Author Topic: Winter Boat Ride 19.2.22  (Read 2263 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
Winter Boat Ride 19.2.22
« on: 07 February, 2022, 01:29:20 pm »
Riding in company and no cathedrals there's a novelty!

Only done this as a DIY before didn't get to the canal place

anyone else?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Winter Boat Ride 19.2.22
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2022, 04:45:59 pm »
Riding this, hopefully quicker than last time, when it took me nearly ten hours riding time. Enjoyed lunch at the boat.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2022, 01:42:09 pm »
Me too.

I'll be there on a blue Elan - with a passpixi sticker on my rack bag. Say hello as you overtake!

2nd calendar event - I really want to finish this one!

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2022, 07:20:30 pm »
Should be interesting to discover which roads are still open on Sat AM...

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2022, 11:42:01 am »
What are the odds of weather cancelling this?

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2022, 12:21:33 pm »
I suspect the roads will be in a right state. Just booked Chiltern Grit next weekend as an alternative.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2022, 12:52:27 pm »
I suspect the roads will be in a right state. Just booked Chiltern Grit next weekend as an alternative.
I hadn't considered this. I was thinking wind on Saturday doesn't look too bad. It will be wet but that's no reason to cancel. There is a possibility of blocked roads I suppose, but it's rare not to be able to get past with a bike.

GdS

« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2022, 01:29:28 pm »
I've managed to dodge rain on 5 200s since late October so I'm due some, will make a change from having to turn the bike upside down and scrape the skog TM off the mudguards

see y'all tomorrow

« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2022, 01:36:53 pm »
I've put the 35mm tyres back on the Elan so I can ride over fallen trees  ;D

See you all tomorrow.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:58:10 am »
A fine morning after the day before saw 70 on the road. Looking out the window I see normal February service is resuming. 😎

« Reply #10 on: 20 February, 2022, 08:14:07 am »
It was a fine ride - thanks for organising.

I loved the roads north of Winslow - rural, empty, rolling that stretched into the distance. I would climb a rise, see the roads stretch away before me, feel the push of wind on my back and soft pedal at effortless speed to the next rise - it was great.

We definitely had our share of February weather - it was cold in the morning, very wet from lunch time, and windy all day. There were lots of fallen trees after storm Eunice some of which blocked the roads. There were lots of flooded roads from the constant rain, and those that weren't had rivers of water most of the afternoon and evening.

But the waterproof gear mostly worked, the mudguards kept most of the water off, and the food controls were perfectly placed to get off the bike, warm up and get ready to go again. I even had the foresight to bring another set of dry gloves!

I am really glad I put 35mm tyres on - storm Eunice detritus gave other riders a lot of punctures

This might come across as a bit of an ordeal - but it really wasn't: I love the countryside of the Aylesbury vale into Bedford. So there were always cracking views to enjoy. It was nice to spend time with other riders as you naturally join up and split on a long ride. And I have to say a big thanks to Ivor on his single speed. He helped set my pace early on which to a large extent ensured I got around.

It was a great day out on the bike - with the best highlight of all, seeing a hunting owl in my head light as three of us swooped through the dark Chiltern lanes with only 25km to go.

« Reply #11 on: 20 February, 2022, 08:38:09 am »
I found that hard. Easy rolling until Quainton when the rain started. Made the correct clothing choices so was never too cold in the wet, but it was a bit of a slog. The Boat was a very welcome sight as was the fire in the snug. Thanks again to Richard at the control who sorted out my slipping seatpost, it held all the way back if you are reading this. Not too keen on the lanes in the dark after Tring tbh. I too had pleasing ornithological encounters, with plenty of kites, buzzard, a kestrel and I think what might have been a hobby.

« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2022, 10:40:57 am »
Thanks again to Richard at the control who sorted out my slipping seatpost, it held all the way back,,,
What was your bodge? Torn-off piece of beer can inside the seatpost clamp, or a sliver of a toothpaste tube inside the seat tube? Jubilee clip?

