Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624617 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7900 on: 10 July, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »
Next year in Warszawa...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7901 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:05:35 am »
I have had very very little sleep this weekend.

Another teenage (well, they are 20 now) party. Only 11 of them, but it seemed like  a horde, mostly because it rained and hence they mostly stayed in the house. I retreated to the bedroom at about 10:30 with a stack of books.

They were so loud. Finally got to sleep about 6 am. Woke about 8:30. They were still going but had moved to the garden. They finally quietened down about 9:30, most of them asleep.

Did they clear up? Did they fuck. Nope, they thanked me for letting them have the party there and buggered off. 3 hours of clearing up and cleaning. Then a trip to the tip hauling two crates of cans and bottles.

The step-daughter woke about 4:30 in the afternoon and enquired "was there any clearing up to do?" when I tersely replied "yes, lots", she was apologetic. Not really a lot to say to that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7902 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:34:38 am »
Not really grumbling. Just don't enjoy placating the French fiscal authorities with boilerplate'n'split-hair company reports.

At least we had a quiet night, thanks to Portugal.  When France beat Germany last Thursday we were still recovering from taking the Inlaw Paw to hosp in the wee smalls and the godawful racket of horns & sirens into the night wasn't the lullaby we needed.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7903 on: 11 July, 2016, 12:54:02 pm »

Another teenage (well, they are 20 now) party. Only 11 of them, but it seemed like  a horde, mostly because it rained and hence they mostly stayed in the house. I retreated to the bedroom at about 10:30 with a stack of books.

They were so loud. Finally got to sleep about 6 am. Woke about 8:30. They were still going but had moved to the garden. They finally quietened down about 9:30, most of them asleep.

Did they clear up? Did they fuck. Nope, they thanked me for letting them have the party there and buggered off. 3 hours of clearing up and cleaning. Then a trip to the tip hauling two crates of cans and bottles.

The step-daughter woke about 4:30 in the afternoon and enquired "was there any clearing up to do?" when I tersely replied "yes, lots", she was apologetic. Not really a lot to say to that.
Next time, they who party do the clear-up, or pay for someone else to do it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7904 on: 11 July, 2016, 01:01:09 pm »

Next time, they who party do the clear-up, or pay for someone else to do it.
I do need to find a solution for this. Need to talk to the sensible ones. I think before-party designated cleaners is the only way to go. It's 2-3 times a year, which doesn't sound like much, but I'm finding that I'm buying booze for the party as well. I didn't expect them to drink the whole bottle of rum that stepdaughter wanted (one guest brought a bottle as well - that also got drunk).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7905 on: 11 July, 2016, 05:11:37 pm »
Can't you just say "no, find somewhere else"?  :hand:

You're clearly upset by their behaviour, so you've got to let them know that it's not acceptable, or it'll just carry on.  I appreciate that you might have feelings of "at least they're under my roof so I can keep them (vaguely) under control", so it's not clear-cut, but you have the right to your own peace in your own home and 20 is plenty old enough to know that they ought to respect that.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7906 on: 11 July, 2016, 06:21:17 pm »
I'm horrified at the mess, inconvenience and lack of responsibility taken by your teens in parties Mr C.

Admittedly my friends and I tended to have our parties in the absence of parents due to my ex's parents living in Hong Kong 9 months of the year, Friend B and my parents being away a lot. But in many ways that meant we felt we had enhanced responsibilities to setup, not piss off neighbours, not break valuables and tidy up after. Valuables moved to nogo zones. Friends had tidy houses which had to be restored to suitable spotlessness, ex's house got vacuumed before cos shithole.

There was always a core of 4-6 of us at least who set up and tidied up afterwards. Sometimes ppl had to piss off early the next day cos strict-parents, religious stuff or jobs but we always made sure there were several tidiers "before parents came home". Bottles went into one bag for recycling, cans into another for recycling and binbag for the rest and put outside ready for bin day -- the morning after. I don't remember making hideous mess although probably would have tidied at 'endish' of party if the family were around. We also washed up/dishwashered, wiped up, vacuumed inevitable crisp crumbs and stuff. Took less than an hour cos we'd all help.

