Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164773 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3875 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »
Cor, barakta just managed to get through to Kevin of D-Tek using Typetalk!

ETA: They appear to be talking cutlery.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3876 on: 18 May, 2011, 03:03:15 pm »
I made a nominally-zero-minute connection at Mordor Central.  And it wasn't an adjacent platform.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3877 on: 18 May, 2011, 05:11:43 pm »
Cor, barakta just managed to get through to Kevin of D-Tek using Typetalk!

ETA: They appear to be talking cutlery.

He came into a discussion mrs. jogler & I had earlier today.My Boss maintains a wish to have her Trice retrospectively modified with the current rear triangle folding trick & an electric motor drive fitted to the rear wheel.
That smooth talking Kevin reckons he can do these things.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3878 on: 18 May, 2011, 05:40:26 pm »
Retrofitting the folding rear triangle to an older version with a narrower frame (we have front door issues) was something we discussed at length, but the economics of doing so vs a new model (and associated HTFUing and lifting it through the doorway sideways) are marginal if you're not having to pay the VAT.  It would seem to be a pretty attractive option if you've already got one, though.

Be sure to ask him about spork'n'shift and the hydraulic whisk brakes options ;)

JJ

« Reply #3879 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:41:20 pm »
My mill just needs a new fuse and not a complete motor.

Your mother in law is motorized?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3880 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:03:15 pm »
My mill just needs a new fuse and not a complete motor.

Your mother in law is motorized?

I'm planning to go green and have mine electrified.

I think that's the word.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3881 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:09:07 pm »
The car required nothing for its MOT!!!!   :thumbsup: ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3882 on: 19 May, 2011, 03:31:10 pm »
Enigma (Mark) say they'll definitely have my frame back to Hewitt's next week  ::-)

« Reply #3883 on: 19 May, 2011, 03:41:30 pm »

One of the few memories I have of my childhood was a builder letting me sit in the cab of a JCB and telling me what the buttons and levers were for :thumbsup:

I have a similar childhood memory when I was allowed to sit in the cab of an Esso fuel tanker (a Leyland Beaver with the 5-speed + splitter semi-auto gearbox for those who are interested. Just me then.......) while it unloaded at the local petrol station. The keys were in  :o and the driver was round the side watching the gauges. No comment was made at the regular "phhhssschings" as I changed gear. I only stopped when the low air buzzer came on 'cos I'd used it all.
When it was time for him to leave, the driver let me start the engine and rev it to build up the air pressure again.

I bet you wouldn't be allowed to do that these days.
Which is probably a good thing  ;)

« Reply #3884 on: 19 May, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »

I have a similar childhood memory when I was allowed to sit in the cab of an Esso fuel tanker (a Leyland Beaver with the 5-speed + splitter semi-auto gearbox for those who are interested. Just me then.......) while it unloaded at the local petrol station. The keys were in  :o and the driver was round the side watching the gauges. No comment was made at the regular "phhhssschings" as I changed gear.

When I worked for Company of Cyclists, we had an ex mobile library as a van, and two of my colleagues were talking about driving it once, and said you know when you're properly grown up, when you're driving something that goes "phhhssschings" when you put the brakes on.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #3885 on: 20 May, 2011, 01:41:03 am »

When I worked for Company of Cyclists, we had an ex mobile library as a van, and two of my colleagues were talking about driving it once, and said you know when you're properly grown up, when you're driving something that goes "phhhssschings" when you put the brakes on.

Yebbut this thing did it when I moved the gear "lever"  :D.

I'm not sure that my legs were long enough to reach the brake pedal when I was sat on the driver's seat.
I had to perch on the edge of it to rev the engine  ;D .

BTW, if anyone wants a photocopy of the data sheet for this type of truck, let me know. I bought one off Ebay last year  ::-)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3886 on: 20 May, 2011, 07:29:04 am »
...you know when you're properly grown up, when you're driving something that goes "phhhssschings" when you put the brakes on.

