Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 839279 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #600 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:45:29 pm »
Oh look, we are back to colleague announcements ;D

Ah! I knew I couldn't possibly have been the first to bring it up.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #601 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:57:14 am »
Some cow's twat on the news last night said that she'd "never seen the weather as worse as this".  I'm afraid I got rather cross.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #602 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:03:41 am »
Well, maybe she hasn't! ;)

*runs*
Getting there...

« Reply #603 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:23:18 am »
Passing a local bowling club the other day I noticed a sign saying, "Bicycles will be banned from the bowling green". Shame it was shut as I was going to ask when the ban came into place and would they be getting a new sign made up. I also resisted the temptation to do some last minute wheelspins and doughnuts on the bowling green O:-)
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

iakobski

« Reply #604 on: 12 January, 2010, 01:22:33 pm »
Not exactly a grammar cringe, but this is the best place for it.

Why do Radio 4 presenters keep saying "temporally" when they mean "temporarily"? It's not just a pronunciation issue - I don't care when they say "Tempory" because it's clear they meant temporary - the point is that "temporally" is an actual word and it doesn't mean the same as "temporarily". I've heard it three times this week and it's driving me nuts.

« Reply #605 on: 31 January, 2010, 12:51:58 pm »

There is no noone.

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #606 on: 31 January, 2010, 12:55:18 pm »
Not exactly a grammar cringe, but this is the best place for it.

Why do Radio 4 presenters keep saying "temporally" when they mean "temporarily"? It's not just a pronunciation issue - I don't care when they say "Tempory" because it's clear they meant temporary - the point is that "temporally" is an actual word and it doesn't mean the same as "temporarily". I've heard it three times this week and it's driving me nuts.
It's like the way Americans use "momentarily" where we would use "presently".  "I will do it momentarily" means "I won't do it for long" in British English, but "I will do it very soon" in American English.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #607 on: 31 January, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »
At my sister's this week I dipped into The Lynne Truss Book*.

I confess I learned a lot and found it well written and entertaining. Is this the beginning of the end for me?

*For it shall bring bad luck upon those who utter its full name.
I also have David Crystal's reply to That Book, which deliberately has an almost identical appearance.
The thing drummed into us as linguists was always to be descriptive rather than prescriptive, and that "all texts are of equal value"
Bollocks. While there is indeed great scope in language development in moving on, with such variants of English as Aussie and Singlish, the primary function of language is communication. If there are no rules, we end up with potential ambiguity or incomprehension, such as in the temporally/temporarily dichotomy mentioned above. There is a fundamental difference between a child who writes an essay in txtspk because they are having fun, and one who writes in txtspk because that is all they know. Linguistic change is not the same thing as ignorance or laziness, and those who rant on about "grammer Natzis" fail to see a point that has been stressed many times here: if you turn up for a job dressed like a scruff, the message you are sending is not one of willingness to make an effort. If you are too lazy to check your grammar and spelling (typos happen; such is life) your message gets lost in the white noise of semiliteracy.

We are now,as I have mentioned before, in a world where a GCSE A* in French is awarded to someone who cannot conjugate the verb "to be" in the present tense.

« Reply #608 on: 31 January, 2010, 07:51:00 pm »

It's like the way Americans use "momentarily" where we would use "presently".  "I will do it momentarily" means "I won't do it for long" in British English, but "I will do it very soon" in American English.

Of course, as you might suspect, the British usage has changed over the years, whereas the American hasn't.

« Reply #609 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:42:32 pm »
We are now,as I have mentioned before, in a world where a GCSE A* in French is awarded to someone who cannot conjugate the verb "to be" in the present tense.
In that case, I want my old O-level upgraded.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #610 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:50:40 pm »
In that case, I want my old O-level upgraded.

English or French O-Level?

« Reply #611 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »
French. English was grade 1, which I think means it can only be downgraded under the current grading scheme.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #612 on: 31 January, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »
Sitting opposite me on the train today were a well-spoken couple. The wife was engossed in 'The Lady' whilst the husband droned on about his bunions and corns. After a while he stopped chatting and sat in silence except for a few loud yawns. The wife then enquired if he was feeling ill, to which he replied, "I'm fine, but I'm rather wearisome today."

;D

I laughed and got a very stern look from the wife. Mind you, he was right!
Abnormal for Norfolk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #613 on: 01 February, 2010, 12:41:04 am »
"Second man arrested on suspicion of murdering Polish woman found dead in bathroom"

BBC scrolling headline on their news website just now.

The suspect is alive...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #614 on: 01 February, 2010, 02:57:41 pm »
(sings)

Suspected murderer of Tupac murder suspect
Murdered!

(bows)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #615 on: 01 February, 2010, 05:30:15 pm »
An interesting story in the Canadian News (link swiped from a Slashdot story).  I'm not sure the use of language in the UK's University system is as bad as described in Canada, but I don't see an awful lot of students written work, so I'm probably not in a great position to comment definitively.

As mentioned at the end, it's also a truism that everyone complains that things are no longer what they used to be, and that even Socrates and Plato complained about the degradation in standards.
Actually, it is rocket science.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #616 on: 01 February, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »
*students' written work
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #617 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:13:11 pm »
Omitting the apostrophe in the genitive is acceptable, as long as it is done consistently.

« Reply #618 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »
Indeed. The absence of an apostrophe where one is commonly used or possibly optional is far less of a crime than adding one in where it is not necessary.

The latter ideally punishable by something causing a mild case of death, possibly SHOVEL related.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #619 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:45:27 pm »
Oh yes. Oh so very very yes.  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #620 on: 02 February, 2010, 01:21:07 am »
From the BBC News website...

Girlguiding centenery marked in Royal Mail stamp issue

Why can't the Beeb spell 'centenary'?

I can't say I like the Girlguiding neologism either...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #621 on: 02 February, 2010, 06:34:41 am »
Give it another 100 years and it'll be "Stamps celebrate Beavers".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #622 on: 02 February, 2010, 07:56:12 am »
Give it another 100 years and it'll be "Stamps celebrate Beavers".
You think there'll still be stamps in a hundred years?  It'll be a digital signature or summat that you can download and attach to an email.

C.f. the telegram from the Queen etc...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #623 on: 02 February, 2010, 09:30:32 am »
Indeed. The absence of an apostrophe where one is commonly used or possibly optional is far less of a crime than adding one in where it is not necessary.

The latter ideally punishable by something causing a mild case of death, possibly SHOVEL related.

I have to say I am a keen supporter of your proposal's.
Getting there...

« Reply #624 on: 02 February, 2010, 09:48:42 am »

I have to say I am a keen supporter of your proposal's.

(Ups ante...)

You are a man of principal's I see.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."