We also bought our own food, I made my ex bring double cos he ate so much and we had a policy of not leaving people out of food or pocket, especially as some of us/families did not have much money to spare.

« Reply #7907 on: 12 July, 2016, 08:12:05 am »
I made the suggestion that there be designated clearers; step-daughter made counter suggestion that MrsC and I go away for two days, leaving her and her brother in charge of house so that they are responsible for clearing. She seems to think that would be fair, since they'd have no choice other than to clear up.

It didn't seem to cross her mind that requiring us to hand over the house for two days is also a huge imposition.

It does have merits, I could go and visit one or the other of my kids for a couple of days. If I were up to cycling anywhere I'd take it as a golden opportunity/excuse to go for a weekend tour. I guess I could manage a weekend walk/camp somewhere.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7908 on: 12 July, 2016, 10:51:53 am »
Bloody bank. Wanted to send my daughter 500€ for her birthday but had to add her P.O. account IBAN to my list to do it. Bank's rules won't allow the transfer for another 3 days now, presumably while their computers check it. Twerps.

« Reply #7909 on: 12 July, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »
I'm horrified at the mess, inconvenience and lack of responsibility taken by your teens in parties Mr C.

Admittedly my friends and I tended to have our parties in the absence of parents ...
This was quite common when I was a teenager. Teenagers who had temporarily absent parents would throw a party (I did it). Whoever crashed out for the night assisted in clearing up when they woke. If anyone failed to respect the house (rare), the party-thrower could call on the help of other party-goers to talk to & if necessary evict the miscreant.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7910 on: 12 July, 2016, 12:57:18 pm »
I partook in a party years ago, when friends folks went away. We were sure that this would be a test on how his responsibilities had grown up. We trashed the house, food, crisps, fags (yes youth smoked a lot back then) empty bottles, dirty foot prints etc etc. At about 6am we stared to clean up, polished the house down. By 10am when his folks got home, it looked like a show house. You could see the mum scanning the living room for any broken or missing bits. It was only when we asked the dad if he could help us with taking a few bottles to the shop for refund. That they figured out how mad the party had been, because the utility room was full. I can't remember how many but I remember the dad had to do two journeys to the recycling shop, with a very packed car.

One good thing about refundable bottles. Among my friends it has always been, who ever hold the party kept the bottles, which often was a nice little earner. At the very least would pay for the host next piss up :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #7911 on: 13 July, 2016, 11:46:32 pm »
Bloody bastards who chew gum & then spew it out onto the pavement.  The heel of one of my favourite blue suede chukkas is now contaminated, as is the floor of my flat  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7912 on: 14 July, 2016, 12:00:58 am »
I think they come from Peterborough.  For some reason the pavements there are more chewing gum than untainted tarmac.

« Reply #7913 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:59:05 am »
I think they come from Peterborough.  For some reason the pavements there are more chewing gum than untainted tarmac.
It's how the locals repair potholes
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7914 on: 16 July, 2016, 11:01:12 am »
Grumble 1.  I booked the last week in October off, planning to go to Rome.   Didn't realise this is half term & the airlines have stuck their prices up ££.

Grumble 2.  Flights from Manchester are awkwardly early, that could be an expensive taxi ride, unless I trust that the 03:38 train is running.

I may need to re-arrange this...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7915 on: 16 July, 2016, 01:39:51 pm »
10 mile bus and tram journey from SW London to SE London took 2 hours and 40 minutes!

It's bad enough that normally it takes 1 hr 40 min!

The extra hour was because two bus stops were closed, I had to walk for 20 min to one that was open. Then 2 buses arrived which I missed by 30 sec because I had 2 heavy bags and couldn't run for the bus. I had to wait 30 min then another 2 arrived! This bus normally runs 4 per hour.