But you also know that a little bit of you never has grown up, and hopefully never will, because that part of you still thinks that making the brakes go "phhhssschings" is completely cool?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3887 on: 20 May, 2011, 08:51:58 am »
today will NOT be a POETS day.
It qualifies as good news because I have work to do which will occuppy my time :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3888 on: 20 May, 2011, 09:58:09 am »
That's a novelty.  And I hope it's a trend (though not to the detriment of your cycling, natch) :thumbsup:
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3889 on: 20 May, 2011, 11:32:55 am »
More good news...I have a copy of the current edition of "Cycling World"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3890 on: 20 May, 2011, 11:43:41 am »
Ah yes, we found a copy in the Weymouth WH Smiths, after quite a drought.  Thinking of renewing subscription.
Getting there...

« Reply #3891 on: 20 May, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »
...you know when you're properly grown up, when you're driving something that goes "phhhssschings" when you put the brakes on.

But you also know that a little bit of you never has grown up, and hopefully never will, because that part of you still thinks that making the brakes go "phhhssschings" is completely cool?

Oh yes, absolutely!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3892 on: 21 May, 2011, 11:54:40 am »
More good news...I have a copy of the current edition of "Cycling World"
Me too! I like the article about riding along the canal and the "interview" with Arthur Lock, but wasn't so impressed with the technical article. I like the magazine, but I do wonder if liking it isn't a sign of getting old!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3893 on: 21 May, 2011, 01:15:46 pm »
I've just received notification from the council that I've been awarded Council Tax Benefit. Yay!

The only thing is that I haven't provided them with the long, long list of proofs & evidence & they seem to have awarded it anyway. I'll still take the paperwork in just in case, but if it's not needed, I shall be a little peeved, as it took a lot of phone calls & drudgery to get hold of it all.

£29/week is, upon reflection, not a lot to pay for all the things the council provides and we take for granted. <£5/week for each member of our household.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3894 on: 21 May, 2011, 02:00:27 pm »
Ah yes, we found a copy in the Weymouth WH Smiths, after quite a drought.  Thinking of renewing subscription.

I'd buy it when you see it, not subscribe... AIUI the publisher is in liquidation ... sounds like a risk of losing your money (that's if the receiver even takes it)    Beware - the mag and its stable-mates has had a poor history of publishing on time, if at all.

Shame 'cos it used to be a nice mag

Rob

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3895 on: 21 May, 2011, 02:26:08 pm »
TLD passed her level 7 (goes 8 > 1) Gymnastics yesterday, which is good, as we didn't even realise she was put in for it!

And next term she starts Grade 1 (goes 1 upwards) ballet.  This we did know about as she was the only one out of her class chosen earlier this year to do it....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3896 on: 21 May, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »
Yay - go TLD! 

« Reply #3897 on: 21 May, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »
I've just received the details of a job I'd really love to do!

It's not that well-paid, initially at least, and it's further away than I'd prefer, but heading away from big town traffic, not into it and on a good day commutable.

I shall take a lot of time over my application for this one!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3898 on: 21 May, 2011, 04:14:13 pm »

I'd buy it when you see it, not subscribe... AIUI the publisher is in liquidation ... sounds like a risk of losing your money (that's if the receiver even takes it)    Beware - the mag and its stable-mates has had a poor history of publishing on time, if at all.

Shame 'cos it used to be a nice mag

Rob

AIUI subscriptions should be kept separately ring-fenced and only drawn down as and when required for each issue.   I believe this is one of those things where regulation has strengthened post Farepak.   Of course, there is no guarantee that the publisher complies... 

« Reply #3899 on: 22 May, 2011, 12:51:15 pm »
my back wheel was making some odd noises yesterday and even worse this morning, and I'm doing JOGLE in 3 weeks, so I took it along to my LBS to drop it off for some TLC.

He took it apart there & then, replaced one set of bearings and greased the rest, put it all back together and  - the best bit - refused to take any money for it!   So I bought him & his mate some coffee & cake from the cafe next door to say thanks.