Author Topic: PBP Garmin File Upload Issue - Can anyone help?  (Read 18173 times)

Phil W

Re: PBP Garmin File Upload Issue - Can anyone help?
« Reply #50 on: 26 August, 2019, 04:17:32 pm »
Sorted out Diesel's PBP GPX for him.

I used my own web utility https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/ set at 1m accuracy, and retain timestamps and elevation boxes ticked.

Then from the GPX returned I shifted all the timestamps by 1 minute.  This latter part I did on my PC as I don't have an online utility written to do that. I found through experimentation that shifting the times by 1 minute was the minimum for Strava not to reject the ride as duplicate.

Diesel has now reported that he was able to upload the resulting PBP GPX to Strava.

My web utility does not retain power, HR, cadence or other data as that is not its intended purpose.  But if you are just interested in the raw position, timing, and elevation data then it is a route for others.  I believe there are tools to shift the timestamps somewhere online.

Phil W

« Reply #51 on: 26 August, 2019, 05:09:27 pm »
Ok, I've added the ability to add or subtract one minute from all the timestamps in a GPX track.

https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/

In one hit, you will be able to use my web utility to get around Strava duplicate rejection, and simplify the data to the point it doesn't time out. Again if you want to retain power, cadence, HR, electronic shift data data look elsewhere.

Use 1 metre accuracy, retain timestamps and elevation boxes ticked. Choose timestamp shift amount from new dropdown.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #52 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:49:42 pm »
Big thanks to Phil for doing this

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #53 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:25:11 pm »
If you have trouble uploading, pm me and I'll give you my email so I can try to condense your file with my program (it's rather user-unfriendly at the moment).

Zed43 has worked his magic and now my file is uploaded to strava, including power/cad/hr/temp data, and correct start time.

one bug in strava is that for every failed upload attempt it still added to my total mileage, so it shows that i rode almost 5000km more this year than i actually have. i am awaiting for strava's response (the non automated type).

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #54 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:57:03 pm »
zigzag - I had the same issue. Under My Stats on Strava there is a button to Refresh Stats - this solved it for me

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #55 on: 26 August, 2019, 10:23:13 pm »
zigzag - I had the same issue. Under My Stats on Strava there is a button to Refresh Stats - this solved it for me

nice one - refreshing stats solved it for me too - thanks!

« Reply #56 on: 27 August, 2019, 06:20:01 am »

nice one - refreshing stats solved it for me too - thanks!

Sorted for me too. Thanks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #57 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:46:03 am »
Quite some people rode it as one ride without sleep ;), I must admit I had one long beauty sleep after 700K.

The garmin file is 8MB and doesn't want to go through, My fittools created halves are 6.7MB each but sail through fine.

.fit files seem to be pretty damn efficient then. Just noticed the .fit file for last weekend's 300 is 1.8M, where as the GPX is 14M.

I wonder what arbitrary dice roll strava used to decide on the upload limit...

J

I had this problem with strava after a 1000, it's not the file size per se it's their systems ability to process all the data within the file.

If you watch the upload process box carefully enough it gets past the upload of the FIT file pretty easily, but then throws a wobbly when it starts doing Stravaey stuff like looking for segments and working out your "suffer score" from HR (or whatever it's called these days) etc.

Probably why eTrex users in the past haven't had much of a problem uploading it is because all that's in there for them is a load of co-ordinates.

RidewithGPS does less of the wanky piss stuff with the data that's been collected, leaving you to analyse it yourself if your browser can cope with being fed that much...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #58 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:07:37 pm »
what i'm puzzled about is why it managed to upload a much longer ride before (with the extra sensor data as well), but got stuck this time. unless they changed/reduced their timeout limits recently.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #59 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:40:16 pm »
what i'm puzzled about is why it managed to upload a much longer ride before (with the extra sensor data as well), but got stuck this time. unless they changed/reduced their timeout limits recently.

Or maybe they're doing even more of the wanky piss stuff!

Which, tbh, seems quite likely with the way Strava is being run these days.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #60 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:44:11 pm »
Ok, I've added the ability to add or subtract one minute from all the timestamps in a GPX track.

https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/

In one hit, you will be able to use my web utility to get around Strava duplicate rejection, and simplify the data to the point it doesn't time out. Again if you want to retain power, cadence, HR, electronic shift data data look elsewhere.

Use 1 metre accuracy, retain timestamps and elevation boxes ticked. Choose timestamp shift amount from new dropdown.

Similar issues here with the single ride file:

I've taken the .fit file from my elemnt and this uploaded to rwgps from where I extracted a gpx file.

