Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624485 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3575 on: 03 July, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »
Yes. I'm guessing the sounder batteries regularly outlive the main system batteries. Could be various things:-

* different sizes
* different usages (system battery is a small drain, sounder battery is a quick drain to battery exhaustion)
* siren sounder battery only required during a power cut and when the system battery is dead
* sounder battery rechargeable and system battery not? or slow discharge cycle causes system battery to stop accepting recharge

I think the 3rd one may be key. Over successive power cuts (or long periods where the power is intentionally shut off) the system battery will slowly be depleted but the sounder battery is never touched. Only when the system battery is finally gone does any power cut cause the sounder to go off.

Fuckwits (like me) live with this for ages until finally thinking about doing something about it.

Anyway, I'll know more once I've attacked it tonight.

Typo fixed. Ta.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3576 on: 03 July, 2013, 04:07:01 pm »
I always assumed they went off when the power failed as an anti-tamper feature.  Does the main system battery usually die before the sounder battery like this?

I wouldn't expect a power fail to cause the alarm to sound when there's adequate (system) battery backup.

Then half the alarms in Silly Oak have a dead system battery and working external sounder battery.

Unless they detect mains failure as a tamper condition.

(They go off as power fails.  A couple go off again when it's restored.)

deaddeadokno sound because there's nothing to power the sounder

I assume that's a typo for 'dead dead dead'

I think most of the alarms in the country are like that. It's just a sealed lead acid battery. What's the life on one of those? 3-5 years? Depends on how the alarm system cycles the battery as well I suppose.

A large amount of alarms down my street go off on a power cut. The ones where I know people have their alarms serviced do not.

« Reply #3577 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:43:11 pm »
Had a further look now I'm home. The alarm looks to be a well known brand.

Access to the screws looks good. I'm happy with not isolating it first (as that would just set it off again). I won't be poking around inside it, only taking the cover off (sticking the code in to stop it going off) and taking a couple of photos to get details of the battery and the model number of the board.

(Surprisingly the bloke in the video linked above doesn't isolate his either, but I guess that's because he wants to demonstrate the tamper alarm, and he lives on the edge.)

Once MiniGB is in bed I'll have a go at it.

Sorting out the alarm has been on my TODO list for coming on 6 years now (pretty much ever since we moved in).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3578 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:24:42 pm »
I think most of the alarms in the country are like that. It's just a sealed lead acid battery. What's the life on one of those? 3-5 years? Depends on how the alarm system cycles the battery as well I suppose.

Well yes.  So why is the sounder battery still working?

« Reply #3579 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:25:51 pm »
OK, alarm update. I know you're all gripped...

Battery definitely dead. It's leaked a little bit and the +ve terminal has eaten itself (clip on cable seems fine though). Date on battery shows it was installed just under 11 years ago (and it's probably been dead for 4 or 5 years already).

Battery (sealed lead acid, 12V, 7Ah) is £39.95 in Maplin or £14.50 (with free P&P) from eBay. Hmm, tricky choice, not! Ordered. I can take the old one to the special battery grave at the tip on Friday.

However, after opening the case I could stop the alarm by entering the user code (or "Master code") which I know. To shut the case I need the engineer code, which I don't know, otherwise the alarm goes off (and can't be stopped) because of the tamper switch being reseated and that's an engineer thing apparently.

Resetting both the master and engineer codes is easy though (manuals found on t'Interweb), just have to shut off the power by flicking the appropriate breaker (and before replacing the battery) and hold down two keys on the keypad for 2 seconds within 5 seconds of turning the power back on. That's easy enough to do (although I won't do it now as I've probably annoyed the neighbours enough over the last 24 hours) as I've got to wait for the new battery anyway.

Luckily it's away from prying fingers (of a 3 year old) so I can leave it with the cover wedged slightly open.

« Reply #3580 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:26:09 pm »

Because it has its own battery.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3581 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »

Which is magically immune from dying from lack of maintenance.

Dry cell, maybe?

« Reply #3582 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:41:06 pm »

Dry cell, maybe?

Dunno, when I've got the engineer code (Friday probably). I'll be able to take the cover off and look. Don't want to risk it bleating out 130dB right next to my ear as I'm trying to unscrew it.

« Reply #3583 on: 03 July, 2013, 11:16:22 pm »
OK, alarm update. I know you're all gripped...

Battery definitely dead. It's leaked a little bit and the +ve terminal has eaten itself (clip on cable seems fine though). Date on battery shows it was installed just under 11 years ago (and it's probably been dead for 4 or 5 years already).

Battery (sealed lead acid, 12V, 7Ah) is £39.95 in Maplin or £14.50 (with free P&P) from eBay. Hmm, tricky choice, not! Ordered. I can take the old one to the special battery grave at the tip on Friday.

However, after opening the case I could stop the alarm by entering the user code (or "Master code") which I know. To shut the case I need the engineer code, which I don't know, otherwise the alarm goes off (and can't be stopped) because of the tamper switch being reseated and that's an engineer thing apparently.

