Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624591 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1875 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:20:24 pm »
LibreOffice Impress, why are you such a pile of thin, runny shite?

Forrin students, when in Britain, do as the Brits do: QUEUE!

While I'm at it, Italian conference organisers, I've never heard of IEEE pdfeXpress.  Kindly point me to it before complaining that my paper isn't IEEE compliant.  Of course it is, I created it with your blimmin' Latex template, I just haven't run it through the verification tool that you didn't show me before.

Did you also get a copy of the paper from them that you then upload, instead of the one you made yourself? I feel your pain.

It seems they wanted me to run the paper  through this IEEE pdfeXpress service that verifies stuff is IEEE compliant and adds some "checked by pdfeXpress: IEEE compliant" meta-text somewhere, after which you can upload your paper to their conftool site.  That's all done now, it would just have been nice had they made this a bit more apparent on their paper call.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1876 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »
You know when you've not got enough time to do stuff, and you've got a several of stuffs to do, and you end up not knowing what to do first and instead just sit there flapping for a bit?
That.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1877 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »
I know that.  All too well. :-[
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1878 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »
You know when you've not got enough time to do stuff, and you've got a several of stuffs to do, and you end up not knowing what to do first and instead just sit there flapping for a bit?
That.

..is the time to go for a cup of tea.

simonp

« Reply #1879 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:40:15 pm »
Sore, stuffy ear, aching glands, productive cough.

This is what I get for riding the Bryan Chapman at the tail end of a cold.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1880 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:50:54 pm »
American colleague: the only way I can make the explanation simpler for you to understand involves a plane ticket to Chicago and a cricket bat.

Somehow I don't think management would sign off on that (which is a pity)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1881 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:55:50 pm »
American colleague: the only way I can make the explanation simpler for you to understand involves a plane ticket to Chicago and a cricket bat.

A coworker is moving back to NZ and is looking to sell off some of his belongings, such as a cricket bat.  When I pointed out the lack of a LART in this office he decided to donate the cricket bat to the worthy cause.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1882 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »

A coworker is moving back to NZ and is looking to sell off some of his belongings, such as a cricket bat.  When I pointed out the lack of a LART in this office he decided to donate the cricket bat to the worthy cause.
Despite offering to use my own cricket bat, they still refused to sign off on a plane ticket :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1883 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »
Why am I reminded of Ian Faith?
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1884 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »
Had a look through some of the CVs we've received in relation to our advert for graduate developers.

Quite a few foreigners, and a strangely large number of Russians - not that I have any particular problem with this; one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working with is Russian.

No, the source of the grumble is the CVs from UK nationals (for want of a better term) - without exception, all of the 'foreign' CVs had far better grammar, spelling, syntax etc. than their UK counterparts ::-)

And people wonder why the UK is in the shitter ... this should probably be a rant, but to be honest it's too bloody hot ;)

« Reply #1885 on: 24 May, 2012, 07:39:23 pm »
Well, I've finally got round to updating the details for a new Credit card on my PAYG mobile broadband account. It took a few goes because after the bit where I could change the expiry date to the new one, there was a bit where it said "Enter issue number (HSBC Maestro Cards only)". Because I was updating a Mastercard, I left this blank and clicked submit, only to be told "You must enter an issue number".

:facepalm:

In the end, it turned out that 00 was an acceptable compromise....

...or so I thought. Topping up for the first time since, using the Mastercard, I get a message telling me that I have entered an unnecessary issue number. I should try leaving the issue number blank...

I have emailed them for clarification. Let's see what happens.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1886 on: 24 May, 2012, 07:54:29 pm »
Yes, issue number fields should be left blank unless the card actually has them.  If their sanity check barfs on this, then it's unfit for purpose.

« Reply #1887 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:03:05 pm »
Yes, issue number fields should be left blank unless the card actually has them.  If their sanity check barfs on this, then it's unfit for purpose.

Yes, that was my assumption. But I cannot make it accept my expiry date change without entering a false number.

I've pointed out that my alternative card is due to renew soon, and that if I have this trouble with that one, I'm changing supplier - although I could do without buying a new dongle.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1888 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:05:35 pm »
Opiates.
How I love your pain relieving ways. Since I relented and started necking you like there's an unending supply, I've been using my mending wrist so much more. It's great to be able to open cupboards, lift cutlery, manipulate clothing and type 2 handed, all without yelping.

However.