Trying this in Phil's tool resulted in an applocation error from the applet. :(

Phil W

« Reply #61 on: 27 August, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »
282,000 trackpoints in your GPX.  Just a question of running out of allocated CPU and time to process it.  simple-gpx runs on a free platform as a service, so it is what it is. A trackpoint every 4 metres is somewhat excessive :-)

« Reply #62 on: 27 August, 2019, 05:18:14 pm »
A trackpoint every 4 metres is somewhat excessive :-)

I totally agree. I wish the wahoo had a way of reducing the number of samples from 1/sec to something slower.

I found a solution to load the gpx file to mygpsfiles.com and then using their facility to change the number of points and make the slight time adjustment to keep strava happy.

simonp

« Reply #63 on: 27 August, 2019, 05:22:19 pm »
1/sec is pretty standard for recording power etc. Pretty sure TrainerRoad advise against anything else as it messes up analytics.

Currently paying for TrainingPeaks TrainerRoad and Strava. Strava is the only one that has messed up badly. Renewal is next month. Good chance to save a few quid.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #64 on: 27 August, 2019, 06:59:01 pm »
The more I look at what I use strava premium for... Which is basically the Heatmaps and the fitness/freshness graph which I'm sure I can figure out to a similar extent by just going for a walk up a hill at lunch time (I do it most days and seems to be a good indicator of how knackered I am).

The more I think I'll gain from switching to RWGPS premium.

Thought I seem to have just overloaded RWGPS' ability to join rides

simonp

« Reply #65 on: 30 August, 2019, 02:34:12 pm »
1/sec is pretty standard for recording power etc. Pretty sure TrainerRoad advise against anything else as it messes up analytics.

Currently paying for TrainingPeaks TrainerRoad and Strava. Strava is the only one that has messed up badly. Renewal is next month. Good chance to save a few quid.

Strava have now responded to my support request and say they will try a manual upload of the file themselves - if this works then I will be pleased.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #66 on: 30 August, 2019, 08:28:52 pm »
PM me if it doesn't, so far my program to condense from 1/s to 1/3s worked for all .fit files that came directly from a GPS (Strava did not accept the one that came from ridewithgps).

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:11:19 pm »
PM me if it doesn't, so far my program to condense from 1/s to 1/3s worked for all .fit files that came directly from a GPS (Strava did not accept the one that came from ridewithgps).

Thanks - waiting to hear back from them. So far it hasn't appeared. My .fit is merged from a selection of files as I reset the Garmin part-way.

« Reply #68 on: 03 September, 2019, 10:45:57 am »
Bit late to the party on this one, but just to say I had similar problems. I recorded the ride in three parts on my Wahoo. I exported the rides from the Wahoo app as .fit files by syncing them to Dropbox. From there I uploaded the files to fitfiletools and combined them into a single activity. They offer an "upload to Strava" option, which didn't work, so I downloaded the complete .fit file and tried uploading to Strava manually. That looked like it had worked but tripped over on the analysing segments stage, refused to go any further, and told me the activity already existed when I tried again. Next step was to try converting the file to .gpx (I don't ride with a power meter or HRM, and not bothered about temp data) but I couldn't find an online converter that would handle a file that big. So, converted the three individual .fit files to .gpx separately and combined them. Annoyingly that gave me a 25.3MB file which is just over the Strava file upload limit. Downloaded a text editor app that can handle regular expressions, and stripped the last decimal place out of each of the co-ordinates, reducing from 7 to 6 d.p. (excuse to post a link to the XKCD cartoon: https://xkcd.com/2170/  ;D) which brought the file inside the limit and allowed me to upload it. I too had a support call open with Strava which they responded to after about a week to say "we see you've already fixed this yourself"  ::-)

Thanks for the tip on resetting the Strava stats - mine too were showing too many km for the year, and that fixed it.

« Reply #69 on: 24 September, 2019, 06:40:34 am »
Almost 1 month after I raised the Strava support ticket, in the past few days a human has been responding to the ticket with some news.

After I explained in the ticket that I had the file size reduced by someone on the Garmin Forum and it uploaded fine, the support person was wondering if I wanted to ever upload the original. I said no, but enquired if Strava were going to roll out a fix for uploads that stall (with a file under the Strava limit of 25Mb). Seems that they have, although I haven't tried to upload a 10Mb file yet. See response from Strava below;

The issue has been fixed. But those stalled uploads will never reupload without us manually trying to reupload them. Or you could reupload with the file itself if you wanted to. Any new upload of that size should be processed without a problem.

Lets hope it works!

simonp

« Reply #70 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:01:46 am »
They manually uploaded mine. However, segment matching is not done - this is the part of the process that triggered the stall, apparently.

I'm tempted to now delete the original and replace it with a simplified version.