Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 389575 times)

Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1775 on: 21 August, 2020, 10:36:10 am »
You only get the base version but that's still pretty good.

I still haven't got a computer to try it on though. It's also apparently going to be released on the Xbox eventually which is a hell of a lot of computing power for a lot less than a gaming PC. I wonder if it's going to be the same version or if it will be a stripped down version? There's very little information on the web.

XBox's etc are much more friendly at accepting third party controllers etc than games machines used to be. As I have to wait a while to save up I'll see how things develop after the X-Series launch currently predicted for November.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1776 on: 21 August, 2020, 11:11:56 am »
Asobo/Microsoft are not even guessing at a date for the X-Box version. It's probably as much as a year away. Those of us with the Premium Deluxe licence are having to wait for the extra stuff to be rolled out, so no-one has anything but the basic version yet. My limited time playing with the sim shows me that their flight models are not great, as I've already said. It's very pretty to look at, at least in areas where Bing has lots of data, but it's not so much better than P3Dv5 with Orbx scenery add-ons that I'd walk away from the Lockheed product. And, as yet, most of us haven't worked out the nitty-gritties of the SDK so we can produce the extras that will take it from a game to a decent sim!

« Reply #1777 on: 21 August, 2020, 12:07:34 pm »
Ah, I hadn't realised the premium packages weren't available yet. It seems there is a long term road map so it's got a long way to go. They claim to continue to add new Bing data automatically onto the servers as they develop it.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

TimC

« Reply #1778 on: 21 August, 2020, 12:19:02 pm »
They do - it's an automated process, so it happens all the time. In fact, it looks like the demand from MSFS users will be such that it will be a bigger driver of Bing Maps data collection than any other economic unit!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1779 on: 21 August, 2020, 03:08:20 pm »
Low flying aircraft  Requires *spit* Javascript.

In other news.  Dirty great Antonov inbound to Brize a few days ago.  No pics. Sorry.

Oh and an odd coincidence.  Pic. of a large scale model of a B&V 141 in this month's AeroModeller.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1780 on: 21 August, 2020, 03:47:46 pm »

In other news.  Dirty great Antonov inbound to Brize a few days ago.  No pics. Sorry.

Oh and an odd coincidence.  Pic. of a large scale model of a B&V 141 in this month's AeroModeller.

That Antonio made a bit of noise didn’t it? I’m on the base leg turn so get the full benefit of movements in.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1781 on: 21 August, 2020, 05:30:55 pm »

It's a bit big mate!

No probs, we'll just fold the wings up.  :P

One of my all-time favourite aircraft, I had an airfix model back in the day that had a rotating bomb-bay. I'd never noticed the hump-back shape though.

Lots of noisy stuff round here as well, but not as big as that Antonov
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1782 on: 21 August, 2020, 06:08:29 pm »
In other news.  Dirty great Antonov inbound to Brize a few days ago.  No pics. Sorry

4- or 6-engined model?  Saw one o' the former parked at Hartsfield-Jackson a few years ago.  Big.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

« Reply #1783 on: 21 August, 2020, 09:05:10 pm »
In other news.  Dirty great Antonov inbound to Brize a few days ago.  No pics. Sorry

4- or 6-engined model?  Saw one o' the former parked at Hartsfield-Jackson a few years ago.  Big.
Good question.  Was out on a post work perambulation with MrsLurker* so didn't, "stop and stare", do I look daft? Don't answer that, it was rhetorical.   Just glanced up, saw stupidly massive shape defying the laws of physics and thought, "Ah, another** Antonov" before continuing the stroll.  Will pay more attention next time.

*Who can now, after extensive coaching, reliably distinguish between a C-17, an A-400M & a C-130 and she *was* a dab hand at recognising VC-10s, but they have gone the way of the Dodo.

*They're not especially common, but they're not especially rare.

ElyDave

« Reply #1784 on: 22 August, 2020, 04:54:48 pm »
So I signed up to the Game Pass for £1 for the first month.