Ridiculous.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7916 on: 16 July, 2016, 02:21:21 pm »
I can just imagine what my parents would have said if we'd told em to go away to let us have a part *laughs* but if you trust offspring to handle it and it's not a hassle, maybe that's the trick to try.  I know my parents had broken up a neighbour teen's party when they were first in our house cos someone got out of control and my big beardy dad was the perfect "grownup" to deal with drunk and nasty teen. It helps most of my friends were sensible and my ex is even bigger than my dad so stupid oiks really did think twice about causing havoc. I also knew that if needed I could call the police and I wouldn't be in trouble for doing so as this was parental advice. 

« Reply #7917 on: 17 July, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »
andrewc: check out the (night) trains. At the half term just gone Miss Dans and I got to Venice at a civilised time, with less hassle and for similar money to a flight.

essexian

« Reply #7918 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:08:07 am »
CBH and I have been together for coming on 28 years. So, you would have thought we know each other quite well by now eh….

Well yesterday for the first time ever she came along to cheer me home at the end of a cycling event: the Great Weston ride which went between Bristol and Weston Super Mere via as many buggering hills as the organiser could find.. and yes, there are quite a few!

Anyway, I texted my beloved when I was 7 miles out giving her my arrival time, which I hit with 60 seconds accuracy. Did I see CBH’s smiling face on the line…. Well only just as she was rushing back to wave me home. It seems that CBH has no clue what I look like on a bike and had headed off a couple of minutes earlier to congratulate another bloke who was, like me, wearing a red and white top and riding a white bike. She had mistaken him for me!

28 years!!! 28 years!!!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7919 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:17:37 am »
Is it not the case that you're rather more svelte than you have been for the past few of those 28 years?  Maybe you've temporarily confounded the recognition circuits :)

(There are some old photos of my kids where I only recognise them as my kids because of the clothes they are wearing.  And I gave birth to those humans!)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7920 on: 18 July, 2016, 09:59:52 am »
CBH and I have been together for coming on 28 years. So, you would have thought we know each other quite well by now eh….

Well yesterday for the first time ever she came along to cheer me home at the end of a cycling event: the Great Weston ride which went between Bristol and Weston Super Mere via as many buggering hills as the organiser could find.. and yes, there are quite a few!

Anyway, I texted my beloved when I was 7 miles out giving her my arrival time, which I hit with 60 seconds accuracy. Did I see CBH’s smiling face on the line…. Well only just as she was rushing back to wave me home. It seems that CBH has no clue what I look like on a bike and had headed off a couple of minutes earlier to congratulate another bloke who was, like me, wearing a red and white top and riding a white bike. She had mistaken him for me!

28 years!!! 28 years!!!

When I did Mt. Ventoux in 2007 the missus was up top waiting with her camera. I rode straight past her unnoticed, circled back and said hello, then had to go down to the last bend and come up again so that she could get a few shots.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7921 on: 18 July, 2016, 07:24:08 pm »
Was just slogging happily up the C2C path out of Cleator Moor when I heard a big bang. Somehow a rear spoke seems to have snapped half way down the spoke thread in the nipple?!

Well it gives me an excuse to try out my new 105/Open Pro wheels I suppose
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7922 on: 19 July, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »
18 hours in the saddle on Saturday/Sunday, and my arse was absolutely fine, but my sports bra has left weeping weals around my torso that are starting to really itch and sting.  Probly because I was so hot and sticky.

It really hurts.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7923 on: 20 July, 2016, 01:17:19 pm »
I've never had that problem from a bra, but have had that from other clothing items, when running and walking.

Vaseline really helps. Seals off the weeping sore from sweat and suchlike without inappropriately stopping the wound from getting on with it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7924 on: 20 July, 2016, 02:09:31 pm »
The submammary crease is a VERY sweaty beastie!
I seemed to do OK with unwired cotton/lycra bra tops but I am but modestly endowed.
I once turned a hitherto white bra BLUE wearing it under a brand new Corrinne Dennis cotton lycra jersey, in weather similar to that which we're having in That London right now. I was not impressed.

GWS Ruthie!