Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624691 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10100 on: 29 June, 2018, 11:23:31 am »
If your Farce Sillities are anything like ours then I predict them putting bottles of water next to the toilets and then closing the case as resolved.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #10101 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:20:22 pm »
There has been an email suggesting that if matters don't improve they'll ask the local fire brigade to top the tanks up..... :facepalm:

OK, it's a bit warm , but not exceptional...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #10102 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:43:30 pm »
under desk spaghetti  >:(

new work laptop yesterday (another Dull  >:() with a different docking station. Cue ten minutes of dust and "where the fcuk does that go?"
Docking station? You lucky bastard. The preventer of information services here decreed a few years ago now that we can not have docking stations so we all have to spend a few minutes in the morning plugging in all the cables.

Forgot to add, new docking station is so new that it has 1 HDMI port and two other new funky display ports. My 10+ YO VGA monitor therefore needs to be plugged directly into the laptop, somewhat reducing the utility of a docking station
i have a docking station with only HDMI port(s) and a display with VGA and some other thing. (DVI?).  Anyhoo, I have an adaptor which changes HDMI electrons into VGA electrons. This is plugged permanently into my docking station and works a treat.

We ended up with these...

https://www.ebuyer.com/406801-kensington-usb-3-0-docking-station-k33972eu

So only needed to connect power and one USB to the laptop. Monitors were VGA and HDMI compatible so we could have dual screens plus the laptop, a boon for PDF documents.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10103 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:46:41 pm »
an adapter appeared in the post

Grumble #2 - the envelope used was big enough fo rme to take on tour this summer as an emergency bivvy bag
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10104 on: 29 June, 2018, 03:48:38 pm »
"48-hour delivery", they promise, then take 3 days to pack & dispatch the stuff.  Their mother were a weasel.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10105 on: 29 June, 2018, 04:04:53 pm »
There has been an email suggesting that if matters don't improve they'll ask the local fire brigade to top the tanks up..... :facepalm:

OK, it's a bit warm , but not exceptional...

There's a fire engine outside & a hosepipe coming into our centre courtyard.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10106 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:42:19 pm »
It's not what you know, it's who...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10107 on: 01 July, 2018, 11:15:19 am »
Morrisons: It's now July - at least three months after Easter, so why are you still trying flog me Easter eggs on your online shopping site as a 'flash sale'?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10108 on: 01 July, 2018, 11:35:02 am »
Thunderbox, why are you apparently downloading all my e-mails from the server to the local machine?  You know, the local machine THAT ALREADY HAS COPIES OF ALL THE E-EMAILS ON IT?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10109 on: 01 July, 2018, 01:31:30 pm »
I’m on a train packed with rowdy festivalgoers. Ah, the joy.

« Reply #10110 on: 01 July, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »
LBS person, mudguard sizes are the size of the tyre it’s designed for. Even I know that. In some ways I’m glad you were out of stock, as while a local shop is good a somewhat local and competent shop seems better.

« Reply #10111 on: 01 July, 2018, 01:41:39 pm »
Related to that, putting dynamo lights on and removing a broken battery light from my mudguard has led to new mudguards and a new brake block holder. And if I don’t finish soon a weekend without a ride.

ian

« Reply #10112 on: 03 July, 2018, 12:04:06 pm »
So, the local council. I griped about the green waste bin lorry getting stuck the other week. They've since been back five times and failed five times. Finally – because there is apparently no one at the local district council in charge of rubbish collections (that's what they said) – I have to deal directly with their contractor, I get a response that blames a car for being parked in the way as they're using the same lorry as previously.

Now the driver told me it was a new lorry, and I have a picture of a shiny new lorry, with shiny new number plates that clearly date the lorry to 2018. Which I've forwarded. Strangely no response. Why lie, I've no idea.

I have pointed out that the car they're blaming is always parked there (it's on the apex of the t-junction – it's a private street, no idea what the parking regulations are in that situation, it's a bit of dumb place to park but better than the junction itself were we may one day get unenforced double-yellows). And the lorry is new. There's no point keep telling me you've reported the car (to who and what are they going to do?). Seriously guys, if parking is a problem and you can't get a bin lorry around the corner, then the contractor, the local and council council need to work together to sort it out – deal with the issue, get an appropriate vehicle, I don't really care how, it's not my problem. No, I'm not reporting parking problems, I'm not a traffic warden. I'm mostly just being a good citizen, because if you can't get the bin lorry around there, you'll probably struggle with a fire engine. I've already requested the double-yellows etc. It doesn't benefit me (other than occasional annoyance), I live around the corner, I won't end up BBQing while they have to move someone's car off the corner.

