Author Topic: Cyclists who pay "road tax".. sometimes known as Road Fund Licence & VED  (Read 13238 times)

Martin

2 lots (because French cars have 0 2nd hand value even though one is still a perfectly useable and almost new vehicle)

I've often wanted to get a jersey that said  "yes I do pay road tax" (I don't like the term either but VED means as much to the average Little Englander as 200km) although it would probably result in even more insults from clever twats.

VED has a band A which is for al vehicles emitting less than 100g of CO2 per km
which includes; Bicycles
The charge for VED Band A is £0.00

So in fact by the vehicle assessment standards all bicycles pay full VED for their band

where did you find that? bicycles are not in a VED band because they are not vehicles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
I pay VED on my outrageously silly german motorcycle.  Hardly ride the thing at the moment, too...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

VED has a band A which is for al vehicles emitting less than 100g of CO2 per km

These vehicles include

and........................................

Bicycles

The charge for VED Band A is £0.00

So in fact by the vehicle assessment standards all bicycles pay full VED for their band

I've just gone from 3 VED to ... errr...   I think I may have topped 20  :-[

where did you find that? bicycles are not in a VED band because they are not vehicles

WRONG.  Bicycles ARE vehicles, though they may or may not come into a VED band.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Road-runner, even the govt. make mistakes.  It's still not road tax, even when wrongly referred to as such.  Car tax is in common usage, in the current crushing adverts for example, so someone in the govt. has some sense.

My second point is that, ignoring VED, bicycles are vehicles, or are you disputing this?

naming conventions are amusing. 

As I've posted before, go to your local pay and display car park and look at the rules.   I've seen loads (different counties) that say "cars parked here must display a valid road fund licence".

I keep meaning to write to the relevant council and ask how I can comply.  :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...

Err... yes they are are - in both UK and EU law 'pedal cycles' are classed as 'road vehicles' (I would provide the relevant quotes from the legislation but I can't be arsed as they have appeared on the forum many times before).  

All road vehicles in the UK are allocated to a VED band, except those which are exempted from VED - these being pedal cycles1, horse drawn vehicles and certain 'Crown'2 vehicles.

1  Contrary to popular belief, certain bicycles are subject to VED.  Trade bicycles and tricycles are charged VED - see DVLA Form V149.  Although I understand that no such license has been issued for many years.

2  Certain vehicles operated by the Crown or crown/government departments and agencies are exempt from VED but are required to display an exemtion certificate in teh form of a 'Exempt Tax Disc'.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

It's only the ignorant and the idiots who call it road tax.  Can we change it to car tax please?

Well, BentMikey, the government's Department for Transport call it VED (annual road tax). They may be idiots but they don't refer to it as car tax, maybe because it applies to other motorised road-going vehicles too.

Err... yes they do! 

The Government and DVLA are not much help because on their various web-sites and webpages they use differing terms for the same thing - sometimes even on the same page or in consecutive paragraphs...   ::-)

Joined up government is still a pipe dream.. ;)

Green Party Councillor

simonp

1  Contrary to popular belief, certain bicycles are subject to VED.  Trade bicyles and tricycles are charged VED - see DVLA Form V149.

Umm, no.

A trade licence is for a mechanically propelled vehicle, and is for the use of a motor trader or vehicle tester to use in the course of their business.

See Redirect Notice

Zoidburg

OFFS! You are fighting like spoiled little bitches - VED is for "motor vehicles". That means any motor driven vehicle on the road that can do 15 mph without it having to be powered by a person as well. Its the same law they use to confiscate and crush
mini-moto bikes found on the road.

Regulator

OFFS! You are fighting like spoiled little bitches - VED is for "motor vehicles". That means any motor driven vehicle on the road that can do 15 mph without it having to be powered by a person as well. Its the same law they use to confiscate and crush
mini-moto bikes found on the road.

Sorry Zoiders - but Vehicle Excise Duty applies to all road vehicles.  Bicycles are legally classed as road vehicles.

However, bicycles/tricyles and horse drawn vehicles are exempted from (but not excepted from) VED and therefore are not allocated to a VED band. 

VED bands based on emmissions relate only to cars.  Other motor vehicles are allocated on engine size or vehicle configuration.

