Author Topic: Got my recumbent bike bronze standard today!  (Read 2329 times)

Got my recumbent bike bronze standard today!
« on: 15 July, 2022, 07:34:16 pm »
Socks OTP kindly let me ride me one of his - cannot remember the exact model but 20" ish size wheels, tiller steering with a pivot for easy dismounting
After some foot-assisted wobbles around a grassy patch I progressed to circles in both directions. Dave and I then rode a few sMiles of disused rly. path for coffee and tarte limone at the Langley park Italian cafe. I managed a couple of hill starts as well. :-)
Now looking for a similar machine such as a Velotechnik Speedmachine.  e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304556352038?hash=item46e8f92226:g:r8YAAOSwV3FixtLj
The Rolhoff is a bonus, but I like proper guards and I think to fit them the 50mm tyres would have to be replaced, Thinking about it probably why the front guard has been cut off, it rubbed the tyre.
I have messaged the seller about fitting guards and smaller tyres on the rims but he may be inclined to give me a glossy answer.
The rims look wide and I suspect narrow(er) tyres won't ride well.  Can anyone give me the low-down on this please?

Re: Got my recumbent bike bronze standard today!
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2022, 09:59:59 pm »
My SPM had 32s at the front with mudguards, someone with a bit more technical savvy might be able to squeeze a mm or two more I reckon.  But with the front suspension you can run narrower tyres.
Nice price including rholoff and tailbox
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2022, 10:50:06 pm »
Never bothered with a rear mudguard on mine because the tailbox keeps the crap off the rider and space is marginal if you run the seat at a laid-back angle.  Front mudguard need a spacer and long bolt to clear the brake caliper.  I used 28 mm tyres but I reckon something stouter would probably fit.  Not 50 mm stout though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2022, 06:23:09 am »
Thanks, IHPM about a different machine as a result of this thread

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2022, 10:03:29 pm »
You’re more than welcome to pop up to Newcastle and borrow my Challenge Seiran on indefinite loan. (see page 1 of ‘pictures of your bents’ for photo).

The only problem is that it is currently stripped back to just frame, fork and seat. If you can muster some 26” wheels, transmission and brakes you’ll have a decent bent. 

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2022, 11:08:49 pm »
Thanks, that's a good offer will PM you about arrangements