Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624173 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17025 on: 22 January, 2024, 01:53:13 pm »
TeX is still around...

Indeed, but people who aren't neck deep in mathematics tend to look at you like you're some kind of 1337 h4xx0r if you suggest it.

Markdown, for all its limitations, works quite well for documentation that's going to be processed electronically, and the trivial learning curve makes it relatively popular.

It doesn't help that Windows doesn't come with a decent text editor.  (And a lot of text editors are very programming-oriented, to the point of lacking basic features like a spillchucker.)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #17026 on: 22 January, 2024, 02:16:58 pm »
TeX is still around...

Indeed, but people who aren't neck deep in mathematics tend to look at you like you're some kind of 1337 h4xx0r if you suggest it.

Markdown, for all its limitations, works quite well for documentation that's going to be processed electronically, and the trivial learning curve makes it relatively popular.

It doesn't help that Windows doesn't come with a decent text editor.  (And a lot of text editors are very programming-oriented, to the point of lacking basic features like a spillchucker.)

BBEdit is my choice for all text related tasks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17027 on: 22 January, 2024, 02:21:15 pm »

Just realized that I've been using TextPad for <gasp> 30 years, though a while back I got the 2009 update.  And it does have a spellchecker, though I never bothered downloading the dictionaries.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17028 on: 22 January, 2024, 06:57:07 pm »
“Drat and, moreover, fiddlesticks!” exclaimed Mr Larrington, on discovering that his hand drill will not accommodate a 10mm bit.  Now I have to dig out the anbaric one and the extension lead and I hate everybody.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17029 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:03:28 pm »
“Drat and, moreover, fiddlesticks!” exclaimed Mr Larrington, on discovering that his hand drill will not accommodate a 10mm bit.  Now I have to dig out the anbaric one and the extension lead and I hate everybody.
My bold.
A bit (Did you see what I did there?) optimistic IMHO.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17030 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:16:17 pm »
It does fit in the 'ole but is too big for the grippy things to, er, grip.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #17031 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:21:41 pm »
Get thyself a late crimbo present: an anbaric hole-maker which works on voles stored inna can, un-tethering yourself from the extension-lead of doom.

« Reply #17032 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:43:53 pm »
It does fit in the 'ole but is too big for the grippy things to, er, grip.

Where’s the brace and, um, bit when you need it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #17033 on: 22 January, 2024, 07:50:36 pm »
You're gonna need a  bigger boat drill

« Reply #17034 on: 22 January, 2024, 08:04:24 pm »
Get thyself a late crimbo present: an anbaric hole-maker which works on voles stored inna can, un-tethering yourself from the extension-lead of doom.
I endorse this product or sentiment.
About a year ago I moved from my totally worn out 10 mm battery drill to a 13 mm one with a brushless motor, which is smaller and lighter and takes the same batteries.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17035 on: 22 January, 2024, 08:43:27 pm »

I've got one.  Somewhere.  My recollection is that it was A Bit Shit when last it was used and doubt the ensuing twenty-plus year gap will have done the flattery much good.  Even if I can find the charger.

« Reply #17036 on: 22 January, 2024, 11:01:35 pm »
It's (often) fairly easy to change chucks between drills if the 'ole is the only concern.

(there'll be a left hand thread screw in the bottom of the chuck)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #17037 on: 22 January, 2024, 11:06:46 pm »
Today's list of Rather Annoying People:

1.  People who merge cells in Excel
2.  People who use Excel because the document they want is in landscape not portrait.
3.  People in general

People who "use" excel and "sort" incomplete sheets of data

Filter, people. Don't bloody sort unless you are 100% certain you aren't going to fuck up the entire logic..
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17038 on: 23 January, 2024, 12:45:15 pm »
Wibbly anbarism meant I was woken repeatedly by lights rebooting / lemmings / fire panel / every fucking burglar alarm in Silly Oak from 7-9am this morning.  Which meant barakta was woken repeatedly by me flinching, getting up to investigate and bury my head under a pillow.  I now feel like death, and she appears to have resorted to Decaf.

« Reply #17039 on: 23 January, 2024, 01:11:04 pm »
It's (often) fairly easy to change chucks between drills if the 'ole is the only concern.

Indeed it is and it's a wheeze which I executed a year or two back.  Why supply an electric drill with a hefty motor and only a 3/8ths inch chuck?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17040 on: 23 January, 2024, 03:29:21 pm »

Indeed it is and it's a wheeze which I executed a year or two back.  Why supply an electric drill with a hefty motor and only a 3/8ths inch chuck?

It helps them to sell larger drill bits with a reduced sized shank to fit the chuck.   

So I'm told the size of the "jaws" in the chuck need to cover a wide range of drill bit sizes and a chuck that takes, say 12mm, safely will probably not close down far enough to grip a 2mm drill.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #17041 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:18:29 pm »
I've a wheel brace that takes ½" bits. It has the usual 1:4 ratio but the drive wheel can be slid out and repositioned to give 1:1- I've used it for hole saws when I didn't have stringless drill and there was no voles piped in.
A wheel brace is very useful for starting a bit on a slippery surface such as tiles. If the whell is just rocked slightly (I hold the wheel directly) the bit doesn't 'walk'.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17042 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:58:55 pm »
Carpet 'shopping' online is even more dull than tile shopping.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #17043 on: 23 January, 2024, 07:19:12 pm »
Quote from: Regulator
SharePoint is the IT version of Marmite...
Beg to differ.  Some people like Marmite.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #17044 on: 23 January, 2024, 09:10:48 pm »
Does anyone know what Sharepoint is actually supposed to do or how it works? It's sort of like a shared drive, but then in different views, it's like some kind of intranet, and in other views, some weird kind of document management system. What the fuck is it?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #17045 on: 23 January, 2024, 09:26:48 pm »
It's definitely a document manglement tool.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17046 on: 23 January, 2024, 09:27:42 pm »
According to the colleagues who set things up in Sharepoint after The Event it's canine cojones, according to those who actually have to use it it's a pile of stinking ordure.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17047 on: 23 January, 2024, 09:36:07 pm »
I don't mind using SharePoint if I can sync the drive to my folders in explorer. If I can only use it through a browser I hate it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #17048 on: 23 January, 2024, 09:43:39 pm »
I just don't understand it. Or why it appears to have fucked Onedrive and birthed some kind of bastard software stepchildren.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17049 on: 24 January, 2024, 12:23:05 am »
The problem is that most of its functionality lies hidden in the developers options and most corporations don’t allow most none Sharepoint specific developers access to the developers options. I know this because I bought books to try and learn how to become a power user, only to find out that unless you are a fully certified Sharepoint developer you can’t do anything beyond share files and change the way you view those files.

How someone high up in IT procurement decided that it was a project management tool with functionality that replaces MS Project I really don’t know. But it doesn’t.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.