There's something I miss, more than I ever thought possible.
Please can I be having a crap some time this month?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1889 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:50:59 pm »
Mr Salmond, I don't mind if you want an independence refererererendum, I really don't. But do we really have to start the campaigning now, when the referererererendum is over 2 years away? Couldn't you just send us leaflets the week before?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1890 on: 29 May, 2012, 07:39:14 pm »
Forecasters, sort yourselves out, please.  Yesterday and today you predicted evening showers.  In light of this, I've left the nippy, mudguardless Moulton at home and rode my Orbea (hybrid).  How much rain did I ride through on my evening commutes?  None.   ::-)

I've got you beat tomorrow, though.  Again, some of your are predicting evening showers.  But I'm working from home, so will be out on my bike very early in the morning to get in the miles and won't have to even think about getting wet in the evening.  :smug:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1891 on: 29 May, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »
Dear The Police

I'm so tired I'm going to bed now. The reason I am so tired is that the weather has been so warm I've been sleeping with the bedroom window open. There is a police station outside. Last night, at about midnight, I was kept awake by a couple shouting. She was absolutely roaring greeting, screaming and shouting "you don't loooooooooooooooove me, you're going to leaaaaaaaaaaaaave me, dinnae leaaaaaaaaaaaave me, I looooooooooove you" and he was shouting "I dooooo love youuuuuuuuuuu shut the fuck uuuuuuuuuup Rebeccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." This was all taking place in the police car park, in full earshot of at least three of your police ossifers. I know this because after 20 minutes of it I stuck my head out of the window and shouted "fucking shut the fuck up," but it didn't make any difference. The racket continued for quite a while afterwards, interspersed with various bangs and clashes. And then a dog barked for about half an hour.

Next time you lift a pair of drunk fucktards, plz to be keeping them quiet

kthnxbai
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1892 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:41:37 am »
Fairies, I know you're only doing your jobs and living your lives, and I don't even mind you working on me from time to time, but please pick a different occasion, not when I've just locked the front door and have only ten minutes to get to a place that's at least fifteen minutes' ride away. And I only mended a visitation in that wheel on Monday night. Oh well, I'm sure I didn't really want to meet some friends and ride to Clevedon on a sunny day anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1893 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:57:04 am »
Forecasters, sort yourselves out, please.  Yesterday and today you predicted evening showers.  In light of this, I've left the nippy, mudguardless Moulton at home and rode my Orbea (hybrid).  How much rain did I ride through on my evening commutes?  None.   ::-)

I've got you beat tomorrow, though.  Again, some of your are predicting evening showers.  But I'm working from home, so will be out on my bike very early in the morning to get in the miles and won't have to even think about getting wet in the evening.  :smug:
In a similar vein: weather, sort it out ...

I'm well used to the fact that the weather will invariably be complete and utter shite whenever I decide to take a holiday, but a high of 12C on June 1st? Do me a bloody favour ... (of course, it's forecast to piss down on both bank holidays, but that's pretty much standard operating procedure in the UK)

« Reply #1894 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »
Fellow school governor: I have witnessed first hand that communication from the head to me, a governor, is not what I consider it should be. It is therefore, not beyond the realms of possibility that communication with "lowly" school dinner ladies might not be what it should be. Instead of suggesting that we meet with them with a view to, in essence, invite them to leave because they chose to report an issue direct to Ofsted inspectors is not the best course of action, is it? I have suggested that we meet them to gently ask them why they did so, and I wouldn't be surprised if communication channels aren't what they should be, and possibly what the head imagines them to be.

The head is a fantastic head, teaching-wise, but needs help as an administrator, IMHO.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1895 on: 30 May, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »
Bloody system, why do you keep failing to do what you're supposed to do with the invoices?  This means we get lusers saying "Please can I have invoice #n from February 2006" which means a massive amount of time-consuming fannying around.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1896 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:50:05 pm »
WTF ?   Checking tickets for this years Exmouth Exodus, I can get down on Saturday for £32, but can't seem to find a sensible train back on the Sunday for less than £113.50  :o

Edit - single  Exeter to Bham - £24.50  single   Bham to Lpool - £26.10

Perhaps I shall have another night of South Western Suffering after all  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1897 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:57:52 pm »
Scratter from across the road: your car is a barely MOT-worthy piece of shit. No amount of revving the engine at dumbass o'clock, no amount of sponsorship stickers from assorted car-tuning companies and no amount of cheap plastic tat glued to the bodywork is going to change that.

Your car is an R-reg Fiesta; accept this and move on. Ideally into the next county.

« Reply #1898 on: 31 May, 2012, 09:11:46 am »
Do I have a sign on my forehead that says if you are very overweight, and have a problem with deodorant (at 07:15 in the morning for gods sake, did you not shower), and therefore smell hideously of B.O., you have to sit next to me on the train?  :sick:

Also, its a rush hour train.  It gets crowded.  Get over it or get a later train.  Which will be even more crowded.  Stop bl**dy moaning about it in a really loud voice in the hope someone will give up a seat.  You're not disabled, you're fat.  Its not my fault you don't fit in the middle seats.

« Reply #1899 on: 31 May, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
I'm very fed up, sick of being reliant on people for stuff, missing my exercise endorphins, want my independence back and being in plaster in the heat sucks. And it hurts. I'm down in the dumps.

*grumble grumble*