Resetting both the master and engineer codes is easy though (manuals found on t'Interweb), just have to shut off the power by flicking the appropriate breaker (and before replacing the battery) and hold down two keys on the keypad for 2 seconds within 5 seconds of turning the power back on. That's easy enough to do (although I won't do it now as I've probably annoyed the neighbours enough over the last 24 hours) as I've got to wait for the new battery anyway.

Luckily it's away from prying fingers (of a 3 year old) so I can leave it with the cover wedged slightly open.

Durn, sorry, I have a new battery you could have had for nuffink. Not sure of its capacity

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3584 on: 07 July, 2013, 08:17:22 pm »
I spent most of yesterday driving.
Today, I spent the morning cutting the lawns and this afternoon doing more bleeding driving. Bringing the dog up to Brum (deep joy) 'coz Her In Wales has buggered off to Heidleburg with her SiL.
And here I am, reading the "Have You Been Out Today?" thead and feeling very jealous.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3585 on: 07 July, 2013, 08:44:27 pm »
Similar to the above, a hard weekend bringing fun to the poeple of West Bromwich hasn't left much in the way of time to appreciate the cycling weather.  Or sleep/eat/wash.

Good training for the 200 that I'll be DNSing on Wednesday, I suppose.

« Reply #3586 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »

Dry cell, maybe?

My alarm has done the exact same thing more than once since I've lived here. I had the main battery replaced once, and now need another one. No one has ever touched the sounder battery (house and alarm 18 years old), and the damn thing goes off any time there's a power cut because it thinks someone's tampered with the alarm  :facepalm:
It then goes off again when the power comes back on  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I might get round to having it serviced at some point. I have networked CTC cameras emailing me movement sensitive pictures so it's less important for security these days.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3587 on: 07 July, 2013, 11:20:09 pm »
On rides and other forms of extended exercise, I use large bandannas as big hankies.  (See someone else's thread about runny noses)
So, me and #s 1 & 2 are in the pub at Great Langdale after our successful attack of Scarfell Pike when I feel the need.  Reaching into my pocket I find a large clothy item, pull it out and give a good PARP! into it. 
Both the boys fall about laughing.  Why are they laughing?  What's funny?  What?  What?
I look down.  I've just blown my nose into my YACF buff.  (Which I'd been wearing as a headscarf as a Male Pattern Baldness sun protector during the day and a mozzy hat in the evening)

Bugger.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3588 on: 07 July, 2013, 11:39:24 pm »
Bloody Hell!  I've just come upstairs to go to bed.  It's about 400 degrees hotter up here.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3589 on: 07 July, 2013, 11:59:15 pm »
Teenagers! I was saving two pieces of pizza to take to work tomorrow and the little so and so has eaten one of them.   >:(
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3590 on: 08 July, 2013, 08:45:08 am »
Bloody Hell!  I've just come upstairs to go to bed.  It's about 400 degrees hotter up here.

We were working upstairs in the attic bedroom building site yesterday, and I was tiling up the side of the shower cubicle. It was noticeably hotter when I was up the 2 steps of the mini step ladder than standing on the floor...

It was long hot day, but I've only got 28 more tiles to stick up to finish it, and we now have an extra velux window in the bathroom, which gives loads more light, and will provide a lovely view of nothing but trees when standing at the basin.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #3591 on: 08 July, 2013, 06:15:56 pm »
So, having written Virginia Wade out of history for having the temerity for being a woman, it must really chap the collective asses of the All England Club that this year's men's champion, is in fact a Scot. Marvellous  :thumbsup:.

I love watching Old Fucker institutions squirm.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3592 on: 08 July, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »
Hmm, lessee now...  '36,  '77, '13.  I make it only 38 or so years or so to go until the next British winner.  Roll on 2050-51!  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3593 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:28:30 pm »
So, having written Virginia Wade out of history for having the temerity for being a woman, it must really chap the collective asses of the All England Club that this year's men's champion, is in fact a Scot. Marvellous  :thumbsup:.

Also Ann Jones, and another woman before her whose name I forget.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3594 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:43:39 pm »

Codes reset. (Only required making the alarm sound for a second).

New battery arrived.

Will probably be Friday when I don't coincide with the neighbours so I can finish it off and hopefully get it all closed up without it going off on me.

It'll also be nice to throw the power and not have the alarm go off, nor have it go off after a power cut.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3595 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:44:35 pm »

Personally, I'd always discounted her for being a South African, but I find she spent her first year in the UK.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #3596 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:48:07 pm »

Personally, I'd always discounted her for being a South African, but I find she spent her first year in the UK.

And Chris Froome was born in Keyna, but apparently he's British too!

« Reply #3597 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:50:16 pm »

Wiggins was born in Belgium.

Millar was born in Malta.

etc, etc.

Nationality is far from as simple as it was, say, 100 years ago.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3598 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:51:17 pm »
I was born in Singapore.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3599 on: 08 July, 2013, 11:50:50 pm »

Wiggins was born in Belgium.

Millar was born in Malta.

etc, etc.

Nationality is far from as simple as it was, say, 100 years ago.
I think you're overestimating its simplicity back then. What nationality was Marie Curie? Andrew Carnegie? Franz Kafka? Henry Farman?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897