Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165640 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5375 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »
A while ago I bought a bike from Snail on here.  Torslanda very kindly went to collect it (and gave it a bit of a tidy up ready for a new owner too!), Tiermat transported back to the right (as opposed to left, natch) side of Those Hills and stored it for a bit until Deano picked it up and brought it on a train to York one day.  Today I rode it across town to its new owner, a friend of mine not OTP, who hasn't ridden for years, was very happy with her purchase and is hoping to do her school run and commute by bike.  Hurray for forum collaboration, and fingers crossed for a happy new cyclist on the road!

« Reply #5376 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:21:52 pm »
starting a new job tomorrow, 36 mile round-trip commute starts the day after...
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5377 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:25:56 pm »
A while ago I bought a bike from Snail on here.  Torslanda very kindly went to collect it (and gave it a bit of a tidy up ready for a new owner too!), Tiermat transported back to the right (as opposed to left, natch) side of Those Hills and stored it for a bit until Deano picked it up and brought it on a train to York one day.  Today I rode it across town to its new owner, a friend of mine not OTP, who hasn't ridden for years, was very happy with her purchase and is hoping to do her school run and commute by bike.  Hurray for forum collaboration, and fingers crossed for a happy new cyclist on the road!

\o/, slow but sure footed :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5378 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:49:50 pm »
Just fabulous!
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5379 on: 22 August, 2012, 07:04:15 am »

Congrats on the job & the commute

CrinklyLion

« Reply #5380 on: 22 August, 2012, 07:56:55 am »

Congrats on the job & the commute

+1 Hope you have a good first day :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5381 on: 22 August, 2012, 01:46:36 pm »
Barakta's going to come out for a bike ride, for the first time in a couple of months.  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5382 on: 22 August, 2012, 02:10:19 pm »
Barakta's going to come out for a bike ride, for the first time in a couple of months.  :thumbsup:
Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

Warning.  It's bloody humid and sweaty out there.  There'll be a fight for getting the first shower.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5383 on: 22 August, 2012, 08:52:18 pm »
Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

Warning.  It's bloody humid and sweaty out there.  There'll be a fight for getting the first shower.

Fortunately(!) the first shower happened as we reached the summit of Primrose Hill.  It then continued to levels that made a complete mockery of my "the forecast's dry with cloud, and there's nothing of any consequence on the rainfall radar" just before we left.  I should really know better, I'm reaching Ian McCaskill like levels of reliability.

Having got thoroughly drenched, barakta decided to invoke Rule 9, and we continued the planned ride.  It stopped raining after a while, and we started to dry off.  Then we discovered "Road Closed" signs, warning that the top-dressing fairy had got to a substantial part of our route.  We ignored them, and plodded through the swathes of fresh gravel for a couple of km.  Barakta had wheelspin issues as the road turned upwards, but managed okay.  I succeeded in not falling off, no thanks to the bit of gravel that got caught in my sandal.

After stopping for a rest/food break, it started to spit again.  Fortunately it never got stronger than moderate drizzle.  Barakta needed the loo, but we were plodding slowly upwards through endless Wythall with no inspectable hedges to be found.

After negotiating Gay Hill (with adverse sunlight on wet glasses in barakta's case), I discovered things were a bit squirrely on a tight corner.  It was a front wheel visitation.  Fortunately it had stopped raining, so I took my time and did the job properly.  One hole, two pieces of glass, and a sidewall that's looking a bit worse for wear.  It may be new tyre time.  Still, the fettling stop gave barakta's legs a break, and we made good progress up Lifford Lane and down the Pershore Road to home.

36km now logged for August.   :thumbsup:

ETA: I posted this to the wrong thread, really, didn't I?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5384 on: 22 August, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »
Ah, Ian McCaskill! The coiner, during the cold spell of January 1987, of the phrase "Don't be fooled by that warm front - it's about as warm as a polar bear's packed lunch!"

