Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 841543 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #250 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:09:31 am »
Not grammar, but I have noticed that even within these hallowed portals there is a trend of spelling the word 'lose' as 'loose'.  Please make it stop.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #251 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:13:08 am »
Under way, or underway?

Two words, orone?
Does it really matter?

Disc uss.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

border-rider

« Reply #252 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:16:25 am »
Not grammar, but I have noticed that even within these hallowed portals there is a trend of spelling the word 'lose' as 'loose'.  Please make it stop.

I must admit I have to consciously think about that one and I suspect I get it wrong from time to time.  I know perfectly well the correct usage at an intellectual level, but for some reason it's not as hard-wired into my language brain as it should be.

« Reply #253 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:43:43 am »

Is there any harm in trying to do something the right way? ;)

I appreciate your sentiment but, is there a right way?   

Rules evolved over time but human beings have communicated verbally for far longer, and, in many more varieties than the written languages portray.   Only last week I struggled to understand a local Orkney ferryman and yet his crew mate could understand every word.   Go to most corners of the UK, most regional housing estates, shopping centres, even schools and universities, and you'll find that the structure and use of words, phrases and punctuation differs from the codified set.     

As I understand it the rules are supposed to try and make it possible for example, for a Cornishman and a Shetlander to gain the same understanding.   However, even written English can be difficult to interpret as indicated by the fact that professions such as Law created extra rules to remove ambiguity within the profession.   

The rules do not reflect conversational English, the type of English used by many on this forum.   

Live and let live.

« Reply #254 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:46:24 am »

Some of us may know the difference, even though occasionally using the wrong one due to slight dyslexia.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

border-rider

« Reply #255 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:49:42 am »
I agree with the posters who've mentioned the diversity of spoken English and the space for people to express themselves and play with the rules, but isn't all that a different thing from people who just can't be bothered to put sentences together properly ?

Though that argument doesn't hold up against the evolution of language one, I suppose.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #256 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:52:20 am »
The rules do not reflect conversational English, the type of English used by many on this forum.   

Yes they do. Most of us deviate from the rules to some extent much of the time,but most of our words, and many of our sentences, stick to the rules.

If we didn't you would have gibberish.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #257 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:57:55 am »

Yes they do. Most of us deviate from the rules to some extent much of the time,but most of our words, and many of our sentences, stick to the rules.

I have seen posts (on other forums) where the language used plays so little heed to the rules that it's impossible to extract the meaning.  Not here though, I don't think.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #258 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:06:01 am »
I agree with the posters who've mentioned the diversity of spoken English and the space for people to express themselves and play with the rules, but isn't all that a different thing from people who just can't be bothered to put sentences together properly ?

Though that argument doesn't hold up against the evolution of language one, I suppose.

I blame Australian Soaps (Neighbours & co).

Tracylene: "I went. To the shops. And bought some beans. And then I walked home. And I got wet.  Because it started. Raining."
All said with a dreaded rising inflection at the end of each fragment.

I've had strong words with the Mini Manoteas for 'not speaking in sentences' / thinking about what they were going to say before they said it. Thankfully they've grown out of it now.

Reactionary? Moi?

iakobski

« Reply #259 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:11:46 am »

With this and a few similar "errors" we are witnessing the changing of the language. On web pages and forums it is so often wrong it may well already be the majority. Now, when I see the word "lose" I get a mental jolt like when a word is wrong, then I realise it's actually correct. Even the BBC website regularly uses loose for lose and lead when they mean led.

Things like that won't be picked up by spellcheckers and they even follow spelling rules, just the wrong ones. If you make loose rhyme with choose then you're stuck when you want to say something is loose. It's an anomoly though, why doesn't lose rhyme with close?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #260 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:18:07 am »
Or 'rough' with 'bough'. But that's an entirely different 'kettle of fish'.

"I'm going to have a row with my wife!"

"… but on the lake". What a pickle our language can snare us in type-thing.

Stop Rigby. Stop!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #261 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:20:17 am »

"I'm going to have a row with my wife!"

Oops upside your head
I say oops upside your head.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #262 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:28:44 am »
Association fallacy alert!  ;)

I take it that that means that you don't agree?

There was nothing of substance to agree or disagree with. You tried to make an association with something that appears superficially similar but in fact has nothing to do with what we were talking about. I don't think there's a lot more to say on this thread anyway. It is now starting to repeat itself...

« Reply #263 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:41:37 am »

I'd suggest that the codification of language followed on from the spoken word and thus it is the codification which is limited in structure rather than the spoken word.  

« Reply #264 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:14:22 am »

...If we didn't you would have gibberish.

I'd suggest that the codification of language followed on from the spoken word and thus it is the codification which is limited in structure rather than the spoken word.  

Perfect example!

border-rider

« Reply #265 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:26:57 am »

...If we didn't you would have gibberish.

Perfect example!

Yes indeed.  Without the Oxford comma after "word" it makes no sense whatsoever ;)

I'd suggest that the codification of language followed on from the spoken word, and thus it is the codification which is limited in structure rather than the spoken word. 

« Reply #266 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:31:42 am »
Thanks chaps.   ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #267 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:32:00 am »
So we've got a choice between codification and cod-ification.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #268 on: 03 July, 2009, 11:12:57 am »
Even the BBC website regularly uses loose for lose and lead when they mean led.

Things like that won't be picked up by spellcheckers and they even follow spelling rules, just the wrong ones.
I have no evidence, but I'm pretty sure spellcheckers are to blame for this.

Writers infer correctness because their spelling has been passed "OK".
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #269 on: 03 July, 2009, 11:16:36 am »
So we've got a choice between ...

Ooh, ooh, there's another one!

I would prefer
"So we have a choice between ... "

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #270 on: 03 July, 2009, 11:22:41 am »
So we've got a choice between ...

Ooh, ooh, there's another one!

I would prefer
"So we have a choice between ... "

;)

Isn't "there's another one" tautological?  Since "there's" (there is) is singular?  So you could say "There's another."  ;)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

border-rider

« Reply #271 on: 03 July, 2009, 11:25:30 am »
Should it be:

We can choose between...?

;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #272 on: 03 July, 2009, 11:58:38 am »
This thread is turning into one of extreme excellence!  ;D ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #273 on: 03 July, 2009, 12:23:44 pm »
Twenty20 could be accused of being poor grammar: tautology.

An example of true tautology would be a two-wheeled bicycle. Change one element of that and you get an oxymoron, such as a three-wheeled bicycle or a two-wheeled trike. By contrast a Twenty or a Twenty30 would be not so much oxymoron as one-sided match :D

Oxymoron: spot cream for chavs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #274 on: 03 July, 2009, 01:25:13 pm »
a Twenty30 would be not so much oxymoron as one-sided match :D

...or something to do with the Duckworth Lewis method.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."