Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: friday by the fireside
« Last post by SoreTween on Today at 07:59:59 am »
Can you not sit ‘back to front’ as if riding your bike, and thus grab the cistern manfully with your hands, whilst whistling ‘ she’ll be going down the bend, when she comes’
Now that's exactly the kind of top practical problem solving advice I come here for  :thumbsup:  Regrettably, it is a compact pan for a compact bathroom.  I have just seated myself in the suggested manner and find that in order for my aim to be true I would need to knock knee holes in the wall.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by nobby on Today at 07:54:05 am »
Drilled and tapped the rear pivot tube of my Moulton APB and fitted a grease nipple.
Replaced the pivot bolt with a filed down button head screw of 10.9 hardness, fitted it with Nord Lock washers and torqued to 29Nm.
Pumped it full off MS3 grease and was very pleased with the crinkly pattern that oozed from between the Nord Locks.
Where The Wild Things Are / Re: Seen today
« Last post by nobby on Today at 07:45:24 am »
Yesterday I saw a rat in my garden chasing a Magpie.
The Magpie hadn't got enough space to get airborne and was leaping about 30cm into the air and going in circles with the rat running behind it.
It stopped when I banged the window and the rat ran away leaving the magpie space to fly off. Is this normal behaviour for a rat?
« Last post by Blodwyn Pig on Today at 07:42:19 am »
Dear Finestre,

The WC in my accommodation has the delightful design feature of the u-bend right at the front of the pan. Thus all 'output' rather than dropping into the water drops onto the porcelain downslope from whence all odours can arise maximally.  Add to this an 'eco' cistern containing a tiny, tiny fraction of the water required to get the job done. 
First flush doesn't do much.  By the 4th flush the major items are heading towards the bowl. Around the 8th flush the downslope is clear enough one can bear to brush it provided you are careful to keep the brush out of the bowl. Flushes 9 through 12 rinse out the brush a bit.  By flush 16 the poo soup is thinning.  If flush 20 still hasn't brought the bottom of the bowl into view I usually fill the waste basket with water hoping like mad today's liner doesn't have more holes than the tap can exceed.  It's not a large wate basket, certainly not as large as a decent thunderflush but that usually brings clarity to the situation.
Is this materpiece of sanitaryware your work?  If not, can you suggest what should be done to/with the designer?

Can you not sit ‘back to front’ as if riding your bike, and thus grab the cistern manfully with your hands, whilst whistling ‘ she’ll be going down the bend, when she comes’
« Last post by SoreTween on Today at 07:37:06 am »
Dear Finestre,

The WC in my accommodation has the delightful design feature of the u-bend right at the front of the pan. Thus all 'output' rather than dropping into the water drops onto the porcelain downslope from whence all odours can arise maximally.  Add to this an 'eco' cistern containing a tiny, tiny fraction of the water required to get the job done. 

First flush doesn't do much.  By the 4th flush the major items are heading towards the bowl. Around the 8th flush the downslope is clear enough one can bear to brush it provided you are careful to keep the brush out of the bowl. Flushes 9 through 12 rinse out the brush a bit.  By flush 16 the poo soup is thinning.  If flush 20 still hasn't brought the bottom of the bowl into view I usually fill the waste basket with water hoping like mad today's liner doesn't have more holes than the tap can exceed.  It's not a large waste basket, certainly not as large as a decent thunderflush but that usually brings clarity to the situation.

Is this materpiece of sanitaryware your work?  If not, can you suggest what should be done to/with the designer?
Caption It / Caption it #1884
« Last post by road-runner on Today at 05:47:49 am »
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket Championship 2021
« Last post by Peter on Today at 12:45:44 am »
Suddenly Essex seem to have become quite mediocre. That the second time in a few weeks they've been all out in double figures.

Don't give up: if I remember correctly (which is by no means certain), the first time, they ended up beating Durham,
The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 12:18:06 am »

Package arrived from the states with a pair of Suizan folding japanese saws. One is a Dozuki dovetail saw, and the other is a Ryoba. They are very nice. Obviously haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they feel lovely in the hand. Nicely balanced.

J
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket Championship 2021
« Last post by Wowbagger on Yesterday at 11:20:33 pm »
Suddenly Essex seem to have become quite mediocre. That the second time in a few weeks they've been all out in double figures.

In their first innings, Extras was 3rd top scorer with 9. Browne seems pretty good, having scored exactly alf of Essex 228 runs to date, and he's still there in the second innings. Shame he didn't carry his bat in the first.

As you say, teh rain has heled them. They might be able to hold on or a draw.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10