« Reply #13 on: 20 February, 2022, 11:15:00 am »
Well it says "Winter" in the title and the ride lived up to the branding for a February event - cold start, lots of rain and grey skies.  However, after lunch the sky brightened and I even got a shadow at one point.

But I really love rides at this time of year. People come together and there's a real spirit of support on the road.  Made some new friends and was reminded of why stopping to eat in controls is a great way to feel part of something bigger than a 200km slog!

Amazed to get around without a visitation or actually seeing any. 

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #14 on: 20 February, 2022, 12:39:27 pm »
Fantastic ride!

Thanks for organising Paul and to all the volunteers!

-Mark

« Reply #15 on: 20 February, 2022, 12:47:33 pm »
Thanks again to Richard at the control who sorted out my slipping seatpost, it held all the way back,,,
What was your bodge? Torn-off piece of beer can inside the seatpost clamp, or a sliver of a toothpaste tube inside the seat tube? Jubilee clip?
Just moving the clamp to a different angle, I also wiped remaining grease off as might have been too much. It held fine in the weeks prior, maybe the combined weight of my Ortlieb was too much. Anyway was most grateful for help as I just couldn’t get it to hold.

« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2022, 01:15:06 pm »
I have a dumb beginner question - do I need to send my completed brevet card to Audax UK for it to be validated?

Does it need a stamped addressed envelop to get it back?

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2022, 01:24:09 pm »
I have a dumb beginner question - do I need to send my completed brevet card to Audax UK for it to be validated?

Does it need a stamped addressed envelop to get it back?

Fair q

Paul will tell them that he validated your ride so you can take your card off to the frame shop tomorrow...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2022, 03:36:43 pm »
Hi Chaps, and greetings to the hardy souls that elected not to rest a bed. It was touch and go whether this year's event went ahead but Eunice was officially over and we were set for a regular February event, i.e., variously sunny, cold, wet, and windy with the added bonus of an occasional fallen tree, and riders got to experience them all.

There was little evidence of "1000 yard stares" at the finish though, and riders generally(!) looked remarkably unruffled and ready to go again. I can but wish I looked that good after a winter's day awheel. The scores on the doors are 67 Finishers with 3 DNFs (1 Mech, 1 Abandon, 1 OOT). The results have been submitted posted to AUK and should be online in the next day or so.

Next up for me as Organiser is the renowned LondonWalesLondon 400 on 30 April (May Bank Holiday weekend).

Other club events are the 3Down 300km from Chalfont on 2 April, and the new Tour De Ricky on May 21 with 50/100/200 route options. As always see the AUK website for details.

Special thanks to Richard Perry, our intrepid controller at The Boat, and to Dave Morrison - The Godfather of West London Cycling! - for his great company at start and finish. Excellent!

GdS

« Reply #19 on: 21 February, 2022, 09:45:35 am »
i wussed  :-[ it was more the thought of a long and probably disrupted train journey and having to get wait on platforms and ride back across London after a thorough soaking. I opted for a local DIY yesterday and had my share of wet stuff but was able to keep moving and finish directly into a warm shower and dry clothes at home.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #20 on: 21 February, 2022, 11:02:59 am »
i wussed  :-[ it was more the thought of a long and probably disrupted train journey and having to get wait on platforms and ride back across London after a thorough soaking. I opted for a local DIY yesterday and had my share of wet stuff but was able to keep moving and finish directly into a warm shower and dry clothes at home.
checking the travel situation on Friday night, I found there were no chiltern trains running, so the train to West Ruislip plan was scrapped and I drove to Hillngdon station instead. "we hope to start trains running as close to possible as normal in the morning" did not fill me with confidence about the 06:22 appearing on time.

I did consider DIYing the route on sunday as it passes close to my house and would save time not travelling to and from the event. But the weather forecast for Sunday did not look better. Glad I went ahead, the wind was not too bad (horsepower 200 2019, The Dean 2019) and it only rained between Quainton and Stoke Bruene, saw a lot of familiar faces on the road and at the controls and got round with a better average speed than my 2019 ride, which fills me with confidence that come LEL I will be able to at least hit my PBP2019 form.