Author Topic: Fitbit  (Read 2301 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Fitbit
« on: 14 March, 2021, 07:16:59 pm »
No idea whether this should be here, or Health & Fitness or OT Knowledge....

Anyhoo, I'm thinking of treating myself to a device on the Smartwatch - Fitness tracker continuum. I had a quick nosey today and I saw that Fitbit have been taken over by Google (which Google haters will think is a bad thing but I think is good for longevity).
I want something that fits my tiny wrist, has good GPS, HR (as good as you can get without a chest strap, I know), preferably does O2 measurements. Most of the 'smart' stuff is fairly moot, I don't need to stream music etc to it. I'm not going to be running any marathons but if it can log my bike ride efforts and and walking or other stuff that will be fine.

I was looking at the Versa 3 or the Sense. I'm aware there's a big price differential and I've seen some reports about the Sense being a bit laggy.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had one or any thoughts?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Fitbit
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2021, 08:36:54 pm »
I am interested in the answers as my partner and I want to buy his daughter a smart watch for her birthday in May. We are trying to decide between the Fitbit Versa 3, a Garmin and the AmzFit or whatever it is. I am annoyed with Garmin’s perennial software issues (much happier with my Apple Watch since I switched), daughter has an android phone and hasn’t worn a watch for years so we don’t want to invest too much in case she decides she doesn’t like wearing the thing.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2021, 08:42:26 pm »
I’ve not tried the current range, but haven’t been impressed at the longevity of the three I had in the past (straps and battery). I’m using a Garmin watch now, though it’s under a year old so can’t really compare on lifetime yet.

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2021, 09:10:13 pm »
We have Versa 2- they don't have GPS but they will borrow your phone's GPS for tracking. I bought a strap because I have the nickel allergy and have skin that can be quite fussy. My wrists aren't tiny but they're definitely girl sized rather than man sized. The Versa 2 will do the O2 business but it rips through the battery. Heart rate is fairly consistent wrt the transmitting HRM I wear - but that's an arm one too. I think it was there or thereabouts with the chest strap, but I don't really remember. I charge it when I'm in the shower, so 10-15 minutes most days keeps it righteous.
I had a brief (18 months?) flirtation with Garmin but have reverted to Fitbit - it's less annoying, has a better app for step tracking and much better customer service if you have any issues. It will do music but I prefer words so haven't bothered setting it up. That said - I'm not a runner and only ever 'use' it for walking. I'm also glued to my phone, nearly never leave home without it. I wear it like most people wear a watch - all the time, not just for 'activities'.
Mine also features mini - me and I'm a right saddo who still thinks that's quite funny.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2021, 09:46:32 pm »
Haha, why the sock?

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:13:11 pm »
fboab likes socks.

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:46:48 pm »
Haha, why the sock?
She has a whole load of activities that coincide with the time of day. She'll be cosy in the sock (why a sock? No idea) till morning then will do some morning type activity. She has more variety in her days than I do, these days.

ETA : rise & shine with butterflies

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2021, 11:00:00 pm »
Mini-me is pre-covid, and doesn't understand the modern world.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2021, 07:54:18 am »
Aw.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2021, 01:16:27 pm »
If my watch said anything to me about 'rise and shine' at 06:51, it would be in the bin sharpish.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2021, 06:40:45 pm »
Huh, I didn't realise HRM arm bands were a thing. WTTF.

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2021, 07:54:53 pm »
Yup. I have this one clicky with chest straps they rarely survived changing the battery. Rechargeability pipped accuracy for me - but it seems close enough.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:01:19 pm »
If my watch said anything to me about 'rise and shine' at 06:51, it would be in the bin sharpish.
Likewise. I would be an hour late  ;D

I still have a Versa 2 somewhere as I moved to a Garmin VivoActive. The Fitbit app is much clearer, Garmin drowns you in data; but Garmin would sync my yoga practice to Strava et al and Fitbit simply doesn't. Oh, and Fitbit "calculates" your resting HR erraticly, it doesn't take the lowest readings (usually early in the morning). The Versa uses standard straps (19mm or 21mm pins, I forget), the cheaper models use proprietary straps that will break ( :thumbsup: for 2 year warranty and a shop that let me upgrade to the latest model both times I broke the strap).

« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:07:38 pm »
Fitbit syncs all my stuff: weights, pilates, rowing with Strava? The only thing I don't get synced is Zwift - Fitbit doesn't think indoor cycling is exercise.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:33:18 pm »
I have clicked on a Versa 3.