Author Topic: Today's scam...  (Read 16115 times)

Re: Today's scam...
« Reply #75 on: 06 May, 2021, 04:07:05 pm »
Phone call today on my landline. Couldn't be bothered to answer it. Could be a scam.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 06 May, 2021, 06:09:38 pm »
Mid-Atlantic Robo-woman telling me that due to “illegal activity” on the internets “your Internet Service Provider” will terminate your connection in the next 24-48 hours.  No mention of who my ISP actually is.  Yes, I'm going to press “1” to find out more.  Shortly after Stan goes to work on a dog sled.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #77 on: 07 May, 2021, 09:08:21 am »
My wife just got the scam post office text asking for £2.99 for delivery. Website actually looked very good with even a COVID warning, correct colours, etc. Font was slightly off.

Re: Scam of the Day
« Reply #78 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:40:25 am »

Anyone with a HSBC bank account warned not to click text link 'under any circumstances'

A text message reads: "HSBC: A payment to MR/MRS [insert name] has been attempted on [insert date] at [insert time]. If this was NOT you, please visit:"

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #79 on: 18 May, 2021, 09:39:25 am »

Anyone with a HSBC bank account warned not to click text link 'under any circumstances'

A text message reads: "HSBC: A payment to MR/MRS [insert name] has been attempted on [insert date] at [insert time]. If this was NOT you, please visit:"

I got a slightly different HSBC scam text last week.  Use you can tell as the genuine ones come from HSBC and not from "a number" and claiming to be HSBC in the text of the message.

« Reply #80 on: 18 May, 2021, 11:13:47 am »

I got a slightly different HSBC scam text last week.  Use you can tell as the genuine ones come from HSBC and not from "a number" and claiming to be HSBC in the text of the message.

The scammers can present any text number they like and so if your phone knows a HSBC number a bogus text will display in your HSBC thread, that's why people get caught out as the bogus text mimics them. Not sure why yours didn't actually display as HSBC.

« Reply #81 on: 18 May, 2021, 12:10:58 pm »
I got a threat to block my NI account earlier. I was tempted to not answer, then moan bitterly when I still got taxed on my pay at the end of the month. Instead I greeted them as I would a Tory.

« Reply #82 on: 18 May, 2021, 03:36:07 pm »
A first for me, a text from a mobile number claiming "Hermes:We wasn't (sic) able to deliver your parcel today, to reschedule redelivery...." with a link to click. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #83 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:07:38 pm »
A first for me, a text from a mobile number claiming "Hermes:We wasn't (sic) able to deliver your parcel today, to reschedule redelivery...." with a link to click.
I had one of those yesterday too.  Suspected it was a scam but wasn’t sure so I clicked through to a very genuine looking Hermes website (though the URL immediately gave away that it wasn’t the genuine article). It asked me to put in my postcode to check my delivery, so for giggles I put in the postcode of my childhood home. Lo and behold, there was a missed delivery for me at that address, although we left there 40 years ago ;D

« Reply #84 on: 20 May, 2021, 01:35:31 pm »
The (poor) grammar gave it away to me instantly.

« Reply #85 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:30:09 am »
What percentage of the population would be as critical of grammatical errors?*

*Nice work!
Grammarly found no errors in your text. Install Grammarly’s app to make sure your writing is mistake-free on other websites.

« Reply #86 on: 21 May, 2021, 09:06:45 am »
I had one of those yesterday too.  Suspected it was a scam but wasn’t sure so I clicked through to a very genuine looking Hermes website
Should you be thinking......"Am I expecting a parcel?" If not, then ignore/immediately delete text.

« Reply #87 on: 21 May, 2021, 10:03:36 am »
I had one of those yesterday too.  Suspected it was a scam but wasn’t sure so I clicked through to a very genuine looking Hermes website
Should you be thinking......"Am I expecting a parcel?" If not, then ignore/immediately delete text.
I think this scam works on the basis that most of the population with a smart phone will be expecting an online shopping delivery in the next few days.

« Reply #88 on: 21 May, 2021, 10:26:00 am »
I think this scam works on the basis that most of the population with a smart phone will be expecting an online shopping delivery in the next few days.

And with covid many deliveries have taken longer than usual. Delays are a window of opportunity for scammers.

« Reply #89 on: 21 May, 2021, 11:56:01 am »

*Nice work!
Grammarly found no errors in your text. Install Grammarly’s app to make sure your writing is mistake-free on other websites.

I don't know, I was lucky that it happened to be obvious to me. I didn't mean it to sound elitist or patronising.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #90 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:30:08 pm »
“How are you today?” asked Mr Technical Department of BT Broadband, sub-continentally.

“I am very not a BT Broadband customer!” quoth I, and hung up.

Five seconds later the cheeky fucker is back.

“Why did you just hang up the phone on me?”

“Because you’re a liar and a scammer!”

<CLICK>

He tried a third time.  I let the machine handle it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #91 on: 21 May, 2021, 09:46:29 pm »
I'm just getting "Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs" (recorded) at the moment. Takes the fun out of it, not having anyone to wind up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #92 on: 21 May, 2021, 10:55:43 pm »
If you press a few keys a drone starts talking to you. So keep on pressing the keys. They get the message eventually.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #93 on: 22 May, 2021, 09:09:12 am »

*Nice work!

I don't know, I was lucky that it happened to be obvious to me. I didn't mean it to sound elitist or patronising.

No criticism intended, I just happen to know of a person who got one of the HMRC calls who receives bonus related pay in a basic retail job.  They took it seriously and were lucky they mentioned the problem to a colleague who was a bit more savvy.  I guess too, that scammers keep a record of the vulnerable. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #94 on: 22 May, 2021, 03:09:08 pm »
Just had an email purportedly from Santander Bank, with whom I do not bank about updating my details.

Looks 'authentic'.

Suspicious link when hovering over buttons.

Nice try!

Be warned!

« Reply #95 on: 22 May, 2021, 03:19:43 pm »
No criticism intended, I just happen to know of a person who got one of the HMRC calls
HMRC don't make phone calls individual taxpayers.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #96 on: 22 May, 2021, 03:21:47 pm »
No criticism intended, I just happen to know of a person who got one of the HMRC calls

They request a phone number when you complete a Tax Return, I think.

« Reply #97 on: 22 May, 2021, 04:10:22 pm »

They request a phone number when you complete a Tax Return, I think.
When I worked for the Inland Revenue (as it was back in the day) we never made calls to individuals. However, taxpayers (who had tax queries) did phone the office when they
needed (financial) stuff sorting out.

« Reply #98 on: 22 May, 2021, 06:17:03 pm »

Who knew?!

« Reply #99 on: 24 May, 2021, 07:39:09 pm »
I was expecting a delivery which is why I wasn’t sure whether it was a scam :)