Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624536 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3925 on: 18 September, 2013, 11:21:40 am »
A956 (I assume that's what you meant) south.

*girds loins*
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3926 on: 18 September, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »
Selling stuff - Why do people say they will turn up and then not appear.  No call, no nothing.

« Reply #3927 on: 18 September, 2013, 08:07:50 pm »
grrr, BBC trailer for the new drama. Berkshire County Council disappeared from existance 20 years ago when it became unitary authorities.  >:(

« Reply #3928 on: 18 September, 2013, 08:14:53 pm »
grrr, BBC trailer for the new drama. Berkshire County Council disappeared from existance 20 years ago when it became unitary authorities.  >:(

I'm fairly sure there's no such thing as a Town Planning and Noise Guidance Adviser either  ;)

« Reply #3929 on: 18 September, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »
My Kindle appears to have died. It was fine last night, but today the on/off switch has no effect at all :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3930 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:43:31 am »
When I got to work and went to pick up a book from the library, my purse wasn't in my bag. I'm 99.9999999999999999999% sure I just didn't take it out of my rucksack last night after swimming, but there's a tiny part of me worried I dropped it on the bus.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3931 on: 19 September, 2013, 04:30:39 pm »
Sorry.  Three in one.  I'm not having a great day.

1)
Thanks.  Thanks for sending round that preference thingy.

As you requested, I ranked the suggested venues.

My prefs were
B’ham - 1 (obv)
Manchester - 2
That London – 3333333million

Your suggested dates, I highlighted
Green – Good for me
Yellow – Not great, but I can sort something out (probably)
Red – No.  Can’t do that date.

So. It seems that we are meeting in London, on one of my red dates.

I’ve also noticed that you are the only one actually in London.
GIT!

2)
Other colleague.  I assume that there must be some other meaning to the expression “I’ll get back to you shortly” of which I have been previously unaware.
Also a GIT

3)
Me.  Be much more careful how you word responses to e-mails when you are super busy doing other things.
My response of “Can I look at this later?” was translated in further e-mails to other people as “Basil says will look at this”
After several further Chinese whispers this culminates in an e-mail from my Grandboss “Basil, thank you for taking ownership of this.  We’re on a tight schedule blah blah blah…….

What?  How the hell has this happened?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3932 on: 19 September, 2013, 08:02:27 pm »
I'm sure the income from the booking is welcome, but it really pisses us off when we get back at lunchtime to find notices telling us to be quiet (and after 3.45pm, SILENT!) because of the course and exam happening in the hall.

We do a shitty job in all weathers (and the all weathers was just today), so it would be nice to think we could sit and chat normally at lunchtime. Not to mention all the volunteers who work hard on the reserve.  Also not to mention, it is actually a public building. The hall is open to the rest of the building at the sides, completely stupid to try and have a quiet or silent meeting in there.

Feeling a bit like second class citizens at the moment. >:(

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #3933 on: 21 September, 2013, 05:18:46 pm »
Grr, I live all of 1.5 miles from the ToB route today, did I get to see it....

Of course not some daft couple chose to get married at 1pm today and asked paid for the choir to sing at the wedding. So rather than standing in YACF lycra just after the feed zone for some good freebies I was sat in the pews dressed up in robes as the race went by.

Oh and the money goes into choir funds (read organ appeal) not to the few who were actually there.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3934 on: 22 September, 2013, 01:19:11 am »
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 30 minutes from Sunday's route, but I shall be at home nursing a sore head.  All my own fault.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3935 on: 22 September, 2013, 08:49:00 am »
I've just spent an hour in the kitchen fighting with the last incarnation of sourdough and a new folding technique. By the time I gave up there was more dough stuck to me, and the kitchen cupboards than there was on the worktop. After it kept trying to escape off the top I decided it was too wet and added some more flour.
Now I think it's too tight.