It just seems a bit useless, none of the organizations seems willing to work together and it is always someone else's job or reponsibility. I'm paying over a £1000/month for this. I bounced it all to the local county councillor (who also lives up the road).

ian

« Reply #10113 on: 03 July, 2018, 09:04:52 pm »
And even with a photo of a bin lorry with 2018 plates stuck on the junction, they still claim it's the same vehicle they've been using for 'several years' and have no plans to use a different vehicle. I'm really not sure it's cost effective to keep sending the same vehicle over-and-over in a series of failed mission to empty people's green waste bins. Yes, the normal bin lorry does make it, presumably it has rear wheel steering or a better driver. I don't really know, but then it's not really my problem. Why don't you ask them and not me? You're the same fucking company.

Is it just me or a lot of people not just stupid, but intensely, brilliantly stupid, so stupid that it actually hurts your head just contemplating the sheer breadth and depth of their incomprehension of basic facts and logic?

Reminds me of the headteacher of the local school who told me that 'he didn't see any sign of bad behaviour' while he stood there and watched the kids. Honestly, these people are among us, the great counterbalance, for every Einstein there's a million of these halfwits. I suppose it explains Brexit and Trump.

« Reply #10114 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:30:40 am »
LBS: I emailed you a while ago, as you were away. I called and spoke to your colleague who said you'd do the job. Two weeks later, now you're back, I call you again & you say you're not interested. Would have been better said three weeks ago, eh?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10115 on: 04 July, 2018, 11:06:57 am »
Just how am I supposed to get the information to make a decision about this project if everyone I need to talk to is constantly on bloody conference calls. they're a pain in the bloody arse!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10116 on: 04 July, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »
 :(. Looks like the area of rain currently moving up over Cardiff and S. Wales is going to miss us by several miles.  Bugger!
I've even put washing on the line to encourage it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10117 on: 04 July, 2018, 05:07:56 pm »
:(. Looks like the area of rain currently moving up over Cardiff and S. Wales is going to miss us by several miles.  Bugger!

Light a barbecue?  Wash a car?  Go for a bike ride?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10118 on: 04 July, 2018, 05:12:12 pm »
Water the garden? Paint an outside wall? Cut some hay?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #10119 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:20:00 pm »
No, mothership product monkey, averaging the averages of several groups isn't the same as averaging all the individual items from those groups. Have an apposite d'oh!

« Reply #10120 on: 05 July, 2018, 10:11:04 am »
Morrisons: It's now July - at least three months after Easter, so why are you still trying flog me Easter eggs on your online shopping site as a 'flash sale'?
And now they're offering me Halloween stuff!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10121 on: 05 July, 2018, 06:12:46 pm »

Light a barbecue?  Wash a car?  Go for a bike ride?

I gave up today and turned a hose onto the lawn.
*Awaits inevitable monsoon*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10122 on: 07 July, 2018, 12:04:47 pm »
Yesterday morning at Forest Hill Station the 06:24 to Highbury and Islington was going nowhere.
'Don't know whether this'll be here for 10 minutes, one hour or two hours - you are best off finding alternative transport' was the message from the platform staff.

Of course, they don't announce this until after I've oystered myself onto the platform.
'I'm going to get charged £5.50 for this' I pointed out as I attempted egress.
'You'll have to phone TfL for a refund' came the reply.

0343 222 1234 is the number
Charged at 60p per minute from a BT landline, with a minimum charge of 60p , plus a £1.00 connection fee, only they haven't enough people to answer the volume of calls they receive,  so they put you on hold.
Do they answer within the next 8 minutes or so?
Do they f*ck! >:(

Making it a bit pointless trying to claim back the £5.50 they've fleeced me of, for taking me nowhere.
And then charging me more,to listen to their muzak.
Bastids!

« Reply #10123 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:43:53 am »
Fairly sure you can ask for oyster refunds online - incomplete journeys show up in your journey history, and you can correct the record.

(At any rate, that's true for contactless travel - I can't see even TfL having it different for oyster though.)

« Reply #10124 on: 08 July, 2018, 09:36:22 am »
You can. But after a severe dig around, I couldn't find an option which takes into account that you entered and exited from the same station.