Core I7-8650, 16GB Ram and it's not good enough because it doesn't have a separate GPU!
Now I could understand that meaning it'll not perform well, but even at minimum resolution, 30fps and offline play, it is just so slow to load it is unplayable.

TimC

« Reply #1785 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:56:10 am »
Loading times are an issue on almost any spec of computer, but trying to use this game on a computer using an integrated GPU is extremely unlikely to work. Realistically, it needs a modern GPU (Nvidia 1070 or later) with 8Gb of VRAM. It will run on less-capable kit, but not well. But the same is true of XP11 and P3Dv5, and the latter really needs 32Gb of system RAM as well, so MSFS isn't unduly demanding.

« Reply #1786 on: 28 August, 2020, 05:57:33 am »
Ok, so now it's starting to get tricky!

https://i.imgur.com/cu0KOqK.mp4

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1787 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:52:52 am »

The graphics are amazing!
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #1788 on: 28 August, 2020, 12:57:04 pm »

Nice one Jakob :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #1789 on: 28 August, 2020, 01:57:33 pm »
Twitchy instructor hand on the controls, I remember that well from my light aircraft hours.

Great Stuff.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1790 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:11:36 am »
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1791 on: 29 August, 2020, 04:49:58 pm »
Low flying...

https://twitter.com/Defence_blog/status/1299370429740650496

Yak skazaty ukrayinsʹkoyu movoyu "It'll buff out"?

More a case of missing the landing point during an improvised runway exercise rather than a case of trying to imitate Ray Hanna going wrong, which explains why there's less of a dent in the edge of the intake than I'd expect.

The pilot's lucky - if his approach had been a tad to the left, the sign would have gone straight down the intake duct.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1792 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:50:49 pm »
Catching up on this thread, I see one of the myriad ways Whirlybirds like to try and give their pilots a bad day in the office has not been mentioned; hence I present the following, to be sung to the tune of 'Spider-Man':

Vortex ring, vortex ring/ kills you deader than a very dead thing/ blades lose lift/ fall out the sky/you crash and burn/ and then you die/ look out!/ here comes a vortex ring...

TheLurker

« Reply #1793 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:03:40 pm »
B-52s are back, turned up a week or so ago. Six I believe.  Watched 3 head out in quick succession this morning. Eastbound (ish) take off.  Quite unusual that, usually only get to see them landing.  What I take to be the same 3 just gone over inbound.

« Reply #1794 on: 31 August, 2020, 09:24:39 pm »
Did you see the footage of the SU27s bothering B52s over the Baltic a day ago?

Unless the US has B52s based elsewhere in Europe, I'm guessing they would be the Fairford planes

« Reply #1795 on: 31 August, 2020, 10:24:36 pm »
Did you see the footage of the SU27s bothering B52s over the Baltic a day ago?

From what I was reading yesterday, the dangerous intercept occurred over the Black Sea.

https://youtu.be/MGL5shiPGCQ

Source: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36072/pentagon-releases-terrifying-video-of-russian-su-27-turning-directly-in-front-of-a-b-52

Unless the US has B52s based elsewhere in Europe, I'm guessing they would be the Fairford planes

Fairford's the only European airfield used by American heavy bombers.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1796 on: 02 September, 2020, 04:27:26 am »

« Reply #1797 on: 02 September, 2020, 02:43:18 pm »
An F-16 just screamed over our house at about 100 ft. We get quite a few F-15s and Eurofighters as we are in a low fly training zone but that's the first time I have seen an F-16 here.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1798 on: 02 September, 2020, 03:02:25 pm »

« Reply #1799 on: 02 September, 2020, 04:34:21 pm »

When I was a teen, I did a fair bit of orienteering. At the state competition, the news station flew in with a chopper. Landed in a clearing only just big enough. All fine.

They did their filming, headed back to chopper.

Only trouble was, the wind had got up. Fine as they started to take off, but as they ascended, wind took them sideways . . .  Memory has it that there was about 20ft between blades and trees on all sides. I remember watching the pilot making about 4 attempts before managing to clear the trees.

Brown trousers all round, I reckon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>