Green Party Councillor

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
The Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, as amended, Part I, clause 1:
(1)  A duty of excise ( “vehicle excise duty") shall be charged in respect of every mechanically propelled vehicle that—
(a) is registered under this Act (see section 21), or
(b) is not so registered but is used, or kept, on a public road in the United Kingdom.
(1A) Vehicle excise duty shall also be charged in respect of every thing (whether or not it is a vehicle) that has been, but has ceased to be, a mechanically propelled vehicle and—
(a) is registered under this Act, or
(b) is not so registered but is used, or kept, on a public road in the United Kingdom.

And a bicycle, tricycle (not being a motor tricycle), or whathaveyou is not a mechanically propelled vehicle. Zoiders has it, by a count. Now, shake hands.
Not especially helpful or mature

...but that doesn't affect my point that a bicycle is still a vehicle.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Yes, and none of us pedants will argue with you on that. But is it a mechanically propelled vehicle? No. VED is charged on fewer than all vehicles. "Car tax" is charged on more than just cars. "Road tax" or "Road fund licence" is charged on more than vehicles used, or kept, on the road. There's no completely, irrefragably logical name, even the proper one.

I thought all this was argued to death on u.r.c back in the mists of time, and we'd all moved on out of sheer exhaustion.
Not especially helpful or mature

alan

Some of you are literally losing the thread with pedantry overtaking the purpose of the OP. ::-)

Be prepared for SORN 'd  vehicles to be required to pay VED in future which they do not at the present time,possibly introduced in the next budget :(

Naggers

• Lost in a daze

Be prepared for SORN 'd  vehicles to be required to pay VED in future which they do not at the present time,possibly introduced in the next budget :(

Hadn't heard that  :(
I'll have to scrap my Garden storage facility - a SORN'd BMW 320i  >:(

I get immense satisfaction getting a free Tax Disc for my 1967 VW  8)

My problem with the "you don't pay 'road tax', roads are paid for out of general taxation" argument is that vehicle owners still pay something extra into the general taxation pot that non-vehicle owners don't.

Of course there's no way to know or track where the individual pounds of your tax monies end up getting spent, the fact that the total amount of income tax, capital gains tax and stamp duty I've paid in my life (all going to the general taxation pot) dwarfs the amount of VED I would have paid if I'd kept a car and motorbike all of my adult life seems inconsequential.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

I pay VED on my commuter car and have my classic SORNed.  If they start charging for SORN, then they will scrap a lot of old cars.
I don't know if I would have to pay it though.  My car hasn't been on the road since before SORN was introduced, so unlike others, I don't have to SORN it every year, it is now officially SORNed until (if) it gets back on the road.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave

Hadn't heard that  :(
I'll have to scrap my Garden storage facility - a SORN'd BMW 320i  >:(

I get immense satisfaction getting a free Tax Disc for my 1967 VW  8)

You think you've got problems, Lord Montague is going to really struggle!
Owner of a languishing Langster

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
My problem with the "you don't pay 'road tax', roads are paid for out of general taxation" argument is that vehicle owners still pay something extra into the general taxation pot that non-vehicle owners don't.

You can say the same about most tax regimes.
It is simpler than it looks.

ChrisO

You can say the same about most tax regimes.

And about smokers and drinkers.

Equally you could say people with children take more out than people with none, but are taxed the same.

The logical conclusion is a user-pays market for provision of a much greater range of services and infrastructure than is currently they case.

Divide the cost of roads maintenance and building by the number of gallons of fuel consumed, chuck in a multiplier for vehicles which cause more damage and you have a genuine road tax where the heaviest users pay and everyone contributes indirectly at least through the cost of transported goods.

I pay for two, and have been known to put the old tax discs in the se thru pockets of hi vis vest I sport on occasion. Yet to have any drivers notice this yet though.

alan

I pay for two, and have been known to put the old tax discs in the se thru pockets of hi vis vest I sport on occasion. Yet to have any drivers notice this yet though.

;D :thumbsup:

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.

But people who don't own motor-vehicles probably pay a fair bit in public transport and taxi fares.

I'll also wager that a fair number of people on this forum pay as much in VAT on their bicycle-related purchases each year as many car-owners do in VED :P.
Pen Pusher

But people who don't own motor-vehicles probably pay a fair bit in public transport and taxi fares.

I'll also wager that a fair number of people on this forum pay as much in VAT on their bicycle-related purchases each year as many car-owners do in VED :P.

That's a bit better. Something along the lines of:-

You may pay £195 a year "road tax", but over the last 3 years I've paid at least £200 a year in VAT on my cycling purchases, therefore my cycling contributes just as much to the general taxation pot as the average VED.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."