Will we ever see his like again?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5385 on: 22 August, 2012, 09:22:27 pm »
I think he still pops up from time to time (although retired). I'm pretty certain I saw him on the Kent weather when I visited my sister in December
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5386 on: 22 August, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
They certainly have Michael Fish down there.  I know this because Kaddy Lee-Preston, their self-proclaimed "weather bird" (who also happens to be a credible cyclist), has something of a cult following on an IRC channel for ex-UKC types that I frequent.  In order to see what all the fuss was about, I spent a non-trivial amount of effort jibbling about in the database of my MythTV box so that it would receive Kentish BBC1, with the inevitable result that Kaddy was on holiday and Michael Fish was doing the job instead...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5387 on: 22 August, 2012, 09:31:48 pm »
It may have been Fish actually. I'm really not sure now. I know I was surprised to see him whoever it was.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5388 on: 25 August, 2012, 05:43:00 pm »
For the past few months I have been increasingly plagued by karaoke noise from the pub in the next block. It's council policy that residents should never be disturbed by amplified music from a licensed premises and the council has a dedicated team to deal with it. I've had to call the team several times in the past few months when the karaoke version of Mack the Knife gets too awful to bear, and they've always come out promptly and tried to help. The bloke I've had the most contact with has just rung me to say that the locks were changed on Monday which explains this post http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2177.13935 and that new licensees take over Monday coming. He's not allowed to tell me what's happened, but he did say their team have been working with the pub co and have been instrumental in the change of licensee.

The even better news is that the couple who are taking it over are the couple who currently have Diggers which is generally regarded as one of the best pubs in Edinburgh. It's a proper beer pub, with a much better quality of clientele than the Friday night karaoke attracts. The guy from the noise team says they might have some folk music but there won't be any amplified music and there won't be any karaoke, and they're hoping to turn it into a proper decent local, maybe even attract some of the fuzz from the local polis station away from The Maltings, which should get rid of the Friday night street yellers. I'm delighted.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5389 on: 25 August, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »
For the past few months I have been increasingly plagued by karaoke noise from the pub in the next block. It's council policy that residents should never be disturbed by amplified music from a licensed premises and the council has a dedicated team to deal with it. I've had to call the team several times in the past few months when the karaoke version of Mack the Knife gets too awful to bear, and they've always come out promptly and tried to help. The bloke I've had the most contact with has just rung me to say that the locks were changed on Monday which explains this post http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2177.13935 and that new licensees take over Monday coming. He's not allowed to tell me what's happened, but he did say their team have been working with the pub co and have been instrumental in the change of licensee.

:thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5390 on: 25 August, 2012, 05:54:00 pm »
That is most excellent news.  You've won a proper local
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5391 on: 25 August, 2012, 06:06:09 pm »
I don't really care. I'm not much of a pub person to be honest. I just want to be able to watch telly and skype Bobb without having Mack the sodding Knife drowning everything else out.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LindaG

« Reply #5392 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:17:53 am »
I have DAB in my bedroom. I need never get up again  :smug:

« Reply #5393 on: 29 August, 2012, 11:04:44 pm »
one more day at work, Friday I pack and then it is the sleeper to Glasgow and on to Oban and Mull, before continuing on to Skye, Harris and Lewis. A total of three weeks with the bike and not having to worry about a bunch of Saudi Clients who want the impossible and believe their money can purchase it.  :smug:

« Reply #5394 on: 29 August, 2012, 11:06:01 pm »
3 more nights of slavery then off to Brittany with the trikes, good food good wine and my wife, tres bon  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5395 on: 30 August, 2012, 07:04:46 am »
Completed on our new house yesterday, just need to find a new LBS. oh, and unpack!

(We don't actually move in until next week, but it's a start)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5396 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:35:00 pm »
I'm a Great uncle! I was always pretty good but now I'm great  :)
My Nephew & his lovely girlfriend now have 2 beautiful baby boys Jacob Anthony & Thomas Paul  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5397 on: 04 September, 2012, 03:12:14 pm »
Congrats Fungus!

I'm a great uncle 4 times over but I can't say that it's changed my life.

Now being a grandparent - that's different! Being a grandparent means that I get woken up at unearthly hours (about 8 a.m. or earlier) because Martha wants to speak to Grand-dad Peter. Utter bollocks, of course: it's my daughter wanting to share something that Martha has done, or asking about something that I inevitably can't remember about her & her siblings childhoods, or just moaning that Martha has reverted to waking up at 5 a.m.

Mrs. Wow normally sleeps through this unless my daughter's call coincides with bowel o'clock.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #5398 on: 04 September, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »
Bit of a collaborative effort.... early birthday present!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5399 on: 04 September, 2012, 06:57:03 pm »
Cor, that looks suspiciously like it might have working brakes and a circular front wheel and everyfink!

Your LBS has a parking meter?  That's even better than the D-Tek "upwrongs will be clamped" signs.   :D