Author Topic: ACME Spring Tour/Training Camp  (Read 2416 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
ACME Spring Tour/Training Camp
« on: 21 December, 2020, 04:08:25 pm »
Just floating an idea I first mentioned at the Awards Evening last week:

Spring Training Camp

Weekends either side of Easter:
27/28 March or 10/11 April
Possibly extra days to make a long weekend or even a whole week?

Marple Grimpeurs*:
8 x 100km with 2.25 – 3.00 AAA
Also 1 x 200km with 4.5 AAA
Organiser: Chris Keeling-Roberts

Accommodation:
Stockport South Premier Inn & Holiday Inn Express 6km
Numerous campsites & B&Bs to the east in the Peak District National Park
Shaw Farm Holidays, self-catering mobile homes near New Mills 8km - fully booked through to mid-May!

Non-Audax Stuff in Marple:
Macclesfield and Peak Forest Canals (16 lock flight) and River Goyt
Manchester 30 minutes by train from Marple Station
Train links into the Peak District
Middlewood Way Sustrans cycle route

*There are also the more benign Mike Wigley permanents and no doubt others nearby in the Peak District and Cheshire that I haven't researched yet.

There's a few dark and dreary months ahead, probably in some sort of on-going C-19 lockdown/restrictions, to dream and plan for the spring (or summer, or whenever we get back to the old normal) ...

Re: ACME Spring Tour/Training Camp
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2020, 08:34:37 pm »
I rode those roads as a teenager with the South Lancashire Road Club, living only a few miles from Marple :thumbsup: Not sure whether I could make it, but will watch updates with interest.

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2020, 03:15:24 pm »
I'm interested. As you say Tomsk, something to aim amidst in the dark days ahead.

Roughly 300km to Stockport for me. Might be an option to cycle up if I'm feeling foolhardy.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

rob

« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2020, 03:24:38 pm »
I'm trying to work out how much leave I have for next year and how best to apply it.

I did wonder if someone would suggest riding up......

« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:47:24 pm »
Used to do it in a day from here, when I was younger...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:01:14 am »
Shaw Farm Holidays are fully booked now, through to mid-May! I see there is a Scout camp near Marple (Linnet Clough - three camping fields, looks enormous!) that takes outside bookings from groups, so that's another possible. I'll get in touch to check them out.

I reckon once there's an idea of when the lockdown will end, then holiday bookings will go mental!

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2021, 01:27:52 pm »
I know Linnet Clough. I did much of my camping there as a Scout in Cheshire and, as a leader, took my Troop there a few years ago for our summer camp. However, Scout facilities are mostly closed for the duration, I think. Do check of course.

« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2021, 05:26:57 pm »
Marple on the 358 (Hayfield) and 363 (Mellor) bus services from Stockport. Childhood memories  ;D

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2021, 05:36:32 pm »
I know Linnet Clough. I did much of my camping there as a Scout in Cheshire and, as a leader, took my Troop there a few years ago for our summer camp. However, Scout facilities are mostly closed for the duration, I think. Do check of course.

I'll email Linnet Clough soon.

Plan B at present might be the C&CC site in Hayfield about 8 miles away, which looks good. Opens on 01/04/21, we'll have a clearer idea how things are by then!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:24:14 pm »
Linnet Clough have got back to me and are currently not accepting bookings, unsurprisingly. I'd guessed as much from the (limited) information on their website. So the CCC site at Hayfield looks the most likely camping option, or budget hotels in Stockport. I guess they'll all be getting booked up, so how much forward planning and commitment is appropriate?

« Reply #10 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:41:52 pm »
What dates are you thinking? I think 12th April is when camping would be allowable once more.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:50:22 pm »
Yup, from the weekend after Easter (10/11) - 12th April is Monday. We'll have to see if the dates slip or advance in our favour - the former more likely I think ... Mid-April is something to aim at, though I'm very taken with Ted's King Alfred's Way idea. I've just ordered the CUK guide.

« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:26:49 pm »
The Guardian is quoting campsites with shared toilet blocks only opening from 17 May.....which messes up some of my plans

Those [who booked] for late May and June are doubtless delighted with today’s encouraging announcement that campsites with shared wash blocks may be able to reopen from 17 May – which means that late-May bank holiday and half-term breaks could still be safe,” he said.[/quote

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo

« Reply #14 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:07:44 pm »
The government wibble only talks about shared "bathing" facilities, which may or may not mean water closets.

IIRC there was a similar rule for at least some parts of last year but at least some campsites opened for tents anyway.