Author Topic: One of the cats has FORL what to do?  (Read 2237 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
One of the cats has FORL what to do?
« on: 13 November, 2019, 05:25:31 pm »
So boy cat is just over two years old and has forl and looks like tooth extraction time.  Is there anything I can do instead as don't fancy a toothless cat.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: One of the cats has FORL what to do?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2019, 05:48:20 pm »
What is he eating? Harder food like biscuits can clean teeth and look after gums.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2019, 07:20:50 pm »
Googling suggests no known reason and no cure I’m afraid. If anything harder food may make it more painful.  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2019, 07:28:19 pm »
Yes, ignore what I said, it looks like extraction is the only answer.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2019, 10:26:38 pm »
LMC had this. She now has no teeth. It's a small mercy till you meet her claws. It's like fighting a small squad of angry hyperactive Zorros.

The absence of teeth doesn't bother her. She still eats hard food, just crushes it with her mighty mouth. She's still got some bite going on.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2019, 11:25:23 pm »
LMC had this. She now has no teeth. It's a small mercy till you meet her claws. It's like fighting a small squad of angry hyperactive Zorros.

The absence of teeth doesn't bother her. She still eats hard food, just crushes it with her mighty mouth. She's still got some bite going on.

How old was LMC first extraction?

What can I do to stop the progression?

ian

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2019, 09:23:26 am »
Hmm, quite young, must have been 3–4.

The first extraction was the final, they all came out. The vet offered us the choice of taking them out piecemeal or at once. Apparently it's intractable and was already affecting most of her teeth, so they'd likely all come out in the end, but she'd have years of discomfort and multiple surgeries to get there. Given it involves general anaesthetic and LMC really, really doesn't like going to the vet, we opted for the single surgery and out they all came.

I don't believe there's anything you can do to stop it. If it's only affecting a few teeth, the vet may feel it's best just to remove those affected and see what happens to the rest. But any surgery under GA is traumatic and contains an element of risk.

That said, if she's bothered by the fact, she's not said. Honestly, she doesn't seem to realise. She still gums the occasional mouse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2019, 02:50:33 pm »
Vets are talking about a tooth or two.

Am concerned about the cat/cats teeth future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2019, 03:51:36 pm »
And now the story continues  ::-)

Cats have been clingy all day, trying to figure out if this is more than normal as I am pre occupied.  Girlfriend chatting to her work friend now says that the cat diet should me no wet food and just nuggets.  As her cat had the same and this change did it for her cat. 

ian

« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2019, 08:19:32 pm »
Actually, I've remembered that LMC had gingivostomatitis and not FORL, but the outcome isn't dissimilar and involves a large bill. Our vet had a skiing habit that we had to fund.

Anyway, cats are evidently fine without teeth, so I wouldn't worry too much. Both complaints are common in cats and vets will have had experience of the conditions so I'd take their advice. A cat can't tell you it has toothache.

Nothing I've just read online has indicated that food type plays much of a role or that a change will have much influence. I'm not a vet of course, but I used to go out with one. As chat-up lines go, I think 'so, do you know how to a fix a sick shark?' is the best of my limited repertoire.

For the record, if you're a shark in distress, avoid her. She doesn't know.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2019, 01:31:49 am »
Our first grey cat had all his teeth removed (for gingivitis, not FORL)

The little shit just gummed me instead of drawing blood.

As a food monster, he showed no ill effects.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2019, 02:26:03 pm »
Hello

You guys are right, I just feel bad that I have a pair of cats with issues that will cause then pain and suffering.  Should I get a second opinion?

ian

« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2019, 11:01:28 pm »
Pets will always have veterinary issues and you'll always have vet bills, those are pet-owning certainties.

Consult your vet, they're been to school and generally have a far better bedside manner than doctors. They can advise on the best treatment options. Both conditions are very common in cats.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 26 November, 2019, 08:07:12 pm »
Ok went to another vets for a second opinion.  The other vets practice vet talked about the cats are a bit young for forl, and the only real way to diagnose forl is to x ray the cats and see.  The vets at home vet didn't mentioned that.  The second vet looked and the redness looks like gingivitis to her.  Well toothpaste or oral hygiene gel, and twice a day application of said gel.  Tried with a finger, have ended up getting one of rubber toothbrush finger things as the teeth are sharp.