Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165590 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3225 on: 22 January, 2011, 12:31:58 am »
I've never worked in the NHS before so its a great opportunity to get into that sector, as normally to get into library roles you have to have experience of working in there already.
My wife used to work as a librarian in a Postgraduate Medical Institute within the NHS (some years ago now) and thoroughly enjoyed it. She also used the experience as a stepping stone to move into academic libraries where she's moved a lot further (at least professionally and in terms of job enjoyment) than she would have done if she had stayed in the public library environment.

It's amazing how you can write up NHS experience any way you want within a CV...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3226 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:32:43 am »

I got the job!  :)

I had a lovely interview with two of the managers there (its at the Royal London Hospital Integrated Medicine)

Congrats and all that - that's the old Homeopathic in Queens Square, isn't it? They'd made up their mind by High Holborn? All of three minutes, all the more impressive.

(Oh, and don't forget to check out Cosmo China in Cosmo place ;-) )

Bless you, it is! They had tried to stop me, via security guard, on the way out, but I had changed super ninja like and had evaded notice! I am so going to check out Cosmo China (although am not sure what that is  :-[)

Cosmo China:

Run by Josie Firmin, the daughter of Peter Firmin, he of  The Saga of Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Clangers, Bagpuss and Pogles' Wood amongst others

Thanks Ham, what lovely ceramics!  What a creative family. I went to the Institute of Archaeology for my undergraduate degree so I know the area quite well, but I never truly explored it as well as I should have done.  :-[

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3227 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:38:39 am »
I've never worked in the NHS before so its a great opportunity to get into that sector, as normally to get into library roles you have to have experience of working in there already.
My wife used to work as a librarian in a Postgraduate Medical Institute within the NHS (some years ago now) and thoroughly enjoyed it. She also used the experience as a stepping stone to move into academic libraries where she's moved a lot further (at least professionally and in terms of job enjoyment) than she would have done if she had stayed in the public library environment.

It's amazing how you can write up NHS experience any way you want within a CV...

That is very useful to know, thanks for that! University programmes now do specific Healthcare Librarian Masters, so it does reflect the fact that there is a lot of potential work there for librarians.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3228 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:46:53 am »
We have made the executive decision that from June, we will apply n+1 to our number of dogs. We could start earlier but decided that it would be better to get our two hols (early April and late May/early June) out the way first so that we can all devote lots of time to the critter.

We will probably go down the spanielly route.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3229 on: 22 January, 2011, 06:01:17 pm »
We have made the executive decision that from June, we will apply n+1 to our number of dogs. We could start earlier but decided that it would be better to get our two hols (early April and late May/early June) out the way first so that we can all devote lots of time to the critter.

We will probably go down the spanielly route.

You do realise that down the spanielly route can lie quite a mad critter?  ;D

Google is the one in the middle with his litter mates, even then he was the daftest looking!

Chris S

« Reply #3230 on: 22 January, 2011, 06:28:23 pm »
Spaniels are great. They are always infeasibly happy - even when they don't know why (which is most of the time) :).

« Reply #3231 on: 22 January, 2011, 06:31:04 pm »
It's guaranteed to make me smile, if I see a spaniel lolloping along with one ear inside out. ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3232 on: 22 January, 2011, 07:01:45 pm »
Everyone said we were bonkers to get a red setter, but he's a fantastic dog. I quite like the thought of a Welsh Springer.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3233 on: 22 January, 2011, 07:57:56 pm »
I have found my 16 & 17t sprockets.Plus a 15t sprocket I had forgotten that own :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3234 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »
I'm putting this here because I really don't know where it ought to go but this seems as good a place as any.

Last week my daughter had a meeting with Hazel Blears and found her to be very pleasant.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3235 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »
Yay for H_W! :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #3236 on: 23 January, 2011, 01:17:06 pm »
They always seem to have one eye on the pot and one on the chimney (in the nicest possible way), never, ever get an Afghan Hound, they are genuinely insane, we met anoth AH owner while walking ours and asked advice "Oh, don't worry" he said "they usually calm down around five years old"
                                         :o
Spaniels are great. They are always infeasibly happy - even when they don't know why (which is most of the time) :).
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3237 on: 23 January, 2011, 04:37:02 pm »
Car passed it's MOT retest. I'm still going to sort my bicycle out for riding in tomorrow but it's nice to have the car as an option for when I'm ill/need to be home early.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3238 on: 23 January, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »
I am drinking beer.

It's my first alcohol for 8 days. There is no substitute for beer.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3239 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:07:09 am »
I am drinking beer.

It's my first alcohol for 8 days. There is no substitute for beer.

I beg to differ.

Ale is an adequate substitute.  So is decent cider.

As is lager, but only if it's decent lager that's actually been lagered and not he muck sold in British pubs (which has less right to be called "lager" than Dairy Milk has to be called "chocolate").

EDIT: I've conned more than one "lager-hating CAMRA member" into admitting that they enjoy lager by feeding them the Meantime Brewery's Vienna Lager.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3240 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:13:25 am »
I almost typed "ale" instead of beer. It was bottled London Pride. Which is that?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3241 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:25:14 am »
I found my knickers.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Chris S

« Reply #3242 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:29:11 am »
I found my knickers.

Were they anywhere interesting?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3243 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:40:44 am »
:( Didn't know there was an opportunity to search... :(
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3244 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
I found my knickers.

Yes, where were they? I bet you are mighty chuffed that you've found them!

« Reply #3245 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:14:31 pm »
That comment is a show stopper, the sort of thing whispered quietly in a pub with loud music and a fight about to start will absolutely stop everthing.
                                                  ;)
I found my knickers.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3246 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »
I almost typed "ale" instead of beer. It was bottled London Pride. Which is that?
Both are generic terms for the same thing, but from different languages. Ale is Norse, beer is Germanic. London Pride is therefore both beer & ale.

Beer (but not ale) has a legal definition in England & Wales (I'm not sure about Scotland), which specifies a minimum alcohol content. Therefore one can label commercial products as low alcohol (or alcohol-free) lager or ale, but not beer.

In modern English usage (but not for the Scandinavian cognates for 'ale), 'ale' excludes lager (pilsner, whatever you want to call it).

Any other differentiation between the meaning of 'beer' & 'ale' is made up by pretentious twats.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3247 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »
My new log baskets have arrived courtesy of Ted Bruce Baskets

Excellent service and product. My lounge is filled with the smell of fresh willow, lovingly crafted into functional and attractive form. Ted wove to order as his standard baskets were just a bit too big to fit the space I had. Nice to support sustainable British crafts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3248 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:57:39 pm »
I found my knickers.

Yes, where were they? I bet you are mighty chuffed that you've found them!

Shouldn't that be "mightily chuffed"? It's a bit personal, though, isn't it?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3249 on: 24 January, 2011, 04:50:22 pm »
I found my knickers.

In your and bag?

Oh sorry, you don't live in Brum, do you?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.