I'm beginning to think it's really not worth all this hassle.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3936 on: 24 September, 2013, 09:35:17 am »
Oy Wiggle! Why have you stopped stocking Carradice bags?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3937 on: 25 September, 2013, 09:20:09 am »
What was going on yesterday evening. Going to the pub was a nightmare. It was like trying to negotiate a meeting of the Ampthill Road Park Like A Fud Club - cars seemingly abandoned all over the place.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #3938 on: 25 September, 2013, 10:54:08 am »

*girds loins*
Was the girding effective?

girding . . .  what a great word.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3939 on: 25 September, 2013, 09:12:55 pm »

*girds loins*
Was the girding effective?

girding . . .  what a great word.

It is indeed a great word.
Monday was a piece of piss because it was a bank holiday. However, I did bunk up onto the pavement for the last steepest bit of hill after 2 close passes but I probably wasn't taking enough of the lane. Yesterday  was busier but I hopped up onto the pavement even earlier I'm afraid. I really don't mind taking the lane where I'm at pace with the traffic, but 2 lanes of traffic including lorries covered in drill pipe and I felt that the slower and slower I got I would just end up getting aggro as the speed differential got bigger. Which isn't really worth it, but it's only a wee bit of not busy pavement so better that than stress or greasy splat.
Last night I found that the RAB leaving the estate (which I miss in the morning) is a bit of a death trap so I might use that wee bit of pavement on the way home too in order to avoid that.

Yes, it's not the tactic of a guerilla cyclist but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, and the new office is stressful enough without knowing I'm going to get aggro before I get there every morning.
Sorry   :-[

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3940 on: 25 September, 2013, 09:16:45 pm »
Oh, and my cycle commute took me only 35 mins.
I took the (spit) bus this morning (after work coffee dictated), it cost a fortune, it was shit and it took 1hr 15m to get to work! I could have walked it in not much more than that!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3941 on: 26 September, 2013, 07:39:26 am »
I took the (spit) bus this morning (after work coffee dictated), it cost a fortune, it was shit and it took 1hr 15m to get to work! I could have walked it in not much more than that!
Oy! No spitting on the bus!   (One for the older readers amongst us.)

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #3942 on: 26 September, 2013, 07:54:47 am »
When my mother moved to Kent from Sheffield as a child,  she thought people in the south must be very posh because they didn't need signs on the buses telling them not to spit!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3943 on: 26 September, 2013, 08:39:18 am »

It's infradig, infrahip and a very common line.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3944 on: 28 September, 2013, 11:32:18 pm »
Stupid, stupid parents.  Yes, I agree, the language is a bit foul and yes I'm happy that kids are now allowed in pubs, but stop your complaining, it's Saturday night in a local.  What on earth were you thinking?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3945 on: 29 September, 2013, 04:28:29 am »
*yawn* It's times like this I hate travelling.

The only sensible travel which should take place at this hour is finishing an overnight bicycle/train/ferry trip, not waking up to start an all-day journey of tube-tube-plane-plane.

Kim, have you started work on a teleportation device?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruth

« Reply #3946 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:35:49 am »
Oh, where are my spectacles?

Without my specs on, I can't see to find my specs.

This is a bit frustrating.  I keep tripping over things, and I've crawled over every carpet in the house feeling for them, and I still can't find them.

Huh.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3947 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:02:08 am »
Head? :)

Mine usually get down the back of the sofa as taking them off is cheaper than buying an HD tv.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3948 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:42:55 am »
Stupid, stupid parents.  Yes, I agree, the language is a bit foul and yes I'm happy that kids are now allowed in pubs, but stop your complaining, it's Saturday night in a local.  What on earth were you thinking?

I had the same at a rock concert once, for a pretty heavy band.  The greeting of 'Hello London, are you having a f*ckin good time!" is pretty standard.  The kid was at least 11 or 12, and mummy put her hands over his ears and tutted.  She was having an apoplexy when the beer

I'm sure he hears worse than that in the playground.

Ruth

« Reply #3949 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:44:16 am »
Head? :)

Mine usually get down the back of the sofa as taking them off is cheaper than buying an HD tv.

They had fallen down the back of the bedside table.  Skinny black frames tangled up with black power cords from the radio and light - the perfect disguise.