant experience it should have been.  Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you were caused.  I have logged your comments for the attention of the appropriate managers for use during our regular reviews.

In view of the circumstances, I have requested that our Finance department forward you a cheque to the value of £78.00.  This will arrive under separate cover and may take yp to 28 days.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with the level of service provided by members of our staff of Scotrail.  We have set ourselves high standards and I am glad that there have met with your expectations.  I wil ensure that your comments are passed to the manager for the staff members concerned.

Thank you for taking the time to call

Yours sincerely

That'd be a refund, in full, for both tickets, in actual money not vouchers.  Thank you Derek in customer services for a job well done :)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4995 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »
Ryan at Oak Cycles has managed to restore my bent Gazelle frame to (almost) good as new.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #4996 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »
Ryan at Oak Cycles has managed to restore my bent Gazelle frame to (almost) good as new.
You have posted this in the good news thread.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4997 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:47:51 pm »
Hah!  And while I was fixedless, I finished building another bike which is not only fixed but lilac.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4998 on: 13 April, 2012, 11:07:20 pm »
Hah!  And while I was fixedless, I finished building another bike which is not only fixed but lilac.
TTIUWP
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4999 on: 13 April, 2012, 11:10:46 pm »
I timed myself over 25 miles this evening, for the first time in ooh, four or five years.  Conditions were okay but not magnificent.  Since I didn't have much idea how hard to push myself, I was quite conservative for three quarters of it, only cranking up the pace towards the end.  Still, I did 1h07m.

That means that in three weekends' time, on the BUCS 25, where I:

will have more experience  and so know how hard to push myself (I'm also racing another between now and then, providing I make the cut)
will gain the extra few minutes that you get from the magic number stuck on your back
will be skinsuited and with lower handlebars
will be on a faster course

... I should be able to do rather nicely.  :)